What species/type/group of tarantulas are you into?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Is curious and skittish and decent speed a type? Lol. It started with GBBs--they dart at a disturbance and then double back in curiosity to see if maybe they shouldn't have run in the first place. And then I got a H.incei which was similar, quicker, and a great labyrinth builder and webber. Hapalopus also turned out to be wonderfully curious too, almost like mini GBBs in some aspects. And when I got Tapis I was really in love because they were super fast and super curious and not pet webs! The dialogue we have when I fill their water dishes is great: "oh the great water stream is coming! I'll wait here at the edge of the dish for you to finish. Too slow, I want it now! (jumps into half filled dish and moves legs around) Now I am wet! I better run some laps to dry off while you finish filling that. You are finally done? Good, then I sit here calmly and enjoy a drink for 5 mins".
And then I discovered OWs...
My unicorns--encyocratella olivacea-- just happen to be fast, skittish, curious, and gold beauties. And surprisingly, I have one Hmac and a new P.metallica adult female who are very curious. Although I can't really call the P.metallica skittish. She has turned out to be quite the uncharacteristic light lover--leaving her web for the patch of sunlight in the afternoon. Weird!
Will have to agree on the Taps curiosity, when I refill the water dish mine will pop out or when I throw food in, it seems to know exactly what I'm doing, but its has not lived up to the bolting reputation the genus has.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Aphonopelma will always be my hands-down favorites. Gotta give the natives some love ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species

Aphonopelma is a good example of a ring species, that aspect, i actually find more fascinating than their attractive appearance and generally mellow attitudes.

The fact that they speciate but have little change in morphology other than size and color is, and always has been remarkable to me. Usually even within a single genus, spiders tend to have differing embolus shapes, preventing them physically from hybridizing. But aphonos across their entire range have identical emboli. Perhaps their genes are so distant that they dont require the whole lock and key thing..

I know many of you seriously hate hybrids, but i gotta say, an A. seemani mixed with an A. chalcodes would be so freaking epic.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Im mostly into baboons and poecis. I also am into a few odd and end new worlds like Tapinauchenius, Hapalopus, Psalmopoeus. Certain genra i only want like 1 or two species of. Its hard to pinpoint exactly what i will like.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I'm all over the place, but I'm definitely a pokie person. I love spiders on both ends of the attitude spectrum, really skittish/defensive and really docile. The ones in the middle (while I own a good number) never quite hold my interest as well.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I'm all over the place...
Me, too. I'm new enough not to know much about anything so trying a little of everything, keeping affordability in mind, to see what appeals to me. I've found a pretty wide variance in individual specimens so far so I'm not sure I'll settle on a particular group, such as Grammastolas, etc. (Right now my G. rosea is the grouchiest t in my collection, whereas my G. pulchra is as tame as a puppy.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AgVet09

Arachnopeon
Brachypelma smithi is my first love. I've got an 11 year old girl that I will probably cry when she dies. But I generally like crazy and/or odd coloration, and if they get huge that's a plus. I love baboons too for their comically bad attitudes, and I have a soft spot for Aphonopelma hentzi. I know they aren't all that interesting, but I came across a wild one when I was a kid, and that's what got me interested in tarantulas, and they're my local native, so I've always loved them.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
I seem to like the more leggy ones. Usually when a pic of a T makes me go "wow" it's a mature male. Most asian species are very nice and I have a soft spot for all pokies, though they're out of my league atm.
Might explain something that I'm still more of a true spider guy and I love Nephila, Latrodectus and Sparassidae. You know, the leggy ones...

Tivia

Arachnopeon
I'm attracted to the brightly colored T's, but I will only keep the more docile, non defensive ones. The fuzzier the better. :)

CupcakeRosea

Arachnosquire
Terrestrials for me for right now. Old and new world.
Maybe some day I will get an arboreal. They're like the glass elevator from Willy Wonka. "Fast diagonal, up, down, side to side."

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
By looking at my collection, I guess one could say that it's an even split between the Brachypelma and Grammastola genus.

I have 2 X G. rosea (Itsy & Lily), and 1 X G. pulchra (Bithia)

For Brachypelma, I have one B. emilia (Maggie), one B. vagans (Pepper) and one B. albopilosum (Dee Dee).

The collection is rounded out by 5 X P. regalis slings (none named yet, but looking at Valeria, Valour, Victory, Vendetta, and Vlad), plus one P. irmina (Toni) and one very large LP (Evita).

:)

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ironically im probably one of the few on here who will say this but I love Stromatapelma calceatum, and consider it to be my favorite species. Now that isnt to say that i dont have a soft spot for others such as Cyriocosmus and Poecilotheria.

Mindibun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like the bulky ground dwellers the best, such as the Brachys and Grammys. However, I've owned them for years and I'm finding myself being drawn to the baboon species lately. Guess I'm looking for some color and excitement after living with my "vanilla" spiders for so long. -lol-

oooo35980

Arachnosquire
It's the variety of Ts that I really like, I have a bunch of different species because I enjoy the differences between them. I honestly don't have a preference, except that I find pokies the most annoying to deal with. They aren't difficult or anything, I just don't like how mine tend to pick a direction and bolt at the slightest provocation.

bigt0006

Arachnosquire
Well i really like Ts that web and i guess i can say i have a thing for avicularia, i have 5 avics a little less then half of my Ts are avics then i have 2 baboons i dont see either one to much. My gbb ,2 C fymbriatus , 1 P murinus , my 3 A versicolors, 1 A urticans are all awesome webbers my avic avic doesnt web at all

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

shamilt1

Arachnopeon
+ 1 for Pokies and Baboons. Have 2 P Regalis that are always out and about. Also like the looks and webbing from my H. Macs and S. Cals. Love arboreal "T"s.

FrancesP

Arachnopeon
My favorites to keep are the New World arboreals. In particular Psalmopeus and Taps. I have to admit, though, a high contrast H. maculata still gives me goosebumps. I'm a sucker for any arboreal...which is tragic considering I currently only have terrestrials. Time to shop.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
After searching around and looking at other peoples collection, I've noticed that people tend to steer towards a species/type/group of tarantulas. Be it new world T's, baboons, Avics, Pokies, etc.

Do you find yourself leaning towards one group more so than others? If so, what do you like about them? Are there any good qualities, behaviors, etc. about them you like?

I myself find to like the new world 'birdeaters' more. Mainly the Phormictopus, Pamphobeteus, Theraphosa, and Xenesthis species. I find the colors striking, their attitude (from what I've seen online and a friends collection) and their size. I'm actually planning to get a Phormictopus and Pampho. as my first T's later on this summer after my trip.

I'm mainly into the old word Ts, and the eating machines

I love the old world Ts & the terrestrial eating machines because of the old world colors and the growth speed of both.

Ironically I am in this hobby but I have limited patience (?) when it comes to T growth lol...If you ever see me with a slow growing T (besides the one I have) it will most likely be a 100% female with adult colors or close to them.

But being addicted to buying Ts this could change at any minute