What's a popular tarantula species/genus you'd never keep and why

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Aphonopelma
Not really interested in brown and tan spiders. Mostly due to space. I didn’t want a bird eater.......but got a free L.para
So there goes that.

Also a G rosea. I don’t really want a spider that potentially won’t eat for 2 years.
Maybe a few crazy old worlds. Seen some wild OBTs but the black colour form looks really cool so who knows.

Bierschneeman

Arachnopeon
Aphonopelma
Not really interested in brown and tan spiders. Mostly due to space. I didn’t want a bird eater.......but got a free L.para
So there goes that.

Also a G rosea. I don’t really want a spider that potentially won’t eat for 2 years.
Maybe a few crazy old worlds. Seen some wild OBTs but the black colour form looks really cool so who knows.
look at Aphonopelma bicoloratum, and Aphonopelma moorae, not a spot of brown on them

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
look at Aphonopelma bicoloratum, and Aphonopelma moorae, not a spot of brown on them
I’ve seen the bicoloratum for sale actually just like a week ago. They do look nice. There’s always exceptions to the “rules” personally I feel like I already am pushing my limit with how many I have and I’d rather get another avic or a spider that is very different from most in the hobby, like the six eyed sand spider for example.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I’ve seen the bicoloratum for sale actually just like a week ago. They do look nice. There’s always exceptions to the “rules” personally I feel like I already am pushing my limit with how many I have and I’d rather get another avic or a spider that is very different from most in the hobby, like the six eyed sand spider for example.
Or a Pamphobeteus species ;)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sicarius sp are absolutely phenomenonal little spiders.

Cherri

Arachnopeon
Id say aphonopelma. But my seemanni and Henzi were some of the chillest ts ive owned. Ther both loved crawling all over me. I was super bummed when my a. Henzi died. I have him framed in my living room now.

Seemanni was an impulse buy from a local pet store for $20 and henzi was wc.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
i also won’t keep a Xenethis, also
Typhochlaena Seladonia waaaay to expensive and too small for me.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
i also won’t keep a Xenethis
Is it because of the cost? I can't see any other reason not to want one. My Xenesthis immanis is always out - never hiding, has a feeding response on par with a genic, and the purple bloom on a black T looks amazing.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Is it because of the cost? I can't see any other reason not to want one. My Xenesthis immanis is always out - never hiding, has a feeding response on par with a genic, and the purple bloom on a black T looks amazing.
Too expensive... yes they look pretty, but for doesn’t justify spending upwards of 300€

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I’ll probably never keep a T. blondi. Their care is more intensive than most Ts. And, the cost of a sling is not worth the risk of a husbandry mistake killing it. I’ve never seen true T. blondis under $150 (I’ve seen T. stirmi that cheap though) for slings. I just cannot justify that cost to my wife right now.
For a mature female she might let me spend that much, but you’ll never find one that price. She did let me drop $125 on a mature female C. Lividus Cobalt Blue. It was the T and the enclosure plus 2 dozen dubia roaches of various sizes. Not a bad deal from a Mom and Pop shop here in town. The manager raised it from a sac his female had. Was nice knowing her full history.

Sykomp

Arachnopeon
Any T with urticating setae, sadly it's not worth the trouble for me. I have G. pulchripes and an LP I love to death, but I'm not going to get any more, I'll stick to "hairless" NWs like psalmos, or move to OWs eventually. Don't get me wrong, I'd really love me some brachys, or a nhandu or a genic... but yeah, just no.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Theraphosa.

I like how they look, but I think the hairs would be too much for me.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I’ll probably never keep a T. blondi. Their care is more intensive than most Ts. And, the cost of a sling is not worth the risk of a husbandry mistake killing it. I’ve never seen true T. blondis under $150 (I’ve seen T. stirmi that cheap though) for slings. I just cannot justify that cost to my wife right now.
For a mature female she might let me spend that much, but you’ll never find one that price. She did let me drop $125 on a mature female C. Lividus Cobalt Blue. It was the T and the enclosure plus 2 dozen dubia roaches of various sizes. Not a bad deal from a Mom and Pop shop here in town. The manager raised it from a sac his female had. Was nice knowing her full history.
I don't know where all this nonsense about T.blondi needing more care than the stirmi or apophysis. It's an absolute joke. Theraphosas need MOIST substrate with plenty of ventilation. That's it. Nothing more nothing less.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I don't know where all this nonsense about T.blondi needing more care than the stirmi or apophysis. It's an absolute joke. Theraphosas need MOIST substrate with plenty of ventilation. That's it. Nothing more nothing less.
I’m just going off what most of the more trusted online sellers like Fear Not Tarantulas put in the species description that the spiderlings are more sensitive to husbandry mistakes than some other larger species. I still wouldn’t get one though even if they are not as fragile as they say. I just can’t justify a $150-$200 spiderling to the Mrs.

Last edited:

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I
I’m just going off what most of the more trusted online sellers like Fear Not Tarantulas put in the species description that the spiderlings are more sensitive to husbandry mistakes than some other larger species. I still wouldn’t get one though even if they are not as fragile as they say. I just can’t justify a $150-$200 spiderling to the Mrs.
It's all good bro. Icu's and T.blondis needing special care really grind my gears. Yeah I hear you about justification to the Mrs, don't want to upset her over a 200$ tarantula.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I
Yeah I hear you about justification to the Mrs, don't want to upset her over a 200$ tarantula.
Trust me I don't want to at all, she is Korean and they are feisty. All that spicy Korean food she eats. When I see her threat posture I run for the garage. :happy: