whats the best burrowing scorp to get?

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
one that i can actually find in some reptile stores. i want one that really burrows.

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My tri color burrowing scorpion has really made some neat and deep burrows. Not sure if you will be able to find in a reptile shop. Alot of pet or reptile shops you have found a good find if you find a scorp besides a emporer.

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i need a species or name tho of one i can find

i think the fat tailed scorps r freakin awesome. i just wanna know of scorps in stores that burrow a lot a species or common name of some.do the fat tailed scorps burrow a lot?

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What scorps exactly do they have at this reptile shop you go too?

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that fat-tailed do not burrow, they prefer to hide under things, instead of doing big burrows, I think that alot of Opistophthalmus ssp. do burrow.

Frank

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
African Burrowing Scorpions...

rarely a better place to look for a good burrowing scorpion than the Opistophtalmus Spp. I'd be pretty surprised if you got a hold of any other than O. Glabrifrons (yellow legged burrowing) or O. Ecristatus (Tri-colored). Their colors are spectacular but for your own enjoyment try the galleries in The Scorpion Files. some hadrurus are apparently quite the fossorial scorpions as well. i'm also impressed daily by my three H. spinifer scorplings (complements of Diao) who dig rapidly each night.

hope i could help,
-matt

Last edited:

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My fault I was under the imoression you were buying theses from a reptile pet store near you.

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LLL is 45 minutes away from my house. and i go there to get supplies for my pairs of panther chameleons. i just happened to see maybe 50 containers of scorpions. thats only one of there stores, they have another maybe an hour from that one. look on there site tho

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh thats cool its so close too you. <edited - Satanika> Not sure why the hadrurus arizonensis common name is listed as desert stripe tail never heard that before. Good having a dealer near you.:)

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are tri colors cool? whats their scientific name? and do they burrow?

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The scientific name for the ones they have is Opistothalmus whalberghi. Depens what exactly what they have some dealers have been selling some commonly known as mozambique hissing scorp which I have which doesent burrow deep at least the one I have doesent. The tri color I have with more yellow in it is burrowed about 6 inches down. I would recomend either.:)

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
see, i know that desert hairies are like guaranteed to burrow. i want sumpin else that burrows deep into sand or peat. my chinese golden scorpion doesnt burrow when i wet the top, it waited til it got all sandy, then it just flicked all this sand away and just stayed in the corner and made no burrow. i have no rocks in the tank, i just made an indentation with a wire coat hanger and it's in there now. good prices on the fat taileds i though. some were about 4''. i've usually seen them about 3'' the most. i have a red tube lamp thats maybe 40 watts, but it doesnt give off a lot of heat, if i place that on an end of the tank, will it make it's own burrow to get away from the heat? it has a pretty nasty, mild sting to it. it got the 3/5 and the death stalker owns the 5. so i'm thinkin i dont wanna get stung by this golden scorp of mine. i love how it mutilates it's crickets though. like 10 stings a cricket. so if u got any ideas for my setup, tell me what to add, cuz i have no rocks, just the sand. if i should use that tube bulb, or anything else. u have any pics of ur scorps? if u do i'd like to see em.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Emps (P.imperator) and Asian forest scorpions(Heterometrus sp.) are great burrowers if you want to have something that likes to dig. Put them on 6-8 inches of moist peat and they will dig a nice burrow and chamber in a few days.

John
];')

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've had emperors before but all they did was dig beneath a rock i had in there. they never burrowed. i'm just gonna fix on getting a desert hairy, and if they're out, then i'm going with a fat tailed, i guess.

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see that this post has been making it's way to the bottom of the board but, i stopped in a local pet store and had the pleasure of watching two mature O. Ecristatus consume a few crickets. They each stung their prey (multiple times) while it was within the confines of their pincers. They're very agile and active to an almost restless degree. I've always been partial to O. Austerus' and O. Glabrifrons' appearences but i these were just as impressive to watch.

-Matt

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, i looked at some pics of ecristatus. they look pretty cool. i'll have to have a lookout for those. maybe i'll just have to order one.