What type of spider is this?

Ste

Arachnopeon
Hello,

This spider was found at a friends house in Berkshire (southern England) recently.

It was found in the bathroom, it is about 8-10cm across. It stood still when noticed and jumped about a foot and a half in the air on the spot. It's still on the loose if anyone is interested in trying to find a new pet. laugh.gif

Doesn't look at all like it is from this country too big and never seen a spider jump like that.

Anyone able to give any ideas what type of spider it is and where it is from?

Thanks

Ste

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
looks like some kind of huntsman or something, not from this country, or i just havnt been looking hard enough..ill give it a home ;) :D

Arachnoboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My guess would be Tegenaria atrica,a very common spider (in Denmark),and I believe in England too. It is often found in bathtups were it ends up in its search for water, but the sides of the tup are to slippery so it can't escape. It is not dangerous,but a great (and easy to keep) spider.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is a common house spider, either Tegenaria domestica or T. atrica.. More than likely it is a mature male, they are often found in houses in the later summer, early autumn as they leave their webs and start roaming around to find a mate.