What would be a good enclosure for a Brazilian Salmon pink bird eater?

Aqual

Arachnopeon
I know they grow very fast, should I give it something a little bit bigger than I normally would?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'd probably keep it in something roughly 2-4" in diameter for a while, depending what containers you have access to.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's about half an inch.
They grow fast, but maybe not as fast as you think. Don't expect a "giant" spider within two years. If we're talking about L. parahybana, then they hurry up to get 4-5" and then slow quite a bit down. My 6" girl has been in premolt for the better part of a year now. Stick to a deli cup at that size, and rehouse as needed. For growing slings/juvies, the new enclosures are usually about 5x dls across to allow for at least a couple molts before rehousing again.

Large enclosures aren't just a waste of space. They're designed for larger animals, meaning small cracks and gaps aren't really an issue to the manufacturer... but a big issue to you.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
On the other end of things...what would be considered an acceptable size for a full-grown LP? I bought a 15 gallon Zilla enclosure because it was 1/2 price, with thoughts of it being my LP's permanent enclosure. Sure, it has a screen lid, but that can be fixed. And I'm really gonna be cramped for space when the others need upgraded, so that 15 gallon will be my best option.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Should work fine. I keep every adult tarantula in 5.5 gal tanks except my t stirmi and LP. The LP is in a 10 gal, which is perfect.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, I was going to go the ten-gallon route myself until I got a decent deal on the 15 gallon. I'll be able to go a bit more naturalistic with the bit of extra space provided. I have a nice piece of cork bark that I was gonna have to cut, for example. It should look good in the bigger tank without having to modify it.

I had to pass up an even more fantastic deal. It would not have been for tarantulas though. A brand-new 55 gallon tank at 75% off, making it about 25 dollars. But I have absolutely no space for another 55 gallon. Or currently nothing to put in another one, but that would have been easily rectified.