1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with molts?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by ediblepain, Sep 12, 2017.

1. ediblepain

ediblepain Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    What do people do with molts? I usually toss them in the garden.. but the one from this morning i did something kind of weird with it. I shoved it in my mouth so it looked like a T was chilling in my face hole, and scared the heck out of my partner. Not the best idea, i know.. but it was funny (to me.. not them). What cool things can be done with them?

2. chanda

chanda Arachnobaron Active Member

...I hope it was the molt of an OW tarantula? I can't even imagine getting a mouthful of urticating hairs.

I save mine and sometimes spread them out and mount them in shadow boxes. I have one that's a growth progression for my very first T (B. albo) with every molt from sling to adult. They make cool displays, plus I use them in the classroom when explaining the molting process. I also have a few OW molts that I let the kids touch. They really get a kick out of touching the fangs!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

If I still need to sex the tarantula, I process the abdomen for sexing. Otherwise, I like to save the molts (for at least the next molt) to see how much my tarantula has grown.

I gave my pulchra's most recent molt to a kid; his dad is going to encase it in resin.

4. dragonfire1577

dragonfire1577 Arachnobaron

I shove them in my mouth too, except not as a prank I just eat them...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Venomgland

Venomgland Arachnopeon

Sex them, then put them in your windows around your house to keep looters and burglars out.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. tetracerus

tetracerus Arachnosquire

Make them into cool displays! A nicely mounted molt makes for a great gift (for the right kind of person, that is).

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 2
  7. SkittleBunny

SkittleBunny Arachnopeon

I like to keep the best one from each of my T's and display them next to my enclosures, so if they are burrowed someone viewing them can see what they look like.

• Like Like x 2
  8. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

Bin

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnoknight Active Member

Indiana
    Mine are in shadow boxes on the walls in my spider room. The molts from my adults anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Icculus

Icculus Arachnosquire

I like to put them out to scare the kids:angelic:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. DadsGlasses

DadsGlasses Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

Beautiful display. May I ask your procedure for mounting? Do you need to do anything to preserve the molt so it doesn't begin to decay or smell? That looks beautiful!

12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Garbage

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnoknight Active Member

Indiana
    You dont need to do anything to the molt for decay. If it were the actual spider you have to remove all the fun stuff out out the abdomen and under the carapace to keep it from getting stinky.

14. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

Keep the fangs, toss the rest

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. darkness975

darkness975 A Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

Trash

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    That's what I do if they are big enough. Otherwise they get tossed after I measure them and record my specs - do sexing etc.

17. Anoplogaster

Anoplogaster Arachnobaron Active Member

I keep them for that same reason. Not next to their enclosures, necessarily. Just in a big jar. I pull them out to show people. And students love seeing them too:)

• Like Like x 1
  18. WoofSpider

WoofSpider Arachnopeon

I have just been keeping mine in a spare enclosure that is not currently in use. My Ts are mostly all too small to sex, so I just hold on to them for no reason I guess.

19. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

Is there a universal translation for these words? :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. darkness975

darkness975 A Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

Müll

• Like Like x 1