1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's my AGB millipede doing?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by davehuth, Mar 12, 2018.

1. davehuth

davehuth Arachnosquire Active Member

These questions from noobs probably get a little annoying to the veterans. I've searched here and found some descriptions of what's going on, and all the advice has been to relax. However...

This yearling has been in this exact position for 8 weeks now. Over top is a light piece of wood. Every few days I lift the wood to check. It responds by curling a little more tightly, so it's not dead or unresponsive. Temp and humidity seem right.

Here are my questions:

1. I've heard surface moults are usually quick. Consider this my obligatory "IS EIGHT WEEKS TOO LONG SHOULD I CALL THE MILLIE AMBULANCE, ETC." question.

2. Is there a reason for me to stop lifting the wood every 3 or 4 days to peek? I swear I'm being careful but...

Thanks in advance, you patient brainiacs... ! :)
  2. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnodemon Active Member

8 weeks is not too long. I had a surface molt with my gordanus last month and it scared me to tell the truth. There was a lot of dirt caked on her head and she wasn't even moving her legs for a long time. Fortunately she did molt in about 6 weeks, but I isolated her to be safe (she was in with very active Narceus americanus).

If there is no other millipede bothering the AGB than leave it be. If it can still respond to movement it should be fine, it takes a millipede much longer than two months to die of starvation. Continue checking on it though, AGBs can be a little odd but most are very hardy.
  3. davehuth

davehuth Arachnosquire Active Member

Thanks for the reassurances! I have it in its own enclosure and will keep a close, CAREFUL eye on how it's going. I appreciate the input because if i can learn to do this well, I'd like to get another and try breeding this amazing species. Gotta know I can keep them happy and healthy first, though, before making the investment. I learn a lot from the pooled knowledge here, so thank you
    • Like Like x 1