What tarantula should I get next?

Derivative

Arachnosquire
I currently have an 3 inch female A. Variegata and a 5 inch G.Rosea and was wondering what tarantula I should get next. I was planning on getting an L.Violaceopes but decided that it wouldn't be a good choice due to the fact that knowing how to transfer a fast defensive T and actually doing it are two very different things. I want to get experience with a fast defensive T that doesnt have medically significant venom before jumping into old world T's and was wondering what you guys would suggest. I dont care about strict husbandry requirements I just want the biggest fastest meanest new world tarantula there is to prepare me for old worlds. Emphasis on big im looking for 8+ inches. Any responses are very appreciated. Also I would be getting a spiderling.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Well generally the Psalmopoeus genus would be recommended, buy i don't think they get quite that large.

Tapinauchenius is the other genus that pops up a lot for very fast NW arboreal. i don't know if they are terribly defensive though. (no personal experience) and i also don't know what size they max out at.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Psalmopoeus cambridgei is one of the species usually recommended, as a tarantula that can prepare you for old world species. Mine are juveniles, but are still fast as hell, and were the same as slings. I always make sure I know where they are in the enclosure, before opening it. They grow quickly too. I haven’t had an adult yet but I’ve read they grow fairly large.

If you don’t want an arboreal, Acanthoscurria geniculata would be a good shout for a terrestrial. Read below as I’ve yet to keep one, but everything I’ve read about them seems to be similar.

This spider is a caricature of a defensive tarantula. It will attack anything and everything that enters its home... more precisely, it will attempt to eat anything that enters its home. It's actually unfair to call it defensive - I legitimately think that it assumes everything is food. Bite first, ask questions never. I say this because I've never seen mine kick unless I'm trying to wrangle it into a catch cup. Nothing near what some Brachypelma do, kicking hair if you walk by too quickly. Do note that their setae are pretty nasty in my opinion, just a couple steps below T. stirmi.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I want to get experience with a fast defensive T that doesnt have medically significant venom before jumping into old world T's and was wondering what you guys would suggest.
You're not going to find any NW arboreals that fit all the criteria you're after (size will be the biggest sticking point here although some reach around 7") but if you want fast and defensive but without the venom potency (they have more potent venom than other NWs so a bite will still ruin your day though) then Psalmopoeus are right up your street.

P. cambridgei get the largest at around 7" or so but they're also generally said to be the calmest and most visible of the genus (although my male made my L. nigerrimum pair look sociable).

I'd actually recommend P. irminia, they still get to a decent size (around 6" or so), they're fast, can be very cranky, and there's a good chance you'll get a reclusive specimen (I say this because everyone says they never see theirs yet mine is out every morning and evening). Given that Lampropelma are generally fast, extremely cranky, and reclusive I think this makes the irminia a better species to learn from.

Also, they're bloody gorgeous...

View media item 53824

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If you don’t want an arboreal, Acanthoscurria geniculata would be a good shout for a terrestrial. Read below as I’ve yet to keep one, but everything I’ve read about them seems to be similar.
Yeah, they think that everything is food until they've attacked it and realised that it isn't, I also wouldn't call them defensive, once they realise something isn't food they tend to dejectedly walk way from it, you'd be hard pushed to get mine to kick hairs let alone throw up a threat posture.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Pamphobeteus
Phormictopus
Lasiodora
Acanthoscurria

Take your pick.

Boxcar8

Arachnopeon
Huge fan of the A geniculata, they can have attitudes (mine does) and be quite quick on top of getting to 8+ inches. Phormictopus is also a good choice as they are cheaper, super pretty, get big, eat well and can be quite quick. Pamphobeteus would also fit that mould for a slightly higher price.

If I'm you, though, I think the best species to prep for OWs is the C cyaneopubescens. Only box it doesn't check for you is size but it still gets to 5-6 inches and it's pretty + always visible.

For first old world arboreals, though, I'd probably start with a Pokie. Terrestrials, I can not recommend the Harpactira pulchripes enough.

Derivative

Arachnosquire
You're not going to find any NW arboreals that fit all the criteria you're after (size will be the biggest sticking point here although some reach around 7") but if you want fast and defensive but without the venom potency (they have more potent venom than other NWs so a bite will still ruin your day though) then Psalmopoeus are right up your street.

P. cambridgei get the largest at around 7" or so but they're also generally said to be the calmest and most visible of the genus (although my male made my L. nigerrimum pair look sociable).

I'd actually recommend P. irminia, they still get to a decent size (around 6" or so), they're fast, can be very cranky, and there's a good chance you'll get a reclusive specimen (I say this because everyone says they never see theirs yet mine is out every morning and evening). Given that Lampropelma are generally fast, extremely cranky, and reclusive I think this makes the irminia a better species to learn from.

Also, they're bloody gorgeous...

View media item 53824
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the advice I think I'm going to get 1 P. Irminia and 1 P. Antinous. They seem like realy cool species and I'm just now starting to realize that their are so many cool new worlds their is no point diving into old worlds without experiencing some of the cool new worlds first.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would suggest you get a Phormictopus cancerides. My oersonal favourit speicies. They are feisty in general and some individuals can be nasty in teperament. A perfect transition to more fast and defenssive OW with stronger venom. Phormictopus cancerides are very fun spiders. They are beutiful, eats like machines, gets large and are highstrong and feisty! You cant go wrong with them! But i suggest you have experiens with 2 or 3 dpeicies before you buy a P cancerides!