What to do with Ts while deployed?

vmig95

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,
I am new to the hobby and kinda just jumped right into it. I currently have the following:
-A. Metallica (Metallic Pink Toe)
-B. Albopilosum (Curly Hair)
-Tiger Rump Tarantula
-E. Murinus (Skeleton tarantula)
-P. Ornata (Fringed Ornamental)
-Flat Rock Scorpion
-Vinegaroon

My question is, has anyone ever deployed with the military here? What have you guys done with your inverts while deployed? I don't want to thrust all of these inverts onto someone especially since some of them are more advanced species.(I don't want a novice getting bit by my ornata). I am a beginner myself but I am diligent with my research and invert care so I don't mind the risk.

Any advice can would be great!

Swoop

Arachnosquire
You can't feasibly take them with you so that kinda only leaves entrusting them to someone else.

See if there's a local Facebook page for tarantula hobbyists. Keeping up with local hobbyists is about the only thing I use Facebook for anyway.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How long are you going to be deployed? Do you intend to reclaim them when you return, or are you just wanting to find a good home for them? If it's going to be a lengthy deployment, finding someone to "spider-sit" will be a challenge - particularly with a sizeable collection which will require a fair amount of space.

Some people will sell/give away their spiders when they are deployed and then get new ones when they return. (That's how I got a couple of my spiders, from a guy in the navy who was getting ready to ship out.) If you are concerned about finding good homes for them (with experienced keepers who will be able to care for them properly and safely) you could try listing them in the AB classifieds - at least you're working with a (mostly) more experienced population than you'd get with a Craigslist ad.

You might also be able to work out a compromise, where you get rid of *some* of your pets - and find someone who would be willing to look after one or two particular favorites while you are away and return them to you when you get back. It will be a lot easier to get a friend or family member to feed a spider or scorpion for a few months (or years) than to get them to take in 6 or 7 all at once.