What to do with baby wolfspiders

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
I don't wanna kill them or just let them sit there with mom in the container into juvenile growth, what should I do with them when they get bigger and separate from mom ? maybe they can coexist?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you leave them together, eventually they will eat each other - and the mom will snack on them, too.

What I do with surplus hatchlings - if they are a locally caught, native species - is release them in my yard or garden. Otherwise, I leave 'em together and let them sort it out themselves. Most of them will get eaten, but the strongest will survive and - when the population has been reduced to a more manageable level - they can be separated into private accommodations.

Yes, it sounds horrible, letting them cannibalize each other - but they're going to have to kill and eat something, whether it's crickets, fruit flies, meal worms - or spiderlings.

You can also try to sell/trade/give away the extra spiderlings if you know anyone who is interested in them or by placing an ad in the classified section. (With something pretty common like wolf spiders, you're probably going to be mostly limited to local pickup - I doubt people are going to want to pay overnight shipping.)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
had this question myself, my female randomly layed a sac, usually i take the sac away but this time ill see if i can raise some.

Chuckiee

Arachnopeon
When they hatch they will get on mothers back and after few weeks when they feel strong enough they will leave mothers back and then you will need to "collect" them all,you can separate 50/50% of them in 2 jars so that way more of them will stay allive...to feed them you just drop in some dead cricket

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When they hatch they will get on mothers back and after few weeks when they feel strong enough they will leave mothers back and then you will need to "collect" them all,you can separate 50/50% of them in 2 jars so that way more of them will stay allive...to feed them you just drop in some dead cricket
Do they do well, scavenging on dead crickets? I've always fed my various spider hatchlings (jumpers, lynx, wolf, widow) fruit flies, but tossing it a dead cricket would be *so* much easier!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Do they do well, scavenging on dead crickets?
When they jump off mom's back the battle royal begins. Cannibalization. You really don't have to feed them at all; just divide them up into several containers. Eventually you will have one survivor in each container. Keeping them well fed with little munchies helps minimize the fratricide.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When they jump off mom's back the battle royal begins. Cannibalization. You really don't have to feed them at all; just divide them up into several containers. Eventually you will have one survivor in each container. Keeping them well fed with little munchies helps minimize the fratricide.
Yep - just like Highlander. "There can be only one!"