What to do if I can no longer care for my Ts?

Arterion86

Arachnopeon
Howdy folks,

Sadly, over the next few months, I am going to be experiencing something which will potentially leave me unable to properly/reliably care for my spiders which have brought me so much joy over the last 5-or-so years.

Does anyone have any advice on getting them rehomed somewhere? I have 10 in total, ranging from a 5 inch A. Geniculata to a <1 inch M. Balfouri. I’m mainly concerned with ensuring they go to a good home - not super interested in making money off of their departure (although likely wouldn’t say no to that outcome).

Would really appreciate any input!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Try to find a good person with knollage in tarantulas and sell them cheap to him/her! I would have asked here on the forum if there where any member close to your home?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
You could list them here in the AB classifieds. The people who would see the listings are going to be fellow AB members, so most should have at least some familiarity/experience with keeping tarantulas.

http://arachnoboards.com/forums/for-sale-trade-want-to-buy.24/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/im...ements-for-posting-in-the-classifieds.279681/

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/terms-of-service-tos-examples-and-code.214899/
He is from the UK. The Europe classifieds are in the Europe sub-forum: http://arachnoboards.com/forums/europe.48/

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Oh? Are the regular classifieds US only? I didn't realize that!
I'm pretty sure I've seen other international listings in the classifieds from time to time.
Thank you for pointing him in the right direction!
That I don´t know, but it´s a "European only classified" section in the Europe forum.

@Arterion86 , if you want to post there you first need to have a moderator letting you into the Europe subforum (if you haven´t done so already). Post here and they should add you: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/how-to-join-the-europe-subforum.299586/page-10#post-2908449

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wish you the best for your life, man.

As for your T's, since you are based in the UK I'm sure that you will be able to place those, and somewhat fast.

Lots of UK users here as well, btw. No harm in asking.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Howdy folks,

Sadly, over the next few months, I am going to be experiencing something which will potentially leave me unable to properly/reliably care for my spiders which have brought me so much joy over the last 5-or-so years.

Does anyone have any advice on getting them rehomed somewhere? I have 10 in total, ranging from a 5 inch A. Geniculata to a <1 inch M. Balfouri. I’m mainly concerned with ensuring they go to a good home - not super interested in making money off of their departure (although likely wouldn’t say no to that outcome).

You could reach out to the BTS as well. Some of the members have a great deal of experience and they could possibly put you in touch with someone locally.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If you're cool with packing them up for shipping (there are tutorials on YouTube) then you shouldn't have a hard time finding them new homes, if not then it might be a little more difficult but still workable.

You can try joining the European subforum on here and posting a list in the classifieds there, there's also plenty of tarantula groups on FB (pretty much my go-to for selling mature males) so you may even be able to find someone fairly local to you who's willing to collect.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Howdy folks,

I’ll take them. I’m also in the UK. PM me and we can arrange it, if you like.

AnitaTC

Arachnopeon
I'm so sorry you are facing such a dilemma. You said there is a possibility that this could leave you unable to care your pets. Which means there is a possibility of that not happening. I'm wondering if there is some way you can arrange for someone to help you care for your animals during this process or foster them until it is clear that you need to completely rehome?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Oh? Are the regular classifieds US only? I didn't realize that!
I'm pretty sure I've seen other international listings in the classifieds from time to time.
You have, even though brown boxing is frowned on here. In fact one person constantly posts in there :confused:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You have, even though brown boxing is frowned on here. In fact one person constantly posts in there :confused:
I wasn't even talking about brown boxing - I just figured the non-US sellers posting in the classifieds were (mostly) trying to sell to other non-US members. Perhaps I'm just really naive but I had always assumed an international membership/usage in the classifieds, just like I see in the other forums. I don't recall ever seeing anything describing or labeling them as "US Only."

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I wasn't even talking about brown boxing - I just figured the non-US sellers posting in the classifieds were (mostly) trying to sell to other non-US members. Perhaps I'm just really naive but I had always assumed an international membership/usage in the classifieds, just like I see in the other forums. I don't recall ever seeing anything describing or labeling them as "US Only."
Well, I'm not looking to start trouble for anybody, but.....just sayin'

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I think if you want to make sure they go to a good home, the easiest way would be to just ask some questions to anybody you may be considering sending them to.

Examples.

What are your general husbandry practices?

What other species have/do you keep?

How would you keep the species in question?

If the answers are not the same or similar to your answers, then they probably aren't the person you want to send to. I would say to keep an open mind though, because it is always possible that somebody knows something you don't and if they can provide a good explainaition and/or credible sources for care you disagree with, it is possible that perhaps they are right and you may be mistaken. In the end it is your choice who they give them to, so i feel it is quite reasonable to 'interview' any interested parties and choose your favorite(s) to give to.