Whats best to feed crickets.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I feed my crickets, dubia, and superworms a commercial bug food - Repashy.

It seems to be working well.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Right. I know there are items on the market like 'gutload' and whatnot. I was inquiring about items that are available/semi-available that we could potentially feed to the crics.
It isn't a **hot topic** I was simply wondering if anyone with experience/knowledge knew anything on the subject.
No matter- I offered the bonito fish flakes, and the crics are munching away. ;)

houston

Arachnopeon
Imo, gutloading is a good way to get yourself caught in an anxiety loop. While its better to have feeders that haven't been living off garbage their whole life, tarantulas and other insectivores are built to survive off even those garbagey insects. Most of the feeder's content comes from how it was raised anyway-- theres only so much you can do in the week or so you have them.
Unless your animal is ill/ needs more of a particular nutrient/ less of a particular nutrient, I wouldn't worry too much.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Imo, gutloading is a good way to get yourself caught in an anxiety loop. While its better to have feeders that haven't been living off garbage their whole life, tarantulas and other insectivores are built to survive off even those garbagey insects. Most of the feeder's content comes from how it was raised anyway-- theres only so much you can do in the week or so you have them.
Unless your animal is ill/ needs more of a particular nutrient/ less of a particular nutrient, I wouldn't worry too much.
Thank you for responding. :) Please do not mistake my curiosity for uneasiness. I simply had a question and desired an answer. :cat:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I haven't bought feeders in over 10 years, I raise feeders over here. I feed roaches and crickets fish flakes but I've never heard of "bonita" fishflakes, sounds like it works. I feed hissers, dubias and crickets fishflakes, now and then cat food or dog food, and sometimes pre-mixed salad greens in those plastic containers at the grocery stores, says "organic" on them but who knows. I throw in half an orange, apple, or pair sometimes. If I'm going to be out of town even for a few weeks, half a potato works for moisture, keeps them going. I have 1000s of hissers and dubias, the crickets peak out during the hotter months here in texas and in winter I just have a sustaining colony going on.