What's the deal with interstate pokie trade?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hello all, I would like to know what the deal is with the interstate sale of some species of Poecilotheria. I have only heard about it second hand, so could someone direct me to where more information can be found along with a list of what species it affects? Also, is it illegal to drive them across a state line to sell/trade (I think it is, but I just want to clarify)?

Many thanks,

Arthroverts

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hello all, I would like to know what the deal is with the interstate sale of some species of Poecilotheria. I have only heard about it second hand, so could someone direct me to where more information can be found along with a list of what species it affects? Also, is it illegal to drive them across a state line to sell/trade (I think it is, but I just want to clarify)?

Many thanks,

Arthroverts
There is a whole thread sticked to the top of this forum about this. In case you don't feel like wading through 13 pages of opinion and misinformation, go straight to the United States Fish and Wildlife Service page on foreign endangered species.

https://www.fws.gov/endangered/what-we-do/foreign-species.html

or go straight to the FAQ

https://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa-library/pdf/USFWS-5-Sri-Lankan-Poecilotheria-Q-As-final.pdf

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
5 species of Poecilotheria can't be shipped or sold across state lines, P. fasciata, P. ornata, P. smithi, P. subfusca, and P. vittata.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Sorry about that @AphonopelmaTX, I thought that sticky was for something else (not sure why). Thanks for sparing me from wading through the 13 pages though :).

Thanks @Mvtt70!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Theneil

Arachnoprince
5 species of Poecilotheria can't be shipped or sold across state lines, P. fasciata, P. ornata, P. smithi, P. subfusca, and P. vittata.
The can be shipped across state lines. Just not for any commercial reason. If it is a bonafide Gift, Moving ones personal collection, or a breeding loan they can be shipped across states

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Sorry about that @AphonopelmaTX, I thought that sticky was for something else (not sure why). Thanks for sparing me from wading through the 13 pages though :).

Thanks @Mvtt70!

Thanks,

Arthroverts
It may be 13 pages but I found the discussion to be very insightful/thought provoking on some aspects of the hobby and not to be completely senseless blather. Might still be worth skimming through it.