What species/type/group of tarantulas are you into?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
After searching around and looking at other peoples collection, I've noticed that people tend to steer towards a species/type/group of tarantulas. Be it new world T's, baboons, Avics, Pokies, etc.

Do you find yourself leaning towards one group more so than others? If so, what do you like about them? Are there any good qualities, behaviors, etc. about them you like?

I myself find to like the new world 'birdeaters' more. Mainly the Phormictopus, Pamphobeteus, Theraphosa, and Xenesthis species. I find the colors striking, their attitude (from what I've seen online and a friends collection) and their size. I'm actually planning to get a Phormictopus and Pampho. as my first T's later on this summer after my trip.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I particularly enjoy feisty New Worlds, of which i have quite a few. I'm also very into Poecs and baboons but you wouldn't know it from my collection; they only make up a little over a third of it but I wasn't initially so into them.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Phormics are not a bad choice for a first T, they are pretty hard to kill, they can have some attitude but if you get a sling you can grow into it. As for me I kinda have a around the world theme, I like to have something from each region of the world. I first started off with aboreals, then I kinda moved into NW terrestrials, then OW aboreals, and now into OW terrestrials. I usually go for something that is different from the other T's I have and go for that theme for a bit. I'd say I have a pretty good mix atm.
So far my collection is thus far:
2 New World Arboreals
3 Bulky NW Terrestrial
1 NW Terrestrial (E.murinus, so it gets its own special category as its built like an arboreal)
1 NW Dwarf
1 NW Semi-Arboreal (GBB)
4 OW Arboreal
2 OW Terrestrial

I'm planning on getting a mix of OW and NW terrestrials later this years, then I'll probably swing back to arboreals again.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
As a beginner, with a limited collection (four arachnids, only two are spiders) I find myself drawn to "beefy terrestrials" that have tendency for docility. That means no Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, or other defensive species. And certainly no old worlds. But any Brachy, Grammy, Aphonos, etc are rather fair game.

I've been using Salticidae jumpers to get me over my adversity towards faster spiders. They move pretty quick and it kinda freaks me out. Not that I'm worried for my safety, but quite actually, theirs. Once I have more confidence, I'll shoot for an Avic of sorts.

Despite my choice (it really is a choice) for "beefy terrestrials", what drew me to tarantulas was an Ephebopus murinus for sale at a LPS.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Brachypelma genus is my first love (almost a third of my collection). I also adore the baboon tarantulas (another 1/3). More than 3/4 of my spiders are terrestrial, including 4 of the 5 Nhandu species, with some obligate burrowers. I was dragged kicking and screaming into arboreals of which I currently have 8 (Psalmos, Poecies and Avics). And there are a handful of semi-arboreals.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a soft spot for Aphonopelmas and I'm not sure exactly why. I've only got 2 species right now, but I'm eyeing moderatum and Carlsbad green, and maybe a blue form seemanni.

Jterry

Arachnosquire
I find myself really drawn to thick terrestrial and fossorial species. My mating pair of Pamphobeteus platyomma are my loves! I also love the look of my N. chromatus, P. muticus (those fat legs!), L. parahybana, and H. gigas. I'd like to eventually get more Pamphos and some Theraphosas, as well as an E. murinus. I have a C. andersoni but I'm not fond of the thin/ more delicate, asian terrestrial look. I don't know why, just not for me.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a soft spot for Aphonopelmas and I'm not sure exactly why. I've only got 2 species right now, but I'm eyeing moderatum and Carlsbad green, and maybe a blue form seemanni.
Obviously a thoughtful woman of subtle disposition.

David VB

Arachnosquire
My interest lays mostly in the Theraphosidae :p

Really, since i'm fairly new in this, i like every T i discover! Thanx to forums like these of course ;)

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Pokies pokies pokies pokies Pokies pokies pokies pokies Pokies pokies pokies pokies Pokies pokies pokies pokies Pokies pokies pokies pokies Pokies pokies pokies pokies

Oh and i love me some poecilitheria...

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This time around I find myself going more for the terrestrial ts as the 1st time around I had mostly arboreals with only a few terrestrials but I always found myself drawn to the few I had. I started off this time with bulky ts such as grammostolas brachys etc but now im drawn more towards dwarf species more than ever my collection at the moment contains the following.
B Emilia juve
G pulchra sub adult female
Nhandu coloratovillosus adult female
Gbb sub adult female
Oligoxystre diamantinensis sling unsexed
Aphonopelma serratum sling unsexed
Grammostola anthracina sling unsexed
Euathlas sp red sub adult female
Paraphysa sp north unsexed
Paraphysa parvula unsexed

As you can see there's no real pattern to my collection apart from the terrestrial link

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I'm rather new, so my collection doesn't speak for my (secret ) favorite. I love baboons! I am quite guilty of watching videos of keepers with awe and a bit of envy. Such a beautiful group *0*

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have to agree with Aphonopelmas. Would love a moderatum. My bicoloratum is beautiful.

To make up for waiting forever for my Aphonopelmas to grow, Psalmos and their attitude are awesome. Then my next favs are the little guys. Love, love, love the dwarf species: Cyriocosmus, Holothele & Heterothele.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Obviously a thoughtful woman of subtle disposition.
Hahah, when you put it like that I should say something classy like "The Aphonopelma genus possesses a quiet beauty that eludes mere words"

New World terrestrials for sure. I like woolly, bulky, docile Ts.
Woolly is a great way to describe that!

Have to agree with Aphonopelmas. Would love a moderatum. My bicoloratum is beautiful.

To make up for waiting forever for my Aphonopelmas to grow, Psalmos and their attitude are awesome. Then my next favs are the little guys. Love, love, love the dwarf species: Cyriocosmus, Holothele & Heterothele.
Aw yeah Team Aphonopelma represent! Serratum is another I definitely need to get someday. Bicoloratum is so hard to come by I never even considered getting one, but I bet yours is gorgeous.

I recently acquired my first dwarf (a freebie P. scrofa), and I doubt it's gonna be my last. Something about a tiny dainty T is really appealing to me.

Zcreator

Arachnopeon
Is curious and skittish and decent speed a type? Lol. It started with GBBs--they dart at a disturbance and then double back in curiosity to see if maybe they shouldn't have run in the first place. And then I got a H.incei which was similar, quicker, and a great labyrinth builder and webber. Hapalopus also turned out to be wonderfully curious too, almost like mini GBBs in some aspects. And when I got Tapis I was really in love because they were super fast and super curious and not pet webs! The dialogue we have when I fill their water dishes is great: "oh the great water stream is coming! I'll wait here at the edge of the dish for you to finish. Too slow, I want it now! (jumps into half filled dish and moves legs around) Now I am wet! I better run some laps to dry off while you finish filling that. You are finally done? Good, then I sit here calmly and enjoy a drink for 5 mins".
And then I discovered OWs...
My unicorns--encyocratella olivacea-- just happen to be fast, skittish, curious, and gold beauties. And surprisingly, I have one Hmac and a new P.metallica adult female who are very curious. Although I can't really call the P.metallica skittish. She has turned out to be quite the uncharacteristic light lover--leaving her web for the patch of sunlight in the afternoon. Weird!

Last edited: