What to do with molts?

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Beautiful display. May I ask your procedure for mounting? Do you need to do anything to preserve the molt so it doesn't begin to decay or smell? That looks beautiful!
Thank you!

Like @Rittdk01 said, the molts won't rot or smell funky since there are no internal gooey parts.

I start by putting them in a sealed container with a thin layer of warm water to rehydrate them (if it's not a fresh molt) and leave for a day. Once the molt is flexible enough to pose, I lay it on styrofoam and then pin each leg individually into place (picture below).

IMG_4222.JPG

I let the molt air out for a day to dry. This may take longer for you depending on humidity (I live in a desert). For the carapace, I build up a small mound of hot glue (in layers) in the center of the bottom part of the prosoma until it would just barely touch the inside of the carapace. Then I glue the carapace on top. I've had much better success with this method than trying to glue the carapace edges. If the abdomen is intact, you can try filling it with tiny torn-off pieces of cotton balls, but I still haven't gotten down the technique for that.

I'm by no means an expert yet at mounting molts but hope that helps!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have a clear acrylic container I toss all the good moults in. The trashed ones get thrown away.
Not sure if I will ever do anything with them or not.

rolling56

Arachnopeon
Sorry to revive this old thread but my searching brought me here plus the newest I can find with talk of the hairs left on molts (and I didn't want to start a new thread):

A couple of things came to mind after my B Hamorii molted yesterday.
I have no children here living in my home but I do have a daughter and granddaughter but they live in another state so not here much at all BUT! I do have a dog and a cat.
I removed the molt after my T got finished with laying on it all night I guess for protection and moved off it. My cat was upstairs but my dog was downstairs watching my every move. I didn't want her sniffing it at all.

With that said:
Are most of you responsible T owners and dispose of your T's molts?