What to do when you get bit?

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had plenty of Avics and will be getting my first Pokie soon. Yay! :)

As a girl you could say I am somewhat of a <edit>. I really don't plan on getting bit but if I do I want to be prepared. I did a search on it but couldn't find much.

Some said cut the bite are off and rinse with hot water, some say if the bite is on a finger to bleed it out. I don't know if any of that is true and some help would be much appreciated.

-Jamie

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ive never been bit...but from reading bite reports i think the best thing to do is take some Benadyrl a shot of stiff liquor and then just relax and wait for the magic to happen. ive been waiting for my first bite and i know its going to be from something ridiculous like my H. mac or my Pokie. But from what i know trying to seperate ur self from the wound (aka bleeding or cutting) is just a pointless endeavor and will likely lead to worse problems. also going to the hospital is probably worthless because from what ive seen most doctors look at you like ur an idiot for messing with tarantulas and they give u some motrin and a bill for $900 dollars lmao. sooooo not being a pro at gettin bit this is just anecdotal but from what ive gathered chilling ur ass out with some motrin and some anti-histamines are ur best option.

agent lead

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its highly recommended that you do NOT attempt to handle the pokie untill you havesignificant experiance with this species..

a bite from a pokie will be much more potent then most other T's, you do NOT want to get tagged!!

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'd recommend not handling unless necessary.

but in case of a bite, just take a few shots of brandy, then chill and wait for the numbness to come!

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm about to take out my Cobalt Blue for the first time. Nature Boy talked me into it and a few beers. Cup and remove from home and 100% less likely to be defensive. I will update after my first experience.:D :D

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is exceedingly difficult to get bitten by a tarantula unless you are exceedingly stupid (like me). I wouldn't worry if I were you.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I tried handling my Cobalt. It hauled ass once it got out of the cup. I caught it in the cup. When it went over my hand it had no intention of stopping so I let it go. I got it back in the cup and then it put up one hell of a fight to stay out of it's enclosure. It's now back in and considering that it looks dull as hell I'm not taking it back out till it molts. A remodeling and behavioral challenge all in one week might be too much.{D

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would suggest reading the bite reports. Most people are pretty good at describing not only symptoms, but what they did in response to the bite.

Hope this helps!

--Joe

FuzzOctave

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had plenty of Avics and will be getting my first Pokie soon. Yay! :)

As a girl you could say I am somewhat of a pussy. I really don't plan on getting bit but if I do I want to be prepared. I did a search on it but couldn't find much.

Some said cut the bite are off and rinse with hot water, some say if the bite is on a finger to bleed it out. I don't know if any of that is true and some help would be much appreciated.

-Jamie
Not wanting to get bit, nor dealing with the after effects, does not make one a pussy. Poecilitheria is not a genus to take lightly. I've had my regalis for about nine months and I never try to handle him. He generally runs and hides, but the one time I did housing maintenance, I coaxed him out with a paint brush and cupped him.

Rob c is a big guy, and he says it was one of the most painful experiences he's had. I can't imagine what it would be like for a guy my size (5'7", 150lbs.). No thanks... If that makes me pusillanimous, then so be it.

If you decide to do this and are bitten, it may be wise to keep a couple of muscle relaxers nearby. You can take the Benedryl, but I'm not sure that's gong to do much, especially where the pain is concerned. Don't forget to document your experience.

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont handle any of my Ts but things happen and have a few things on stand by like pain killers, muscle relaxers and some hard Liquor to wash it down. got a friend thats going to get me an EpiPen soon, also have a venom extractor that i picked up from walmart.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I dont handle any of my Ts but things happen and have a few things on stand by like pain killers, muscle relaxers and some hard Liquor to wash it down. got a friend thats going to get me an EpiPen soon, also have a venom extractor that i picked up from walmart.

epipen is not gonna help

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I see more than one reply post suggested alcohol?!

I don't care if this is supposed to be a joke, mixing alcohol and venomous anything is just plain stupid, and not something to joke about!

Not to mention, alcohol thins the blood. Did we forget that? This will make the effects of the venom worse.

Sukai94, you may have considered the alcohol thing a joke, but in case you didn't, this is bad advice. Please don't do it in the case of a bite.

agent lead

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why not? :?
i think he is saying that you cant gain experience with them unless you handle them, what i was saying was just observing them and their actions and speed for a while before sticking your hand in their home..and even then its not recommended

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i think he is saying that you cant gain experience with them unless you handle them, what i was saying was just observing them and their actions and speed for a while before sticking your hand in their home..and even then its not recommended
I was supporting what you said, pal.

agent lead

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i totally understood that my man...i was just thinking that that could be the only reason why that other dude would say that..

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd say take some Ibuprofen, sit back and monitor your symptoms.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that's freaking awesome!

what, praytell, lead you to the conclusion all that crap is a good idea?

i hope you are joking... mixing painkillers + muscle relaxers + alcohol is completely stupid to take. throw an epipen into the mix and my only hope is that it kills you and doesn't just give you brain damage so your body craps up the medical system for the next 20 years

my suggestion is to tough it out and not take anything... or if you must, go to the hospital to let ppl who know a bit more about how the human body works dose you

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jeez, we're making this out to be a big friggin' deal, lol. {D First, I'm going to take issue with the no booze statement. When your hand and arm (or whatever) is screaming in pain it does indeed help dull the pain. So what if it thins the blood? T venom isn't going to make your vital organs shut down when it reaches them.

The only thing you really can do is take ibuprofin and, if you feel like it, benedryl (I've read mixed reports on whether it helps and have never tried it myself). If you're having severe chest contractions or trouble breathing you can go to the hospital and be given whatever they deem appropriate to address the severe symptoms and probably a high octane pain killer. Personally, I've always chosen to just ride it out. It's not as if you've been tagged by a pit viper or had half your arm loped off with a machete. Relax people, this is ridiculous. :wall: