What T's can be Kept Communally?

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
I was just wondering what T's you guys have either kept or seen kept successfully in a Communal enclosure. And by that I mean with other members of its own species. I'm not actually going to attempt this just yet, but I'm very curious to learn more about it. I've seen a few videos on YouTube where someone was keeping certain OW T's (especially Poecilotheria species) Communally and I think it's fascinating!
Certainly having a large enclosure with a bunch of P. metallica would be amazing!

boina

Lady of the mites
M. balfouri are the ones that you can keep communally and be reasonable sure they won't eat each other. Other than that? Not so much.

With Pokies it very much depends on the species. Most of them can be raised communally as slings and small juveniles (NOT ornata!), some species will still be compatible as larger juveniles (subfusca, rufilata), but the bigger they get the bigger your risk will be.

Some people have managed a N. incei communal but for every successful communal there seems to be one that endet with one fat spider, so that one is high risk.

I've heard of Hysterocrates communally, too, but again that may not end well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was just wondering what T's you guys have either kept or seen kept successfully in a Communal enclosure. And by that I mean with other members of its own species. I'm not actually going to attempt this just yet, but I'm very curious to learn more about it. I've seen a few videos on YouTube where someone was keeping certain OW T's (especially Poecilotheria species) Communally and I think it's fascinating!
Certainly having a large enclosure with a bunch of P. metallica would be amazing!
No species of tarantula has been observed living communally in the wild according to a biologist who studies T.

I find this continued fascination of stuffing a bunch of (insert any exotic animal) together to play house like humans just absolutely crazy.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
M. balfouri seem to be very safe to use for a communal, never heard of one failing actually.
With the swarm of piranhas that hang out here not too many come back here to admit their failures... that being said I seem to see a good amount of success stories. I should start a kickstarter to raise funds to observe M balfouri in the wild. I promise to report back :)

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
No species of tarantula has been observed living communally in the wild according to a biologist who studies T.

I find this continued fascination of stuffing a bunch of (insert any exotic animal) together to play house like humans just absolutely crazy.
Yeah, I don't think I would ever try it personally because I just can't stand when any critter I'm responsible for dies. I had just seen people talking about it and seeming to have success with it on more than one occasion and was curious if there was anything to it.

With the swarm of piranhas that hang out here not too many come back here to admit their failures... that being said I seem to see a good amount of success stories. I should start a kickstarter to raise funds to observe M balfouri in the wild. I promise to report back :)
Sounds cool! I wish you luck!

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
True, losses are always possible but everyone I know who has personally started one has had zero losses including someone with 14 and someone with 5 together.