What Species of Scorpion Should I Get?

MES

Arachnosquire
Hello!
I am currently considering getting a scorpion. I have another one, who is a Desert Hairy, but I am looking for one that is more docile and I could handle occasionally. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks a ton!

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Never handle your animal unless you have to :rolleyes:...
It really depends on where you live and what you want, if you want a communal colony C.Gralis and Tityus Stigmurus are both pretty good(along with couple others that I can't remeber the name of). If you want something that's cheap then H.spinfer is pretty nice. If you want a "wow" type of scorpion go with emperor scorpion or deathstalker or a red indian fattail:rofl:. I don't really know much about handling scorpions, if you want a animal that you can handle a ball python is a very nice choice, or a centipede if you know what you are doing, I personally wouldn't try with scops(Cause I know nothing about it)

MES

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all your awesome info!
I will definitely consider all my options, and you for sure gave a ton of great ones.
Thanks again!

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Your welcome, probably should wait for some more experienced people to give you some more advice :rofl: cause I really don't know a whole lot of species. H.spinfer sound likes a pretty good starting point for the hobby(from what I heard), they are pretty cheap and can be kept communally after 6 instar(Adult), I also seen some people do it with baby scops but I woldn't risk it.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I suggest Hadrurus arizonensis, for a beginner they are a really low maintenance scorp. They are a desert species so you don’t need to worry about moisture save for a little water dish (some even keep them without that). They are out very frequently, eat well, are really cool looking, and get large. I would only add that you should get a sub-adult, instead of a scorpling if you go with this species. I really like mine.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Smerigurus maesenensis is another good desert dwelling species. Gets decent sized and is kind of spazzy, so they're entertaining to keep. They can also be good practice for some of the desert dwelling buthids.

If you want something to handle, do not get anything from the family Buthidae (Tityus, Hottentotta, Parabuthus, Androctonus, Leiurus, Centruroides, etc.). Probably not a family to get if you're new to the scorp hobby either, though Centruroides are a bit more forgiving and have less potent venom.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I’m gonna go the uncommon route as well as promote my love of native scorpions. Consider Smeringurus vachoni vachoni or Anuroctonus pococki. Good sized and both have some impressive lobster claws.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I’m gonna go the uncommon route as well as promote my love of native scorpions. Consider Smeringurus vachoni vachoni or Anuroctonus pococki. Good sized and both have some impressive lobster claws.
I'd vote for S. vachoni as well. I used to have a male and he was fun to keep. Surprisingly mild mannered for the genus, but still a fun pet.