What to do about rare MMs?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've recently made the discovery that owning an MM of a species that's uncommon in the hobby is hands down the most nerve-wracking aspect of tarantula ownership. One of my Aphonopelma buricas hooked out a month and a half ago. I've already exhausted all my contacts in the Aphonopelma enthusiast sub-community, and I'm so worried I won't be able to find somebody with an MF before he kicks it.

I can't be the only one who's dealt with this problem. Anyone here had an MM die a virgin before they could locate a female? How long can I expect him to live? (This is my first MM)

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Aphonopelmas can live a good year and a half, maybe on the outside two years before dying of old age. However, they are not sexually viable for that entire period. I'd say approximately 5-8 months of being able to reproduce. Though, there are outlier individuals that last a bit longer or even a bit shorter. Sometimes it just depends on the individual. (The male must be able to still make sperm webs in order for successful breeding to happen.)

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I've recently made the discovery that owning an MM of a species that's uncommon in the hobby is hands down the most nerve-wracking aspect of tarantula ownership. One of my Aphonopelma buricas hooked out a month and a half ago. I've already exhausted all my contacts in the Aphonopelma enthusiast sub-community, and I'm so worried I won't be able to find somebody with an MF before he kicks it.

I can't be the only one who's dealt with this problem. Anyone here had an MM die a virgin before they could locate a female? How long can I expect him to live? (This is my first MM)
I don't know about that species but it is entirely possible it could live for a few years after maturing. Have you tried contacting sellers to see if they have any use for it?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well these issues are more common than most people think. Better talk to people who deals with imports since they are most likely able to have species that are more uncommon/rare in the hobby.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Yes, I've had plenty of males that I was never able to find females for - it's the risk you take when you have species who are less common. They've lived out their lives with me just like all the rest - I treat them exactly like I do my females. They don't care that they're a 'virgin', they just keep doing what they're doing until they die.
I have a mature male Grammostola pulchripes who has been mature for 34 months and is doing very well. Aphonopelma males will be longer lasting as long as they are taken care of properly. Provide plenty of water to him, being hydrated at all times is key for mature males.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aphonopelmas can live a good year and a half, maybe on the outside two years before dying of old age. However, they are not sexually viable for that entire period. I'd say approximately 5-8 months of being able to reproduce.
Oh man, I didn't even consider age-related fertility loss! Yet another worry XD

Have you tried contacting sellers to see if they have any use for it?
Good thinking, I just sent them a message.

Well these issues are more common than most people think. Better talk to people who deals with imports since they are most likely able to have species that are more uncommon/rare in the hobby.
Do you have any importers you'd recommend? I haven't been real active on AB in a couple years.

Yes, I've had plenty of males that I was never able to find females for - it's the risk you take when you have species who are less common. They've lived out their lives with me just like all the rest - I treat them exactly like I do my females. They don't care that they're a 'virgin', they just keep doing what they're doing until they die.
I have a mature male Grammostola pulchripes who has been mature for 34 months and is doing very well. Aphonopelma males will be longer lasting as long as they are taken care of properly. Provide plenty of water to him, being hydrated at all times is key for mature males.
I didn't expect him to angst over dying foreveralone XD I just meant I'd feel like he'd be "wasted", if I can't at least attempt to breed him.

34 months?! That's crazy! Is he still making sperm webs? Aphonopelma burica is a faster growing, South American species like A. seemanni, I wouldn't expect the longevity of a US Aphono from him. For reference: I got him as a sling 5 years ago, and don't powerfeed.

Thanks for the hydration tip, I didn't know that. I'll give him a bigger water bowl to be on the safe side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I didn't expect him to angst over dying foreveralone XD I just meant I'd feel like he'd be "wasted", if I can't at least attempt to breed him.
34 months?! That's crazy! Is he still making sperm webs? Aphonopelma burica is a faster growing, South American species like A. seemanni, I wouldn't expect the longevity of a US Aphono from him. For reference: I got him as a sling 5 years ago, and don't powerfeed.
Thanks for the hydration tip, I didn't know that. I'll give him a bigger water bowl to be on the safe side.
Even the faster growing Central/South American Aphonopelma will probably last a fair amount of time as mature males. My mature male Brachypelma albopilosum lived for about 20 months mature and my Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large male matured at only ten months and is still around, and doing very well, after being mature for 14 months - he's been mature for over half his life. There are no guarantees, because I have had mature males last a shorter period, but some last a while.
My Grammostola pulchripes male stopped making sperm webs at about the year mark.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even the longest living immature male can die within a month of maturing without notice. Not all males will live 6 months to two years.
There are hobbyists that own adult female Aphonopelma burica. Most hobbyists want mature males to be handed on a silver platter at no cost. So if you’re willing to take a chance of a beating, possibly getting cheated from a possible egg than loan out the male. Personally I would place a for sale ad until the male is purchased or the male dies in my care.
I’m a firm believer that if you own an adult female and want to mate/breed the female than you purchase the male no matter what the cost is. I don’t need the headache of males being loaned out or have to share a sac from someone. No thanks!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even the longest living immature male can die within a month of maturing without notice. Not all males will live 6 months to two years.
There are hobbyists that own adult female Aphonopelma burica. Most hobbyists want mature males to be handed on a silver platter at no cost. So if you’re willing to take a chance of a beating, possibly getting cheated from a possible egg than loan out the male. Personally I would place a for sale ad until the male is purchased or the male dies in my care.
I’m a firm believer that if you own an adult female and want to mate/breed the female than you purchase the male no matter what the cost is. I don’t need the headache of males being loaned out or have to share a sac from someone. No thanks!
I posted in the Invertsonals back when he first matured, I hadn't considered putting him up for sale. That's a good idea. I have no idea how to price him, though. Is it some kind of faux pas to put him up for sale and also in the Invertsonals?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Most hobbyists want mature males to be handed on a silver platter at no cost. So if you’re willing to take a chance of a beating, possibly getting cheated from a possible egg than loan out the male. Personally I would place a for sale ad until the male is purchased or the male dies in my care.
I agree. I never do breeding loans with people I don't know - you purchase my male, or you don't. I also agree that there is far too much of... 'You should just be happy that I have a female and give him to me for almost nothing.' attitude. If I want to breed a species, then I am more than prepared to pay a reasonable amount for that mature male - I don't look at the situation as if I'm doing someone a favour by taking their mature male, because they're the ones doing me the favour. Otherwise, I just wait until spiderlings are available and try my luck buying a few and getting a male.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
When my P.Rubiseta hooked out, first thing I did was start advertising online I was looking for a female. Every customer who bought stuff of me I'd inform that I was looking for a female, and after spreading the word around enough I eventually got him a suitable, albeit pricy mate. The best you can do is just spread the word you have an MM in need of a lady as much as you can, and often times you'll have people ask if you're willing to give them the male instead. If after a while nobody is willing to sell you a female, then you should have a few keepers you can send him to as a fallback plan

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When my P.Rubiseta hooked out, first thing I did was start advertising online I was looking for a female. Every customer who bought stuff of me I'd inform that I was looking for a female, and after spreading the word around enough I eventually got him a suitable, albeit pricy mate. The best you can do is just spread the word you have an MM in need of a lady as much as you can, and often times you'll have people ask if you're willing to give them the male instead. If after a while nobody is willing to sell you a female, then you should have a few keepers you can send him to as a fallback plan
(Whoops I thought I replied to this already)
Huh, how common is it for people to buy mates for their MFs? I'd assume people willing/able to shell out for confirmed females would already have them.

Oh dang, I've never used the Classifieds before and didn't realize I need to earn privileges to post there. I'd be happy just to give away this guy as long as the female's owner as long as they pay shipping. Is the Classified subform even the right place to post a "Free to a good home" offer?

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had great success giving them a somewhat spacious tank and making sure they always have fresh water to drink. I have had mature males lived for over a year and continue to feed.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had great success giving them a somewhat spacious tank and making sure they always have fresh water to drink. I have had mature males lived for over a year and continue to feed.
Can you come to my house and tell my MM to stop flipping over/burying his water bowls?

How long did they continue making sperm webs for?