Whats new and shiny?

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whats new and shiny? so I've been out of the loop for the last year maybe year and a half. thought I'd ask what the new tarantulas are out there that everyone is eager to get? seems there there are a few new species every year. Also have I missed any big name changes?

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia purpurea maybe? I'm not really sure what you could've missed really. I haven't even been in the hobby a year and a half yet xD

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope. I just named something I've seen become more available xD

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool but I was more so hoping for newly introduce tarantulas to the hobby and name changes on old species. I do love Avics my favorite genus of all time

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Theraphosa blondi was "split". There is now, Theraphosa stirmi which is very closely(visually at least) identical to T. blondi.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Citharischius crawshayi is now Pelinobius muticus

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
this hobby added ME to it last november lol ... thats new

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. smithi and P. hanumavillasumica are now readily available. Just really expensive.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dont forget P. tigriniwesseli
That one was around and fairly common for years now. Same with just about everything else mentioned except for Idiothele mira.

Cyriopagopus sp Sumatran tiger is also new and awesome. Not sure if it was around and year and a half ago, but it's new since I got out of the hobby a couple years ago.

Last edited:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cyriopagopus sp Sumatran tiger is also new and awesome. Not sure if it was around and year and a half ago, but it's new since I got out of the hobby a couple years ago.
Definitely need more of these in the hobby, so hard to find!

Augacephalus sp. Mozambique has been named A. ezendami. Avicularia sp. Peru purple is now....urticans? Something like that....

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That one was around and fairly common for years now. Same with just about everything else mentioned except for Idiothele mira.
This may be the next T. On my hit list I also need to build up my Avics again.