What T should we get next...?

Madmog

Arachnopeon
My 10 year old daughter and I have convinced the family that we need a 3rd T......we have a 2 year old G. rosea (Lucille) and a 3 year old B. albopilosum (Tara) at the moment. What should we get next? Daughter thinks a B. hamorii or is that too predictable? Has to be a NW as not very experienced yet! It’ll probably be our last one as we won’t have room for more sadly....until the kids leave home! Ideas gratefully received!

BarksandFarts

Arachnopeon
I just got a B hamorii sling, a genic and a b. Emelia. Must say that the genic has been giving me the best feeding response, is already starting to get colours and is overall slightly more satisfying to keep since its always eating etc - more exciting for the new keeper. Dont have any nice pics of it tho so here’s my hamorii scavenge feeding

Attachments

Madmog

Arachnopeon
Thanks BarksandFarts, your hamorii is very cute! Genics are impressively fast growers...does that give them a shorter lifespan? We’d probably look for a juvenile of whatever we choose. Here are my little darlings....
ADD1542B-64BC-4CD1-A9C8-0C3035E98202.jpeg 69D21CBA-1D9A-4322-9E53-D77A6AF22452.jpeg

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
A B. hamori is always a good choice. They're pretty slow movers, care is easy and they usually aren't too feisty. A. genic grows fast, is a great eater but has a little bit more of an attitude. Both are terrestrial new worlds so the only real difference in care is that the hamori should be kept bone dry once they're past the sling stage and the geniculata likes moist substrate.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Maybe you you could go for a C. Versicolor. There not that hard to care for and they look nice if you want a terrestrial I’d go with the A. Genic as long as you don’t stick your hands in there:troll:
They grow pretty fast but that doesn’t really shorten their lifespan at all.
They make for an entertaining always out and pretty colorful pet tarantula.

Killertut

Arachnosquire
i can recommend any Brachypelma. love them all to bits. still missing some for my collection.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Pretty much anything in the Brachypelma, Grammostola, or Aphonopelma genera will be easy to care for. It's just a matter of price and which species you like the appearance of the best.

Also possibilities that you might look into:

Euathlus sp. red
C. cyaneopubescens
C. versicolor (arboreal)
A. avicularia (arboreal)
N. tripepii
P. sazimai
D. pentaloris

SpaceM

Arachnosquire
I'd definitely recommend A.geniculata if you want a NW that's a bit more exiting you wont be disappointed, when i feed mine she grabs crickets before they even touched the ground and happily will take 2 one after the other. They get pretty big too up to 8 inches dls.
If you want something with even more attitude i'v heard that P.irminia behave basically like an OW but without the dangers of OW venom, a really beautiful T in my opinion too.

For something more handleable i'd say go with an Avicularia or Caribena. They're a really chill species and there's a great choice of beautiful ones to go for.

Last edited:

Madmog

Arachnopeon
Great ideas, thanks everyone. Not planning to handle it as don’t think it’s fair. We prefer to watch not touch. Guess it will now depend on availability here in S Wales.....

SpaceM

Arachnosquire
Great ideas, thanks everyone. Not planning to handle it as don’t think it’s fair. We prefer to watch not touch. Guess it will now depend on availability here in S Wales.....
Funny you mention S wales actually i recently saw someone in Newport selling an adult female P.irmina if you decide to go down that route, i wanted it for myself but it's a bit out the way for me. Send me a DM if you want the details.

Madmog

Arachnopeon
Funny you mention S wales actually i recently saw someone in Newport selling an adult female P.irmina if you decide to go down that route, i wanted it for myself but it's a bit out the way for me. Send me a DM if you want the details.
Thanks for the heads up SpaceM, nice and close but don’t really want an arboreal until we have more experience, plus would prefer something younger. They are stunning though!

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
I'd definitely recommend A.geniculata if you want a NW that's a bit more exiting you wont be disappointed, when i feed mine she grabs crickets before they even touched the ground and happily will take 2 one after the other. They get pretty big too up to 8 inches dls.
If you want something with even more attitude i'v heard that P.irminia behave basically like an OW but without the dangers of OW venom, a really beautiful T in my opinion too.

For something more handleable i'd say go with an Avicularia or Caribena. They're a really chill species and there's a great choice of beautiful ones to go for.
Yeah psalmopoeus are great but compared to what the OP has now I think that genus might be a little to fast and although there venom isn’t as bad as old worlds it’s probably one of the worst new World venom.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I would go with theraphosa stirmi - they're great with children!:troll: Seriously though the much overlooked aphonopelma chalcodes is a good choice, inexpensive (at least in the US), less likely to kick hairs than a brachypelma, very easy to take care of. By the way I have a P.irminia - very photosensitive - basically the arboreal version of a pet hole. I've had it about six months and have seen it twice while the light was on, even then it quickly went into its hide.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
I would go with theraphosa stirmi - they're great with children!:troll: Seriously though the much overlooked aphonopelma chalcodes is a good choice, inexpensive (at least in the US), less likely to kick hairs than a brachypelma, very easy to take care of. By the way I have a P.irminia - very photosensitive - basically the arboreal version of a pet hole. I've had it about six months and have seen it twice while the light was on, even then it quickly went into its hide.
Yeah but when disturbed they go lightning fast especially when rehousing.

BarksandFarts

Arachnopeon
Maybe you you could go for a C. Versicolor. There not that hard to care for and they look nice if you want a terrestrial I’d go with the A. Genic as long as you don’t stick your hands in there:troll:
They grow pretty fast but that doesn’t really shorten their lifespan at all.
They make for an entertaining always out and pretty colorful pet tarantula.
Those things think everything is food apparently

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My 10 year old daughter and I have convinced the family that we need a 3rd T......we have a 2 year old G. rosea (Lucille) and a 3 year old B. albopilosum (Tara) at the moment. What should we get next? Daughter thinks a B. hamorii or is that too predictable? Has to be a NW as not very experienced yet! It’ll probably be our last one as we won’t have room for more sadly....until the kids leave home! Ideas gratefully received!
Terrestrial recommendations:
  • Acanthoscurria geniculata (attractive pattern and excellent feeding response; keep your hands out of the enclosure, because they think everything is food)
  • Aphonopelma chalcodes (slow growing and generally docile; relatively easy to find inexpensive juveniles; kept bone-dry, so maintenance is easy)
  • Brachypelma (slow growing; B. emilia is generally the most docile)
  • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (skittish and somewhat fast but usually visible among its web tunnels; kept bone-dry)
  • Euathlus (slow growing and generally docile)
  • Grammostola pulchra (slow growing and generally docile)

Arboreal recommendations (ideally start with a juvenile, not a sling):
  • Avicularia avicularia
  • Caribena versicolor

If you want something with even more attitude i'v heard that P.irminia behave basically like an OW but without the dangers of OW venom
Their venom may be less potent, but I think it would still ruin your day. Plus this species tends to be both reclusive and defensive. (Most kids are going to want to at least see their pets.)

A more visible, less defensive Psalmopoeus is P. cambridgei, but that may still be more than the OP wants.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
By the way I have a P.irminia - very photosensitive - basically the arboreal version of a pet hole. I've had it about six months and have seen it twice while the light was on, even then it quickly went into its hide.
Her Majesty isn't photosensitive exactly. She is a very private girl that pays a lot of attention to her reputation so there aren't any unbecoming rumors about her behavior. She is a sneaky hunter and considers it safest between 1-3am to fully crawl out of her well-hidden den. So when you actually get a glimpse of her, enjoy and look in awe at her - because her absence makes it a special moment when she graces you with her beautiful looks.

Ok, kidding aside. OP has a couple Brachys thus far. I'd suggest looking into Grammostola pulchripes an Euathlus sp. "red" / "fire". Although the latter is a dwarf T that will barely get over 2.5" fully grown, they are (generally - exceptions exists as with all Ts) the epitome of docile. And, if provided with lots of substrate, a hide and a waterdish - will thank you for the playground by redesigning their enclosure ongoing. They enjoy "find the waterdish" especially, so bright colors of that will help you to win at least -some- rounds.

~Jan