What was your first OW and why?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Chilobrachys huahini, because the seller sent me one as a surprise freebie. I wasn't planning on getting any OWs for at least another 8 months (I'd been in the hobby for 4 months at the time).

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Obt that was a freebie. Turned out to be a male that finally passed last month. Will not be replacing him lol.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
An Atrax robustus that I was lucky enough to get because, one day, Paul 'Crocodile Dundee' Hogan, was eating in a Milano restaurant where I was working... after the lunch, he burped, and that spider all of a sudden materialized. The rest was me grabbing an improvised cutch cup from the kitchen :)

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
Phlogius crassipes, or as it's known now as Selenocosmia crassipes. I'm in love with all things Australia and the tarantulas there are no exception. Also found it fascinating how these spiders make a 'whistling' sound when threatened.
My first old world was a Pterinochilus murinus RCF. I got it at an exotic shop in Margate because judging by the webbing in it's container it was going to make some fantastic webs and that's exactly what it did. So many great memories with that spider. ^ Does Selenocosmia crassipes really make a whistling or barking sound? Because I was thinking either that or a C. fimbriatus next. My P. muticus just stridulates like a snake. I love all things Australian too, but I don't want something that will sound exactly like my marshalli or muticus. (if I'm going to have to raise the pet hole from a sling and humidify it's enclosure)

Last edited:

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Chilobrachys huahini, because the seller sent me one as a surprise freebie. I wasn't planning on getting any OWs for at least another 8 months (I'd been in the hobby for 4 months at the time)
LOL if i ever become a breeder i gotta do this, just send em out in a surprise freebie vial with "Git gud scrub" written on there

Bierschneeman

Arachnopeon
"Invisibilus nonapplicapus". formerly species name nonexistus but i read somewhere the revised the whole genus.

not up to old worlds yet, I am quite comfortable right now with a Megaphobema as my most advanced Tarantula. at less than a month in.

in Six months I will reassess my capabilities but i doubt i will Old world then. Maybe Psalmopoeus, we will see.

PS my first Old world will likely be Orphanaecus phillipinus

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
P. muticus because I was naive, impressionable, and my coworker was talking about how they always wanted one.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
P. muticus because I was naive, impressionable, and my coworker was talking about how they always wanted one.
What? It's an honour to own a Goddess and that's not something that needs a justification! :bookworm:

0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

P. muticus because @Chris LXXIX csst a spell on me.
Bravo, FrDoc :)

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
Orphanaecus phillipinus
I got one of those recently from a very experienced breeder I know well. He never gets nervous anymore when packing up tarantulas in transport vials but he said that one made him sweat... these are little devils. I'm not sure that they make very good first OWs. Personally, I'd go with something less inclined to actively come after me and determinedly try to tag me...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I merely meant that her blessings were wasted on a heretic like myself at the time, however she quickly converted me.
Ah, ok. We need you :kiss: :playful:

As you were saying this, I dug up my girl. She's freshly molted, or in premolt for a looong time but I think she shredded the molt. :( In any event, she's not happy. Picture incoming.
Leave her alone and pour a bit of room temperature water (not wet of course) down the burrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bierschneeman

Arachnopeon
I got one of those recently from a very experienced breeder I know well. He never gets nervous anymore when packing up tarantulas in transport vials but he said that one made him sweat... these are little devils. I'm not sure that they make very good first OWs. Personally, I'd go with something less inclined to actively come after me and determinedly try to tag me...
good advice. ill keep this in my head

, but this is likely a year or two down the line. I think I want to have a Psalmopoeus or Pseudoclamoris rehouse, that goes difficult, before I go OW.

(i picked those because of what i hear of speed, and difficulty too deal with (for NWs). but im not up to those yet either.)

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have one of those that is only about 15mm DLS, but it is fascinating! It is out and about often, drop dead gorgeous even as a sling, and probably the most aggressive hunter I have, and yep, even considering my A. genic. As soon as I drop a prey item in the enclosure, the little orange demon immediately leaves its burrow/hide and rampages around the enclosure, and when it catches whatever, it flails it. I have actually thrown larger worms in there just to see if the little psycho can handle it, and I’ve never been disappointed. This being said, it has never even thrown a threat pose at me during maintenance, rehouse, etc.. Given the disposition of my specimen, I would actually suggest one as a first OW, but maybe mine just likes me...heh.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My second T and first OW was a 1.5" P. murinus who became the love of my T life (and whose body is still in my freezer these dozen years or so later). They have always been my favourite species.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
They have always been my favourite species
The one in your profile pic always catches my eye it looks so amazing, i'm definitely getting me one of those once i gain enough confidence in keeping fast species. :D