1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first OW and why?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Luka98, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Advertisement
    Thank you! That is my main girl, Orb. She is a sweetheart! She is on a sac right now. They are an AMAZING species... you'll love yours when you get one!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Enrgy

Enrgy Arachnosquire

lmaoo

• Like Like x 1
  3. MikeofBorg

MikeofBorg Arachnosquire

I got my first OW a few months ago. I got a mature female C. lividus (Cobalt Blue) from a mom and pop shop here in town. The manager raised her and a few other slings to sell from an egg sack his female produced; which is the reason I purchased her. Plus I am friends with him. I absolutely do not mess with her. Rehousing her is like pulling a tiger's tail. She is feisty that is for sure. Very gorgeous spider though. Dark blue legs and light gray carapace. Her abdomen can look blue or gray with light tiger striping depending on the angle of the light. This is her poking her head out of her hide.
    7344AFF3-2E2D-418D-A572-77A14A33CB11.jpeg

I also received my 2nd OW as a sling, a Poecilotheria rufilata. Its just over an inch and 3/4 in DLS. Beautiful spider, already has some adult coloration. Sorry about the glare from the plastic.
    E0D23218-784E-4B47-9B6D-856BC5147501.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Love Love x 1
  4. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

First OW was a P. ornata I received as a freebie which turned out male.
    OBT was second in which I bought.

• Like Like x 2
  5. An A. junodi, the price was too good to pass up and been planning to get an OW anyway. Now half of my collection are OW species.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Potatatas

Potatatas Arachnoknight Active Member

Wales
    P. regalis, saw a pic of one on here and it was gorgeous! I took into account the advice not to get one while still being a newbie but got one anyway. Next on my list is an OBT and in the future hopefully an M. balfouri

• Like Like x 3
  7. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

Ever seen the rattlesnake tarantula out there?

8. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh Arachnosupporter

In Australia? No, I haven’t been there sadly :(

9. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

Sorry, i meant if you've ever heard of it. Guess you have..lol

10. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I started with a King Cobra as my first snake, a Great White Shark as my first fish, and a salt water crocodile as a lap dog. My first cat was a Bengal Tiger.

And for OW T.... Ceratgyrus is the best beginner.

• Funny Funny x 7
  11. Phlogius rubiseta. Was my first tarantula and I quite like the look of them

• Like Like x 1
  12. ComputerDellLI

ComputerDellLI Arachnopeon

Seeing as you're from Victoria, does the 'bark' of crassipes sound anything like the 'hiss' of P. muticus? Btw, rubiseta looks gorgeous for an Australian T.

13. Sort of. The “bark” is like a raspy rattle, it sounds more like a watered down version of the rattlesnake tarantula than it does to a P. muticus, though I’m pretty sure crassipes can be quite a bit louder than muticus

• Like Like x 1
  14. johnny quango

johnny quango Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

My 1st old world's (I got 2 together) were a male H crassipes and an adult female H minax and the reason I got them was because I was slightly crazy.

Real reason my friend just simply couldn't find buyers for either at the time

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Misty Day

Misty Day Arachnobaron

P.regalis sling, my first T and being a stupid kid, I fell in love with the colors and just decided to get it. I did a ton of research, which still wouldn't justify getting a fast OW as a first T imo, but 5 years later shes around 7" and one of my favorites. Thankfully she's always been a breeze during rehouses and enclosure maintenance, as long as I leave her alone she leaves me alone.

IMAG0147_2.jpg

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    Pterinochilus murinus, Chilobrachys fimbriatus, Poecilotheria rufilata, Thrigmopoeus truculentus, Poecilotheria metallica. They all arrived on the same day. I acquired them as a friend had to get out of the hobby, so they were all free.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nightshady

Nightshady Dislike Harvester

After a year of NW’s, I got 4 OW’s at once - P metallica, M. balfouri, H. pulchripes, and P. muticus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  18. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnosquire

My first was a Cyriopagopus Vonwirthi and because it was there and I’ve always wanted a “Haplopelma” “tiger” tarantula

• Like Like x 2
  19. Luka98

Luka98 Arachnosquire

khuj
    This is why it worked out in the end imo, you had respect for her :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

My first OW was a 4" female Ceratogyrus marshalli that I got a year ago at Repticon. The purchase was a bit of an impulse buy, but the species was on my wishlist as one of the commonly recommended first OW tarantula. Plus I could see her horn, and I knew this species is sexually dimorphic.

I now also have an Augacephalus ezendami sling. It's also highly recommended as a first OW tarantula.

Psalmopoeus cambridgei is a great species in its own right. Get one; you won't regret it.

• Like Like x 1