What T should we get next...?

Madmog

Arachnopeon
Her Majesty isn't photosensitive exactly. She is a very private girl that pays a lot of attention to her reputation so there aren't any unbecoming rumors about her behavior. She is a sneaky hunter and considers it safest between 1-3am to fully crawl out of her well-hidden den. So when you actually get a glimpse of her, enjoy and look in awe at her - because her absence makes it a special moment when she graces you with her beautiful looks.

Ok, kidding aside. OP has a couple Brachys thus far. I'd suggest looking into Grammostola pulchripes an Euathlus sp. "red" / "fire". Although the latter is a dwarf T that will barely get over 2.5" fully grown, they are (generally - exceptions exists as with all Ts) the epitome of docile. And, if provided with lots of substrate, a hide and a waterdish - will thank you for the playground by redesigning their enclosure ongoing. They enjoy "find the waterdish" especially, so bright colors of that will help you to win at least -some- rounds.

~Jan
Thanks Storm76! Our G. rosea enjoys her playground and spends some time every day redesigning. She ignores the water bowl generally. I’m glad we don’t need to hunt for that!
Daughter wants one that will grow to around 5-6” so she’s not keen on the dwarf or giant species, otherwise a G. pulchripes would definitely be a possibility.

Terrestrial recommendations:
  • Acanthoscurria geniculata (attractive pattern and excellent feeding response; keep your hands out of the enclosure, because they think everything is food)
  • Aphonopelma chalcodes (slow growing and generally docile; relatively easy to find inexpensive juveniles; kept bone-dry, so maintenance is easy)
  • Brachypelma (slow growing; B. emilia is generally the most docile)
  • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (skittish and somewhat fast but usually visible among its web tunnels; kept bone-dry)
  • Euathlus (slow growing and generally docile)
  • Grammostola pulchra (slow growing and generally docile)

Arboreal recommendations (ideally start with a juvenile, not a sling):
  • Avicularia avicularia
  • Caribena versicolor

Their venom may be less potent, but I think it would still ruin your day. Plus this species tends to be both reclusive and defensive. (Most kids are going to want to at least see their pets.)

A more visible, less defensive Psalmopoeus is P. cambridgei, but that may still be more than the OP wants.
Great advice, thanks! Learning lots by looking up the species I’m yet to see! So far the leaders seem to be another Brachy (hamorii or emilia) or an A. chalcodes. We saw an A. chalcodes for sale before we bought our B. Albopilosum but it was sold before we could get to it and haven’t seen any others for sale since. It turned out for the best though as we then got our beloved Tara!

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
G. pulchripes grow pretty large actually. 6-7" are entirely possible. My girl here is a 6", somewhat moody, but very visible animal that rarely hides.

The dwarf species was the Euathlus sp. "red" I mentioned.

If you'd like to look for something more uncommon some suggestions:

Homoeomma sp. "blue" (Peru 2) might be an option as well. 5-6" in size, steely blue carapace and legs. They can be a little skittish, occasionally a bit defensive, but overall are easy to keep, good eaters and grow moderatly fast.

Euathlus sp. "blue" / "blue femur" might be an option as well for you

Acanthoscurria geniculata are common, but they reach up to 7"+ some even 8", grow fast, certainly come with an attitude (if it moves - it HAS to be food!) and look stunning. They also never hide really.

Brachypelma boehmei look awesome, but they are skittish and tend to kick hairs at the slightest disturbance - that includes just walking past their cage. They'd fit right in with the others you have. Same goes for any brachy really...emilia, auratum are other nice options imho.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Stunning looking tarantulas! Heavy webbers, bit skittish, grow fast and require same care as your Brachys: Just a waterdish, no misting.

Then there's P. sazimai, B. cabocla (I could go on for a while...but) in the end there are tons of great species out there but it all comes down to what you and your daugther are looking for in a T. Colors, behavior, visibility, care requirements should all be considered.

I'm sure you'll find a species that fits your wishes! Good luck!

Madmog

Arachnopeon
Wow, Storm76, you have some stunning tarantulas!! Think we may be adding a GBB to our wish list now.....love the web! It’s a shame we can’t have more, but after years of ‘no way are we getting a spider’ from hubby and son, we’re doing well to be looking for #3!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, Storm76, you have some stunning tarantulas!! Think we may be adding a GBB to our wish list now.....love the web! It’s a shame we can’t have more, but after years of ‘no way are we getting a spider’ from hubby and son, we’re doing well to be looking for #3!
It's a great hobby. For you guys in the US a lot more expensive than over here for us Europeans, but the common trait it teaches you is patience. And there's no animal I can think of that has such a low upkeep costs (food, veterinarian and whatnot considered) than a tarantula. Only downside we all want more and you'll always stumble over a species you instantly add to your wishlist :)

For me, if I get the chance, I'll be branching out into more OWs actually. Chilobrachys sp. "electric blue" and "vietnam blue" are right on top of my wishlist together with Psednocnemis brachyramosa. Sadly, those are also pretty expensive still :D

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Great ideas, thanks everyone. Not planning to handle it as don’t think it’s fair. We prefer to watch not touch. Guess it will now depend on availability here in S Wales.....
What are you looking for , is Britain crumbling like USA I been looking for a job for 4 years did 200+ apps.
Good luck on your new Ts I vote gbb , a genic or avic.
Unless you want old world, then it’s a crapshoot.

Xenoking

Arachnopeon
If u want one that will put a web up A.Avicularia or one that is decent sized and terrestrial A.chalcodes

Madmog

Arachnopeon
430DBA26-FD45-44FA-BF3C-6505DB3B7D7D.jpeg Well, we finally got #3.....got slightly sidetracked with a cocker spaniel puppy along the way hence the delay. (I wasn’t allowed more spiders until we got the puppy.) We ended up with the predictable B. hamorii, fell in love with this one....named it Fraggle.