What to Do with This?

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
Also, not sure if I'm ready for a communal yet, though, how would I replace the screen with the acrylic/glass? Or perhaps where could it be done?
In the photos, it looks like there is a black plastic frame around each side of the tank holding it together. You should be able to remove the mesh and rest a matching piece of glass or acrylic in the frame.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Are you interested in amblypygi at all? You could house a colony of a species of those in there, or a few H. batesii

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Alright Lol I won't use the heat lamp:biggrin:

At the moment I'm only really interested in t's, but thanks anyway!

---------- Post added 12-15-2015 at 07:08 AM ----------

Are you interested in amblypygi at all? You could house a colony of a species of those in there, or a few H. batesii
These guys seem interesting! I have an M. giganteus (I know they can't be communal) and these look cool.

---------- Post added 12-15-2015 at 07:09 AM ----------

In the photos, it looks like there is a black plastic frame around each side of the tank holding it together. You should be able to remove the mesh and rest a matching piece of glass or acrylic in the frame.
Alright, will do!

Exuviae

Arachnosquire
I was going to suggest a group of amblypygids, too. I only have one, but I know someone who keeps a colony of them, and they seem to do well as long as they have lots of space and are well-fed.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Personally, if you really have no option go with a lamp. But before that, pads would probably work better. I am using a lamp on my score, keeping it around 71-75. Just make sure it's far enough away where it will not cook it, because below 65 is a pretty big problem. Only me though, as we keep our house at 68 and colder, so I need to get pads for my inverts.

Stranger

Arachnopeon
Yep not a very ideal tarantula cage unless modifications were made, even then big for most tarantulas.

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would NOT put a Uromastyx in there, it is WAY too small and is vertically oriented instead of horizontally. It's also way too small for any turtle or tortoise like someone else suggested. It could potentially be appropriate for Pygmy chameleons if you can find healthy ones, but do your research first. I would not put any other chameleon species in there long term, too small. And if your not used to keeping lizards, I certainly wouldn't start with a Chameleon. You could perhaps put a Crested Gecko in there. But all that airflow may not work out with a crestie.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Thanks everyone! Amblypygids seem fun and interesting. I've done some research and it seems that they are best housed together as adults. Keep humidity high, and lots of large pieces of cork bark. I was just wondering, do these burrow as well?

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Thanks everyone! Amblypygids seem fun and interesting. I've done some research and it seems that they are best housed together as adults. Keep humidity high, and lots of large pieces of cork bark. I was just wondering, do these burrow as well?
As with all communals, you may get some competition, and that may result in deaths. It happens when they have nowhere to escape, but with numerous hides, this risk is much lower. The screen is absolutely perfect for Amblypygi. They can molt from it, both the sides and the top. If you go with D. diadema, they are fairly drought tolerant and don't need as high humidity as some other species.

As for borrowing, they cannot. They are built for dashing around the trees, and have no ability to dig. The enclosure I have for my D. diadema only has some sphagnum moss littered around the bottom for humidity/drinking purposes. She can also drink droplets from the glass sides. You could set up cork flats in various positions all over that tank. Every dark place becomes a hide for them. Be creative!

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Couple Crested Gecko or maybe a Tokay? Personally I'd get a Tokay. They're awesome, feisty buggers. I guess pygmy chameleon could work but the ventilation may be an issue. Not sure, haven't kept a chameleon before.

+1 on no Uromastyx in that. Way too small for anything like that. With a tank like that, get something that climbs. Throw in a bunch of branches and fake leaves and you're good to go. Can even try real plants if you like, would be cool.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Couple Crested Gecko or maybe a Tokay? Personally I'd get a Tokay. They're awesome, feisty buggers. I guess pygmy chameleon could work but the ventilation may be an issue. Not sure, haven't kept a chameleon before.

+1 on no Uromastyx in that. Way too small for anything like that. With a tank like that, get something that climbs. Throw in a bunch of branches and fake leaves and you're good to go. Can even try real plants if you like, would be cool.
Ive never kept a uro but my buddy has one in a similar tank that might be a little more wide, but he made a custom backwall with interlocking tunnels and a big sand dune and it does great

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive never kept a uro but my buddy has one in a similar tank that might be a little more wide, but he made a custom backwall with interlocking tunnels and a big sand dune and it does great
If your buddy is keeping a Uro in a tank that size, regardless of a customer backwall with tunnels, he still needs to upgrade. They need a 40 gallon breeder minimum and the floor space of OP's tank is about the same as a ten gallon.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
As with all communals, you may get some competition, and that may result in deaths. It happens when they have nowhere to escape, but with numerous hides, this risk is much lower. The screen is absolutely perfect for Amblypygi. They can molt from it, both the sides and the top. If you go with D. diadema, they are fairly drought tolerant and don't need as high humidity as some other species.

As for borrowing, they cannot. They are built for dashing around the trees, and have no ability to dig. The enclosure I have for my D. diadema only has some sphagnum moss littered around the bottom for humidity/drinking purposes. She can also drink droplets from the glass sides. You could set up cork flats in various positions all over that tank. Every dark place becomes a hide for them. Be creative!
Awesome! D. diadema seems like a great idea! So, looking at this enclosure, you would leave the screen there for it? I'll probably go pick up some sphagnum moss later today for a couple of my other inverts.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Awesome! D. diadema seems like a great idea! So, looking at this enclosure, you would leave the screen there for it? I'll probably go pick up some sphagnum moss later today for a couple of my other inverts.
Yeah, I'd leave the screen. You can even attach things to it with twist ties. D. diadema can get some pretty wide whip spans, so that tank could allow them to fully stretch out. They can't climb glass at all, but they'd have 3 usable sides to roam, including the top. They're also pretty 2D, so things like vines aren't as awesome as wide thin surfaces. Natural cork and processed cork flats (bulletin style) are perfect for them.

If you found that your Amblies are staying too close to the humid parts (sphagnum mounds and the like) then you can cover up parts of the screen afterwards.

---------- Post added 12-17-2015 at 06:48 PM ----------

Here is my Exo-terra Nano Tall for my D. diadema.

With a much larger tank, you could get really creative with walls.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I'd leave the screen. You can even attach things to it with twist ties. D. diadema can get some pretty wide whip spans, so that tank could allow them to fully stretch out. They can't climb glass at all, but they'd have 3 usable sides to roam, including the top. They're also pretty 2D, so things like vines aren't as awesome as wide thin surfaces. Natural cork and processed cork flats (bulletin style) are perfect for them.

If you found that your Amblies are staying too close to the humid parts (sphagnum mounds and the like) then you can cover up parts of the screen afterwards.

---------- Post added 12-17-2015 at 06:48 PM ----------

Here is my Exo-terra Nano Tall for my D. diadema.

With a much larger tank, you could get really creative with walls.
Whoa that's awesome! I might want to put some of that moss onto the cork bark for humidity too. I've read that these creatures are really easy to breed and take care of, thanks for the suggestion!

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Whoa that's awesome! I might want to put some of that moss onto the cork bark for humidity too. I've read that these creatures are really easy to breed and take care of, thanks for the suggestion!
I'd avoid letting the moss touch the cork... natural resists mold, or at least gives a hostile enough environment that it doesn't last too long. I had a quick mold outbreak in just a matter of hours with the moss touching that particular cork. If I should ever need a higher humidity, I'll keep a small dish of wet moss.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I'd personally put a chameleon or maybe a colony of ghost mantids, as that cage is going to have a lot of air flow and would be a pain to keep a tarantula in, especially if they get bored and start chewing on the screen...
If that cleaner was used on the tank prior to it making it's way to you, I wouldn't put a tarantula in it even without all the other flaws. In any case, as others have pointed out, put something else in there, something not a tarantula--any tarantula would make quick work of all that soft mesh.
I have to agree with them - the mesh could be problematic with a tarantula. I'd either replace the two mesh sides with glass (you can get plexiglass at most hardware supply stores for fairly inexpensive and often cut to size) or use it for something else, like D. diadema. Me? I'd use it for a snake or lizard. Or replace the mesh with glass and go with poison dart frogs.

Ges613

Arachnopeon
No on the cleaner. I would put a pink Avic Avic in it. But thats me

biggtguy96

Arachnopeon
I would go old world with a p.matalica or a p.vittata make it a live planted viv then it would be awsome a nice big show tank for every one to see