1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with molts?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by ediblepain, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Icculus

Icculus Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Right after you get to scare someone with it

2. Charlottesweb17

Charlottesweb17 Arachnopeon

Canada
    I give them to my son for his science classes

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Arachnosupporter

I made a pair of thong underwear out of mine. In hindsight, not such a good idea since I keep NWs...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tetracerus

tetracerus Arachnosquire

Thank you!

Like @Rittdk01 said, the molts won't rot or smell funky since there are no internal gooey parts.

I start by putting them in a sealed container with a thin layer of warm water to rehydrate them (if it's not a fresh molt) and leave for a day. Once the molt is flexible enough to pose, I lay it on styrofoam and then pin each leg individually into place (picture below).

IMG_4222.JPG

I let the molt air out for a day to dry. This may take longer for you depending on humidity (I live in a desert). For the carapace, I build up a small mound of hot glue (in layers) in the center of the bottom part of the prosoma until it would just barely touch the inside of the carapace. Then I glue the carapace on top. I've had much better success with this method than trying to glue the carapace edges. If the abdomen is intact, you can try filling it with tiny torn-off pieces of cotton balls, but I still haven't gotten down the technique for that.

I'm by no means an expert yet at mounting molts but hope that helps!

• Like Like x 1
  5. OliverWhatever

OliverWhatever Arachnopeon

Norway
    Søppla

6. I have a clear acrylic container I toss all the good moults in. The trashed ones get thrown away.
    Not sure if I will ever do anything with them or not.