What's a popular tarantula species/genus you'd never keep and why

Minty

@londontarantulas
T seladonia. Even if it was a reasonable price, it’s too small to interest me much.

I’ve seen a few in person, including a Youtuber’s female, and while the colours are great, there are nicer looking tarantulas, in my humble opinion.

—-

This isn’t a genus I’d say ‘never’ to, but I haven’t seen an Aphonopelma species that appeals to me.

Luka98

Arachnosquire

boina

Lady of the mites
G. iheringi at around 7" or so, actaeon basically look like a shaggy G. pulchra as adults (they used to be referred to as "Brazilian Woolly Black" for this reason).
That's a really cool common name, I didn't know that! Very fitting.

Back to the topic:

I don't like Theraphosa:
They are brown - i don't like brown.
They have really bad hairs from all I hear - I don't really need that.
They are large and need moisture, so I'm going to have a large tub full of moist sub - who's going to lift that?? I'm a small, ederly female :troll:.

I don't like Haplopelma - the ultimate pet hole and I don't like pet holes. I've recently gotten two to see if I'd change my mind if I experienced them, but no. A tub full of substrate still doesn't appeal to me.

Other than that I've realized that you can't really know what you like until you've kept it. There are a few species I thought I'd love and that leave me rather luke warm after keeping them (Hapalopus, H. curator, M. robustum) and others that I didn't really want but after getting one as freebie I'm totally in love (C. fimbriatus - if that one turns out male you can bet I'm getting a female.).

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is easy Lasiodora parahybana and G roses are never gonna happen for me because there are much better tarantula out there. There's even better within their respective genera (much better).

I have to say though if either of these were being mistreated in anyway I would rescue them I just wouldn't buy either with money.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's a really cool common name, I didn't know that! Very fitting.
Yeah, it's been changed to "Pampas Tawny Red" or something like that now.

I've noticed people have started calling G. pulchra "Brazilian Black Velvet" which is actually the common name for Acanthoscurria musculosa.

I'm still hoping that P victori gets a better one than "Mexican Half and Half", that's even worse than when TSS were jokingly calling them "Careless Whisperer"

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
actaeon basically look like a shaggy G. pulchra as adults
I just don't see resemblance at all. I owned a gorgeous AF G. pulchra, and currently the young AF G. actaeon 5.5" DLS. Their body shape is very different. Actaeon and inheringi both have a leggy/lean body to them. And pulchra might as well look like a black emilia. Short, thick, stout heavy bodied.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Similar enough to me, if you cleaned up the leg setae on the actaeon and got rid of the mirror patch they'd almost be twins.

G. actaeon
G. pulchra
I can't help it that you keep the pulchra on some feeding program dug up from a Nazi concentration camp ;)

pulchra is just a black emilia in body size. My actaeon is no where near in shape of those fat stocky Ts, and I keep her pretty satiated.

But reasonable people can always disagree ;)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm still hoping that P victori gets a better one than "Mexican Half and Half", that's even worse than when TSS were jokingly calling them "Careless Whisperer"
Mexican half and half sounds like some spiced up coffee creamer. The hobby name, Darth Maul tarantula, for it sounds better,

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm half Mexican and half Swedish, does that make me a Mexican half and half? Am I actually a tarantula?
I had a friend who was half Mexican and half Italian and everybody called her 'coffee creamer'.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I think it's a Darth Maul T because he gets his lower half cut off in the end of the meme blessed prequel movie, the p victorii is red and black and it's half half
Spoilers would have been nice...

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I was just thinking about this a moment ago: is P. victori named after a person named Victor, or is it named after victory, as in "we finally found a Mexican arboreal, victory is ours!"

Bierschneeman

Arachnopeon
LP.
and Theraphosa

im a little hair kicking shy, because of allergies, and these are supposed to notoriously two of the worse. add to that they are uninteresting to me in both look, and behavior.

there are other bad kickers but at least they look cooler or behave more interestingly (to me)

I like brown tarantula so itsnot that they are brown. (like Phormictopus cancerides is on my want list.)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was just thinking about this a moment ago: is P. victori named after a person named Victor, or is it named after victory, as in "we finally found a Mexican arboreal, victory is ours!"
It's named after a person. I can't remember who, I'd have to look up the paper. I want to say it's after scientist, but could be wrong.