What was your first OW and why?

Luka98

Arachnosquire
I'm pretty sure this has been posted a million times but let's go.
As my collection is expanding my NW "must have" list is starting to get shorter, i'm thinking of a Psalmopoeus Cambridgei/Irminia for my next T to get used to the speed and then something like a C. Marshalli or H. Pulchripes for a first OW, i'm just curios what did you guys start with?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Pelinobius muticus. Cuz they were my favorite species at the time.

Good starter ow too if you get a young one, your experience will easily outpace it's growth.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police

Good starter ow too if you get a young one, your experience will easily outpace it's growth.
OMG mine is growing soooooooooooooo slowly........... I think last molt it shrunk......

Luka98

Arachnosquire

Yeah i love the way they look, those velvet legs are awesome and i can get them for a great price (~8 eur for a .7 inch sling) but they're kinda pet hole-y no?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Poecilotheria vittata. I wasn't going to go OW - but they were so pretty when I saw them at one of the expos! I got him(?) as a tiny sling, figuring as long as my learning curve kept up with his growth rate, we'd be fine - and it worked. (He was not my first tarantula, though - I believe he was my fourth.) Unfortunately, as beautiful as he is, he's basically a pet hole. Who'd have thought an "arboreal" tarantula would turn out to be a burrower??? But he ignores the fake plants and cork bark I've provided and hangs out in his little web "pocket" in the substrate, behind the cork. Whatever. I'm just waiting for him to mature so I can trade/sell him for something I can see for more than 30 seconds at a time - if I sneak into the room late at night!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Phlogius crassipes, or as it's known now as Selenocosmia crassipes. I'm in love with all things Australia and the tarantulas there are no exception. Also found it fascinating how these spiders make a 'whistling' sound when threatened.

samo102

Arachnopeon
Phlogius crassipes, or as it's known now as Selenocosmia crassipes. I'm in love with all things Australia and the tarantulas there are no exception. Also found it fascinating how these spiders make a 'whistling' sound when threatened.
C. Darlingi, decent webbing at the entrance to their burrow, they have a horn, rather retreat than attack. Love my little sling rn

basin79

ArachnoGod
My first OW and second tarantula was a Poecilotheria regalis. Why? It was the first time I'd ever seen one (over 20 years ago) and instantly fell in love.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
First OW I had ever gotten was an A. ezendami. The reason was because at the time the OBT was the most common and I wanted something different. Luckily I found a A. ezendami and heard they were good OW starters, so I got one, which later I bought another one. Because I find them enjoyable.

boina

Lady of the mites
Monocentropus balfouri - they are just spectacular. And I have to admit, the idea of trying a communal did appeal to me at the time. I had been keeping tarantulas for years though, when I first got them.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
My first ow and my third t is an obt cus I really like the look of em and love heavy webbers. (I only have 3 right now cus I’m still a kid) but as a joke my cousin gave me a p. gigas (was t.gigas then) as my second t lmao so that kind of prepared me :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Monocentropus balfouri - they are just spectacular. And I have to admit, the idea of trying a communal did appeal to me at the time. I had been keeping tarantulas for years though, when I first got them.
Amen, sister! M. balfouri were my 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th) OW's! The idea of communal tarantulas really intrigued me and I just loved seeing the little guys all piled like puppies in the entrance to one of their web tubes when they were little! (Now that they are older, I get to see them a lot less often - but they are gorgeous when they are out and about!)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Amen, sister! M. balfouri were my 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th) OW's! The idea of communal tarantulas really intrigued me and I just loved seeing the little guys all piled like puppies in the entrance to one of their web tubes when they were little! (Now that they are older, I get to see them a lot less often - but they are gorgeous when they are out and about!)
You have too many, share.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
O. sp. "Cebu"

It was a freebie, luckily I had already planned on getting my first OW anyway.

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poecilotheria subfusca after Psalmopoeus cambridgei and irminia as starters. My favourite Poecilotheria of the time and a really easy way into OW species.

aphono

Arachnobaron
H. pulchripes. Mainly because they happened to be dangling in front of me & had been admiring their colors. Liked the idea of adding something yellow to the collection.

One of the pulchripes was a bit nervous/skittish, occasional defensive postures. The other was pretty mellow, never threat postured or skittered.

IIRC, the AF marshalli is my second OW. She's so very calm. Took a closer look at her at an reptile expo because of @cold blood posts on this species. Instantly grabbed her after learning her price- it was either 20 or 25. Plus the thought of getting something besides 'yet another sling' was appealing at that time. Pictures don't do their colors and patterning justice. Got two slings at the next expo because I liked her so much. Those two are on the calmer/less skittish side for slings in general & have been above ground most of the time. Also had a darlingi.. but it was very skittish, hid all the time and the colors were plain compared to marshalli so it was sold off to reserve space for the marshalli slings as they grow.

I'd say those two species are nice picks. BTW thought the GBB was lightening fast.. until trying to rehouse some OW slings.. they make GBB seem glacial! P. cambridgei would be good practice step for dealing with speedy spiders. Fun watching these snatch up moths and falling crickets seemingly mid-air. So fast I can't tell if it actually grabbed them out of the air or they touched something first.