What Would You Do?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Hypothetical here.
You see a snake consuming a puppy/kitten, what do you do?

Thread may seem obscene, making it do (in part) disprove some "animal lover/activist" who believes that snakes are nothing but ruthless monsters.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I would try and save the pup or kitten if it was still alive. That's probably someones pet, I'd be heart broken if one of my pets got eaten by a snake, especially if someone could've saved my pet and didn't. But if I saw a snake eating a mouse/frog/bunny or whatever wild animal I would just leave it, after snapping a bunch of cool photos. :p

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I'd definitely leave it in most cases, especially since I think I'd be more likely to cause injury by trying to get involved. Plus I like snakes.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I'd only intervene if it was wearing a collar or if I knew it was someone's pet, and then only if it was a nonvenomous snake where there would be a chance of rescue. Otherwise, it's a case of predation by a native species on a feral animal.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I've actually ran into this situation IRL, but it was a squirrel being consumed. We heard it screaming, and found it wrapped up by a black king snake. Snakes have to eat so we just stood there and observed. I would intervene though if it was a cat or dog. As someone else mentioned, it would most likely be someones pet. But if said cat or dog was already nearly dead, there wouldn't be a point in trying. Unless it had a collar/name tag, I'd just leave the snake to it's meal.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I rather enjoy seeing cats try to play with and harass cobras. Just desserts.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Hard question! If the puppy/kitten was lifeless, I'd let it be but if there is any movement from them, I'm jumping in to help.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Splitting hairs here, but if the snake is constricting the cat/dog and I think I can safely (for myself and the snake) stop it from dying I would intervene. If the snake is in the middle, or even just starting, to actually eat the animal I would not do anything. That is far more dangerous for the snake, not just depriving it of a meal, but trying to unhook the teeth of most of the large constrictors is hard to do without harming it.
If it is a venomous snake, I'd definitely leave it alone. First, the cat or dog is already dead if it has been bitten. Second, despite my education and love of snakes, I don't constantly have the tools for dealing with venomous snakes.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
If there was a chance the pet might be savable, sure, I'd rescue it.

And probably keep it, because what kind of owner would be so negligent as to let their animal roam unsupervised? That's pretty much asking for it to get killed horribly. Forget snakes, there's cars, poison, other animals, and so many other deadly or harmful things out there.

Last edited: