What's ok to put in your enclosures.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Candles, sprays, and such are not sold in children's toy stores.

When it comes to toxins, children's toys have much tighter rules than most things. Baby toys are usually safest—though I can't imagine why a T owner would put one in an enclosure. I've seen them repurposed at rescues and the zoo I volunteered for (often for birds and small mammals). And while the animals who used them were vertebrates—they were also extremely sensitive to chemicals (especially birds). I also have done some toy/action figure collecting myself and learned a little bit this way.

I personally would think very carefully before putting anything different in my T tank (and I prefer mine to look natural), but I honestly think most newer kid's toys (when it comes to chemicals) are as safe as or even safer than a fake plant.

Over chemicals, I'd be more concerned about whether my T could get injured on it (especially if there are pointy parts) and how much of a PITA it would be keeping clean or giving prey another place to hide.

One can never be too cautious is all I meant.

And the candles/sprays was a different example adding to the topic. I realize it's not the same risk as a pointed object would be. Or one that could leak something into the substrate.

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
One can never be too cautious is all I meant.

And the candles/sprays was a different example adding to the topic. I realize it's not the same risk as a pointed object would be. Or one that could leak something into the substrate.
I understand. It's amazing how some things that are benign to us can hurt animals, isn't it?

What I'm saying I think chemicals on most kid's toys (newer ones especially—certain kinds from China prior to 2008 do have lead) are probably not going to be an issue as long as long they have no offgassing smell and sold in stores that sell to children (versus only collector's comic book shops), because of tighter regulations on toys.

Toys are regulated to be in children's mouths or touched by sensitive thinner skin. Fake plants are not. This is why I say toys sold in places for kids are probably as safe or safer than plastic plants when it comes to chemicals.

However—like you—I'd be most concerned about injury as a lot of action figures have pointy parts and are made of hard plastic. That's a safety concern.

If the OP takes this into consideration, they may be able to decorate with some toys. It may not be something you or I care to do with our Ts' enclosures, but I can't judge someone else's aesthetic choices as long as they take into consideration safety for their pets first.