What was the hardest lesson to learn?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That was a hard lesson for me, because I mostly try to get along with people and not offend them.
I stopped trying to achieve this goal years ago because no matter how hard you try they will always find something to throw you under the bus for.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I only wanted a few...at first. After being on these boards for some time and researching and looking at online dealer inventories...I want all of them.

EDIT: also, I was/am spending way too much on acrylic display cases. I just need to switch to RUBs or storage boxes.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
There isn't an hardest lesson to learn when "you" embrace, armed only with a pure and noble Soul, the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) because Life, all of a sudden, changes.

Those that not, and I mean the skepticals, the kafirs, the haters of burrows, the blinded and the self inflicted blinded... well, they will continue to live in their sad little world made of nothing but :banghead: despair, cold, misery, apathy, lazyness.

The Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus incontrovertible and inescapable love draw in that well made of nothing but the pure crystal water of Memento Audere Semper: yes you can say the essence itself of life, the genius, the 'to dare' mentality :pompous:

The rest are chit chats, heavy air of the first Chinese restaurant, interesting like a dumb Steven Seagal movie, so Embrace the Goddess u_u

Thaneem

Arachnopeon
Absolutely it was the humidity issue. Keeping the substrate dry other than a bit of overflow from the water dish solved literally every issue I ever had with inverts.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I owe this incredibly simple piece of information that is really worth it's weight in gold to an old member of this forum. I wish I could remember the guys name. Everyone at the time (2004) was saying - and this was for centipedes, not spiders - to basically use moist substrate to avoid dessication. This one guy said to keep it dry with just a bit of overflow from the water dish. He was totally right, and now it seems like this is what everyone does.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Everyone at the time (2004) was saying - and this was for centipedes, not spiders - to basically use moist substrate to avoid dessication. This one guy said to keep it dry with just a bit of overflow from the water dish. He was totally right, and now it seems like this is what everyone does.
No. Depends always by the Theraphosidae (and Centipede) in question. Plus other factors like where "you" live, the enclosure ventilation etc

If (instead of a moist substrate) had offered back then a dry set up with just a water dish and only a bit of overflow here and there to my female Scolopendra subspinipes, I doubt she would successfully managed to poop out pedelings and thrive :-s

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Absolutely it was the humidity issue. Keeping the substrate dry other than a bit of overflow from the water dish solved literally every issue I ever had with inverts.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I owe this incredibly simple piece of information that is really worth it's weight in gold to an old member of this forum. I wish I could remember the guys name. Everyone at the time (2004) was saying - and this was for centipedes, not spiders - to basically use moist substrate to avoid dessication. This one guy said to keep it dry with just a bit of overflow from the water dish. He was totally right, and now it seems like this is what everyone does.
really? thats what i did at first with my alternans, thing never ate and hid 24/7 for months. i now keep it practically like a Theraphosa and have noticed much more activity and appetite.

@Crowbi water dishes are a super easy fail safe way to ensure the spider has water when it needs it. it can be done through misting, but is a pain when you have 35+ to water.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure it was hard to learn. I did find that the more Ts I got the less I messed with them and the better they did. I know (and I've seen other post it too) that when I only had 3 or 4 I often over tended them. The more I got, the less I bothered them, and the better they did. Now, I just do base maintenance and feeding. On occasion I'll slip one out for a photo. I see them out more now then I did when I started.

Honestly, if they had more space, a moving water supply and a way for food to to get in on occasion then they wouldn't need me at all. I think a lot of keepers are like I was when I started. Quick to over help their Ts. It's molting... oh snap what do I do? The correct answer in all but the most extreme cases is nothing and often in those few extreme cases nothing you do will help.

Set them up, give them food and water and let them grow.

Last edited:

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Hardest thing so far has been learning the proper names.. and figuring away to pronounce them :wacky:

There isn't an hardest lesson to learn when "you" embrace, armed only with a pure and noble Soul, the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) because Life, all of a sudden, changes.

Those that not, and I mean the skepticals, the kafirs, the haters of burrows, the blinded and the self inflicted blinded... well, they will continue to live in their sad little world made of nothing but :banghead: despair, cold, misery, apathy, lazyness.

The Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus incontrovertible and inescapable love draw in that well made of nothing but the pure crystal water of Memento Audere Semper: yes you can say the essence itself of life, the genius, the 'to dare' mentality :pompous:

The rest are chit chats, heavy air of the first Chinese restaurant, interesting like a dumb Steven Seagal movie, so Embrace the Goddess u_u
I really like some of what your on :angelic:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
1. Bigger enclosures are not better enclosures
2. Leave them alone when they are upside down
3. Just because the tarantula will eat that much each week, doesn't mean it needs that much.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
If you like taking pics/vids, don't approach your Ts unless your camera is on and settings configured...I've missed so many moments :sorry:

louise f

Arachnoangel
Hardest thing so far has been learning the proper names.. and figuring away to pronounce them :wacky:
Haha me too i still struggle every day:rofl:
Just listen to this, christ. This was the first video i made February last year. :D:D

Today i can pronounce the name properly. You got to practice friend :D

I really like some of what your on :angelic:
Ohh that`s just Chris being Chris. Lol just the way we like him <3 :kiss::D

And to you @Caseyface :)
the hardest thing or lesson, well i must say that patience when it comes to the waiting for an egg sac or when they dont want to eat. That still bugs me. After 9 years of keeping T`s.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
My main lessons have already been mentioned, but another one will probably be urticating hairs. I finally bought latex gloves. I keep the unopened package nearby where it will be convenient once I learn my lesson.

I know you will read on the forum they are poor eaters, but this simply isn't the case. I have never had a problem having mine eat regularly. I don't do anything special, I keep mine at 72-75 day/ 68-72 night.

When someone says "it's a poor eater", you have to ask what is that person comparing it too?
I've only seen the sling eat once, but I offer it dubia legs and freshly killed FFF regardless. It'll eat if it needs to, if not? Well, it gets removed. My AF has eaten three times in the ~1.5 months that I've had her. I'm not sure if it's over-kill, or because I have a small collection, but I keep track of when and what they eat. (More obvious for the bigger ones, of course). She likes small hornworms. :D
You are right about a need to compare them rather than saying poor eaters. I am guilty of saying that as well. Perhaps we could say they eat less when they eat or eat less often. My slings have a fat abdomens, but leave lots of cricket parts to be cleaned up. It is hard to know if they took a few bites when they are this small, but I never see them eating.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
not overkill at all. Feeding records are useful. FFF?? Fruit flies perhaps? If so, fruit flies are nutrient deficient and should not be used.
Indeed, D.Melanogaster. I've only used these a few times, as I prefer dubias (I have a colony). I won't be using these in the future, though. Thank you!

For me, it was just leaving them alone. I'm pretty sure I've literally over-cared a sling to death:(.
This speaks to me.
Sometimes I worry that I am *too* obsessed with my Ts. Is it normal to pause movies just to go look at them? Maybe... Maybe.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Indeed, D.Melanogaster. I've only used these a few times, as I prefer dubias (I have a colony). I won't be using these in the future, though. Thank you!
If you don't have a dubia nymph the right size you can always cut one to the needed size. Small slings will scavenge for food easily. I have 6 small Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati slings and I usually use one dubia to feed them all.

This speaks to me.
Sometimes I worry that I am *too* obsessed with my Ts. Is it normal to pause movies just to go look at them? Maybe... Maybe.
It is. I've often been walking by the T room and randomly dropped in to see who was out. I do this a lot in the evening. There is a difference between watching them and messing with them so they come out to where you can see them.

I have a nice red led flashlight so I can sneak in at night and see what they are up to without them knowing. :)

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
I only wanted a few...at first. After being on these boards for some time and researching and looking at online dealer inventories...I want all of them.

EDIT: also, I was/am spending way too much on acrylic display cases. I just need to switch to RUBs or storage boxes.
The enclosures add up so fast. In my excitement and classic over-preparedness, I purchased all the enclosures my Ts may need from sling to adult. Yeah...that hurt my wallet. But they are so prettyyyy?

Not to overfeed :vomit:
This...I am still learning.
If you don't have a dubia nymph the right size you can always cut one to the needed size. Small slings will scavenge for food easily. I have 6 small Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati slings and I usually use one dubia to feed them all.

It is. I've often been walking by the T room and randomly dropped in to see who was out. I do this a lot in the evening. There is a difference between watching them and messing with them so they come out to where you can see them.

I have a nice red led flashlight so I can sneak in at night and see what they are up to without them knowing. :)

I don't mess with them. I try not to even breathe too hard. I'm just very curious and they bring me a lot of enjoyment. Same with you, this happens much more often at night, when the Ts are usually out and about. :D

EDIT: I forgot to mention: even the smallest of the small dubia nymphs I have are far too large for my e. sp. red sling. It either gets a leg, or piece of freshly chopped dubia. (yummmmm).

Magenta

Arachnosquire
This speaks to me.
I do that! My husband knows to just go play some video games or something if I go into my T room. Even if I say I'll only be a sec, it easily turns into 30min of me just staring at them. LOL:p