What's a Good Baboon tarantula to start with? Or New World

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
as a reptile owner I know how to deal with not letting them escape.
That's like comparing apples to oranges. Having experience with reptiles doesn't equal having experience with tarantulas.
As @miss moxie said, that's a whole different kettle of fish, we have the fastest spiders in the world* here in Europe (Eratigena atrica), I've been catching and relocating those things for most of my life (and I'm an old-ish fart) but it still didn't prepare me for a P. irminia sling doing a lap of the rim of its enclosure, jumping off and then running halfway across my bed in the time it took me to blink, nor did it prepare me for my E. cyanognathus bolting out of its enclosure, up the tongs and halfway up my arm before my eyes had registered that it'd even moved, they move and behave differently.

*Fastest under their own power, there's some huntsmen that move faster but they cheat by cartwheeling down massive sand dunes (although, to be fair, I'd do the same if something wanted to paralyse me so that its offspring could eat me alive from the inside out at its leisure because that would suck a mountain of wang).

Ignia

Arachnopeon
Why then, prey tell, do you insist on having an OW as your first T? It is not because you know their behaviour is that much different and more interesting than any NW, because that doesn't make sense. The reason you want an OW tarantula is because they are much more venomous so you can brag to your friends that you have a 'dangerous' pet, am I right?

Just let your parents read this thread and see if they agree with you and allow you to start with an OW tarantula, or they will tell you to start with a NW species. Their frontal lobes are more developed so they should be able to make a wiser decision. That is also why they are responsible for you and your behaviour. So it makes sense that they have the last say in the matter ;)
That's not why I want one. I don't want a "dangerous animal to show off". Baboons have always fascinated me. Looking at the suggested new worlds

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
M balfouri, a sling, was my 3rd T. After that, I obtained P Striata and lastly H pulchripes.

This is the unpacking video for H pulchripes. I didn't record the other earlier unboxing. Although pricey, this one can be considered a starter baboon as can the M balfouri, which is a bit cheaper.

I'd just advise sticking to a sling. They're hardy and it's fun to watch them grow. You also get to grow with and learn from your tarantula.

Hybris (Greek goddess of insolence) ate within 72 hours of transfer and had webbing as well.

Do yourself a favor. Stick to almost totally transparent enclosures purpose built for tarantulas. They need not be top dollar but should be a proven design, such as the Jamie's 4x4x4 seen above. Even a $200 enclosure (unnecessary of course) pales in expense to a ride in an ambulance!! I used a cheap enclosure.jpg

I'm joking of course, but my enclosures are built by others. I put in a few mods here and there but think of the enclosure as the interface between yourself and the tarantula.

This is M balfouri, suspect female but I'm still trying to get 2nd, 3rd, 4th.... opinions.

M balfouri 1-21-18 4.jpg M balfouri Maxine new home chilling.jpg M balfouri Maxine redo 1.jpg

Actually the substrate wasn't half as damp as it appears there. Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
M balfouri Maxine 2nd day.jpg

This is what my M balfouri sling looked like the day after unpacking. She still hasn't settled in yet. She located the starter burrow a few hours later and began building her home.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
How about start off with what actually makes baboons fascinating to you, and look at which NW tarantulas are most similar. Is it attitude? Habits? If you can find something you like and can care for, maybe a Euathlus sp "red" or psalmopoeus, get it. I hear that P. muticus (the King baboon) only start to get difficult and defensive with size (which is good because they're slow growers), maybe get some experience with NWs first and then get a P. muticus sling

Comparing reptiles to an OW tarantula in terms of experience is like saying keeping a leopard gecko will prepare you for keeping a rattlesnake, they're entirely different

sasker

Arachnoprince
Guys, OP posted on 16 August for the last time in this threat and was last seen on this forum on 26 August. He must have bought his tarantula by now, or decided to stick with reptiles. Either way, I doubt he is going to read this.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Guys, OP posted on 16 August for the last time in this threat and was last seen on this forum on 26 August. He must have bought his tarantula by now, or decided to stick with reptiles. Either way, I doubt he is going to read this.
First time I reply to an old thread without realising and it's one of these threads asking about starter OWs :banghead:

krombo

Arachnopeon
Yeah, and to criticise people who's first language is not English... Try writing your comment in impeccable Italian ;)
JEEZ LOUISE PAPA CHEEZ DID U GUYS EVEN SEE THE REF THE ONLY ONE WHO DID WAS CHRIS YUOUE GUYS ARE SOE STUIUIOPID SOMETINES
PAH