What to use to 'glue' acrlyic hinges and hasps to glass?

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello

I am making a arboreal setup with a 2.5g and it came with a glass lid and I am going to cut the glass into two and use sealant on the bottom 1/4, then I am getting a acrylic hinge and hasp from joshsfrogs.com (unless anyone knows a big chain store that carries those).

What do I use to 'glue' the acrylic to the glass? Not the same sealant used for the bottom glass of the lid right? Do I need to buy two types from home depot or lowes? Or is there one all around type 'glue' that I can use and be fine?

Thanks ahead

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You need a methylene chloride based solvent that forms a bond by more or less chemically melting the acrylic, Weld-on is a popular brand. Availability is generally limited but can be found on line or for commercial uses like sign making supply companies or sometimes glass companies. Try Tap plastics for an online source.

Bill

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You need a methylene chloride based solvent that forms a bond by more or less chemically melting the acrylic, Weld-on is a popular brand. Availability is generally limited but can be found on line or for commercial uses like sign making supply companies or sometimes glass companies. Try Tap plastics for an online source.

Bill
Does that actually work for attaching acrylic to glass? I thought it was only acrylic to arylic. Many people use super glue, hot glue, or silicone sealant. A GOOD two sided tape can also do the trick. Not the thin clear stuff, but the thicker foam type, like 3M makes for holding molding on cars. You could also get the long plastic hinge like is used on glass aquarium lids. The glass just slips into it. No glue needed.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
plastic hinge for aquarium? Dont think Ive seen those ones, I have seen those metal clips for the sides.

JB weld be the same?

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Oops, guess I read through that one too quick.
Not sure there is a reliable way to attach them to glass, you could try epoxy.

Bill

Josh Craig

Arachnopeon
I use aquarium silicone. You can find it in the fish section at petsmart.

Josh Craig

Arachnopeon
It doesn't look good but it holds and it's safe for the tarantulas once it dries.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
you could go to walmart and get some 2 part 5 minute clear epoxy...just squeeze, mix well, apply, hold....

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I'm not really sure, but I would buy something that is sold at a pet store, or that is non-toxic.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
since a 2 1/2 gallon tank is so small why not try making a living hinge out of silicone .
they are much stronger then you think.

moose

Last edited: