What T should I get?

Frodo240203

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone. I currently own an adult A.seemani, P.regalis and vittata, juvenile p.irminia, gbb and a.geniculata and a LP a h.mac sling. On top of this I also own 2 heterometrus scorpions, an emperor and a vinegaroon. Im looking into buying a new sling, so based on my level of experience, could anyone recommend me on what I should get? Preferably a non-fossorial species, one that is mostly visible and has a medium-fast growth rate. Im okay with arboreals and terrestrials.
Thanks in advance!!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Brachypelma vagans.

Ours have gained several inches in the time we have had them (less than a year). They have great appetites. Some of ours have burrowed, but against the side of the enclosure so they are still very visible.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I don't see any Pamphobeteus spp. in your list. Get a Pampho. Or a Phormictopus. You won't regret it.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
x2 for Pamphobeteus or Phormictopus sp. how can you say no to these?

8FC10BF6-2DC7-49FF-A2AB-DA8BE9EC3224.jpeg 340D8978-2B63-4A22-99D7-5B113F45F06F.jpeg 663E15C9-1AE1-4581-B6D3-19A37086CBD1.jpeg

Frodo240203

Arachnosquire
An OBT maybe? I love their color and their aggressive nature :rolleyes:
I will definately get one of these in the future! Dont know if im ready yet tho...

x2 for Pamphobeteus or Phormictopus sp. how can you say no to these?

View attachment 296923 View attachment 296924 View attachment 296925
Thanks! What is that stunning species in the 3rd photo?

Brachypelma vagans.

Ours have gained several inches in the time we have had them (less than a year). They have great appetites. Some of ours have burrowed, but against the side of the enclosure so they are still very visible.
I was thinking of b vagans too! Thanks for your reply

I don't see any Pamphobeteus spp. in your list. Get a Pampho. Or a Phormictopus. You won't regret it.
Nice suggestion, thanks! I probably will settle on one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thanks! What is that stunning species in the 3rd photo?
Young female Pamphobeteus sp. ‘platyomma’ the other two pictured are quite a bit smaller and have yet to gain their adult coloration unlike the platyomma

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
I will definately get one of these in the future! Dont know if im ready yet tho...
Well you have kept pokies, and these are also old world with very poisonous venom.
Honestly I think that with enough precaution and a long enough tong anyone can keep OBTs without a problem...

sasker

Arachnoprince
They dont burrow right?
They do when they are smaller, but less later on. Mine is out quite often, but prefers to hide in her burrow if I disturb her container. Her hide is a large piece of cork bark, buried in the substrate. I haven't seen her for a while because she is near a molt, but otherwise I see her almost all the time. Definitely not a pet hole.

Frodo240203

Arachnosquire
They do when they are smaller, but less later on. Mine is out quite often, but prefers to hide in her burrow if I disturb her container. Her hide is a large piece of cork bark, buried in the substrate. I haven't seen her for a while because she is near a molt, but otherwise I see her almost all the time. Definitely not a pet hole.
Ok nice. Do you prefer pamphos or phormics though?

sasker

Arachnoprince
I prefer my pampho. I only have one Phormictopus sp., but I have no clue what. I got her almost for free from my local pet shop and the owner didn't remember what it was. Phormics usually tend to be a bit more high-strung, but mine is very easy going. My pamphobeteus has a bigger appetite and I like the stockier build. But phormics are great tarantulas too, just a lot cheaper.

Speaking from my own experience, the ones I keep do not kick a lot of hair, but I have heard other stories.

Frodo240203

Arachnosquire
I prefer my pampho. I only have one Phormictopus sp., but I have no clue what. I got her almost for free from my local pet shop and the owner didn't remember what it was. Phormics usually tend to be a bit more high-strung, but mine is very easy going. My pamphobeteus has a bigger appetite and I like the stockier build. But phormics are great tarantulas too, just a lot cheaper.

Speaking from my own experience, the ones I keep do not kick a lot of hair, but I have heard other stories.
Thanks a lot! Lastly, the growth rate is fast right?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hi everyone. I currently own an adult A.seemani, P.regalis and vittata, juvenile p.irminia, gbb and a.geniculata and a LP a h.mac sling. On top of this I also own 2 heterometrus scorpions, an emperor and a vinegaroon. Im looking into buying a new sling, so based on my level of experience, could anyone recommend me on what I should get? Preferably a non-fossorial species, one that is mostly visible and has a medium-fast growth rate. Im okay with arboreals and terrestrials.Thanks in advance!!
Assuming you have the experience level to match what you already have (in other words, that you're not a brand keeper with a bunch of slings), you have many options.

I don't see any baboons on your list. Why not a Ceratogyrus? A spider with a horn is a pretty cool addition. (While my marshalli is a pet hole, most people say this species is on display a lot.)

Another good starter baboon is Augacephalus ezendami.

Phormictopus and Pamphobeteus could be some nice New World terrestrial options. (Phormictopus tend to be a little less expensive than Pamphobeteus.)

Bumba cabocla looks kind of like a cross between a tarantula and a true spider, and it has striking coloring.

I like the look of Davus pentaloris, and mine is always out.

If you're not opposed to dwarf species, Neoholothele incei and Dolichothele diamantinensis are cool. Neoholothele incei grows quickly and webs like crazy.

For arboreals, you don't have any Avicularia or Caribena versicolor.

More Psalmopoeus could also be a good option for you.

You need a T. stirmi
Their prices though...
T. stirmi is normally pretty affordable. It's the T. blondi that will set you back a bit.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I quite like my Pamphobeteus sp mascara.

View attachment 296940
I can’t wait for mine to reach this size!

My experience with Phormics is that their appetite is just as big and they are as food driven as Pamphos are, if not a bit more (I always get a better display when feeding them compared to feeding Pamphos). However, I only have one tarantula that’s over 4” and most of mine are under 3”.