What to do (buying tarantulas for figuring breeding)?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Planning to purchase some ‘rarer’ species and was wondering if it would make sense to buy one of each of a few species or buy pair of two species. Since they’d probably be from the same sac would it make sense to just buy one of each and if they do happen to be male send them off for a breeding loan or would it make more sense to just buy a pair of two species?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Planning to purchase some ‘rarer’ species and was wondering if it would make sense to buy one of each of a few species or buy pair of two species. Since they’d probably be from the same sac would it make sense to just buy one of each and if they do happen to be male send them off for a breeding loan or would it make more sense to just buy a pair of two species?
Well breeding siblings is never wise.

Rare- subjective word-- what species?

Buying only 1, could give you either gender, but it's unlikely a 50% chance of getting male or female.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Well breeding siblings is never wise.

Rare- subjective word-- what species?

Buying only 1, could give you either gender, but it's unlikely a 50% chance of getting male or female.
My bad, was mixing up snake breeding (it’s common for people to breed sibling x parent or sibling x sibling one time or so).

That is a secret (just some Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus species). I’m just worried I’d have a hard time finding other people with the opposite gender (wouldn’t mind trying to breed for once or sending them off for a breeding loan).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My bad, was mixing up snake breeding (it’s common for people to breed sibling x parent or sibling x sibling one time or so).

That is a secret (just some Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus species). I’m just worried I’d have a hard time finding other people with the opposite gender (wouldn’t mind trying to breed for once or sending them off for a breeding loan).
Yep I know, I'm reptile/amphib person first, then Ts as a secondary "hobby". Breeding snakes relatives, also not wise. Just because one can do something, doesn't mean one should do something ;)

Don't buy unless you already know of people w/them is my personal rule.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Yep I know, I'm reptile/amphib person first, then Ts as a secondary "hobby". Breeding snakes relatives, also not wise. Just because one can do something, doesn't mean one should do something ;)

This is true!

Ugh, I really want those species though! Haha

Also, I don’t know many people in the hobby, is there a way to find out if there are other people with the species (like advertising but just beforehand, etc.)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I’ve got a Machala female....
Sometimes you can send males back to the breeders, who might have a little colony going. I’ve done this twice.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I’ve got a Machala female....
Sometimes you can send males back to the breeders, who might have a little colony going. I’ve done this twice.
Spoke to the breeder and they sadly don’t do breeding loans. If I ever get a male sp. machala I’ll let you know! Haha

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Also, I don’t know many people in the hobby, is there a way to find out if there are other people with the species (like advertising but just beforehand, etc.)?
If you have it then try some of the Facebook Tarantula groups, I advertise stuff I need rid of (MMs/surplus roaches/etc.) on the UK groups and it tends to go fairly quickly

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I would say to buy a handfull of the specimen from the species you like and in a year or two so buy another handfull so that you are statistically likely to have a female from the first batch and a male from the second. Or if you can buy a sexed female (or two) large juvi-adult and a handful of unsexed slings or small juvies then you would at least know that they aren't sac mates.

Granted depending on how *rare* they are this plan might not work so well. Also, if like me, it might take all of your monies which is a little discouraging. :sorry:

Is the species only hard to get in the US or is it universally hard to get. i would think that if asked nicely, an importer would look into the cost of getting you some from across the pond if they are available there. (But i would guess it is a little pricier that way)

Lost Patient

Arachnopeon
One thing to consider is how much you personally like them. The other thing is if they truly are that rare, then you could be one of the first people to sell them in some time, that could make it more profitable for you. I would not go crazy and spend 10,000 grand on some T's that just do not seem to sell though. Being unique is a great selling point though and if you were to breed them with any luck you could always find someone here to buy as long as they are unique. Rare can be rare sometimes because the species is mundane and looks like a hundred other T's. I would think you need to be more specific as to exactly what you are thinking about buying if you want a serious answer. Though I am a huge fan of some of the Pamphobeteus, and they are selling for pretty fair prices depending on what you have. What is the worst thing that can happen, you have a few extra T's in your collection. Sound OK to me, I have to say I have done the same thing you are talking about more than once and bought 20-50 slings,(just make sure you are getting good pricing). Most I did not even breed but instead raised to a larger size and sold, it was quite lucrative if I do say so. Plus then you just keep the best of the females for your own breeding projects later.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I’m not sure how rare they’d be, I’m just doing this because I’m honestly a huge fan of Pamphobeteus species, but these are the species and the amounts I was originally going to get
P. antinous x2
P. sp. ‘flammifera’
P. sp. ‘cascada’
P. sp. esmeraldus

Would you suggest me just get a few of two species then? My end goal is to also have a Pamphobeteus collection as well so

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If it is a species I really like and want to breed down the road, I get 3-5 slings (if slings are what is available).

With one batch of 5 slings, I ended up with 4 females and one male (who I was able to pair with the females), and with another batch of a different species of 5 slings I ended up with one female and 4 males (and the female was not big enough to be paired).

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Ended up going with:
2x P. antinous
P. flammifera
P. magna
P. costa

I’ll work on trying to grow my collection first and then breeding later. If they do happen to be female, that’d be great! If they happen to male I’ll try finding someone with a female who’s open to a breeding loan