What species of spider is it?

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
What... is this spider.....? And would it be dangerous to keep one because it looks so cool. Apparently they're really big and there's lots at my uncles!

Attachments

Last edited:

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
My friend says its a brown recluse but I dont think so, I think it's a wolf spider of some species

Attachments

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The rear view eyes say Lycosid. Appears to be in a death curl. Why?<snip>

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Definitely lycosid (not a recluse or anything medically significant).

NYAN

Arachnoking
My friend says its a brown recluse but I dont think so, I think it's a wolf spider of some species
Refer your friend to the UCR website please. You can definitely keep this as a pet, although that one looks a bit expired. It’s not dangerous.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
yea that one was dead, his kittens were playing with it when they caught it. It passed like minutes later

They're really big, apparently this is a smaller one, I'll take pictures as I get a few more for pets

Last edited by a moderator:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
They're really big, apparently this is a smaller one, I'll take pictures as I get a few more for pets
they dont get all THAT big, he's likely either seeing hogna carolinensis or some other tigrosa species. this particular species is only about 20mm in body length, wiht a 2" legspan
aspersa and carolinensis are much larger.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Well he measured one at 2.5" though I wont know for sure till i go catch some live ones for myself

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Not dangerous, especially if it's dead:rolleyes:;)
I remember when my brother went to Georgia and brought back a dead black window. He freaked when I picked it up by the leg like it was somehow going to come to life and bite me. I said to him "unless it's a zombie I think I'll be okay".