What Species is Right for Me?

ArtisticAardwolf

Arachnosquire
I'm not getting a scorpion anytime soon, but I know one day I'll have one in my collection...

I have never kept a scorpion!
I'd like one that's big and not to dangerous, anything fit that description?

Also are there any scorpions you can handle?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Asian Forest Scorpion is an awesome choice for a first scorpion. You get alot bang for your buck, they are more terrestrial thus more active than Emps, and they are impressive in size too.

In my enclosure, I prefabricated two shallow burrows using the combo of forest mix, spagnum moss, and two pieces of arched cork bark at each end. My Heterometrus has shown no interest in digging or constructing his own burrow nor renovating the ones I made for him. He uses my burrows by day and is active every night.

Handling is another matter which depends on the individual temperment of the scorpion you obtain but generally speaking they are more skittish then the gentle Emps, and openly willing to deter handling with posturing threats with their claws or may even use their stingers. This rule is not 100% guaranteed. EDIT: My AFS has chilled out and will tolerate short handling, crawl onto my hand, etc. I have even petted his mesoma with no negative or defensive reactions a few times ... but I am probably cruising for a bruising with that latter contact.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
I always recommend Smeringurus vachoni. They can be a bit hard to find but since they are from areas like death valley, they can survive even if you are totally new and mess everything up. Plus, they eat very well and look very cool, especially males. Also they are easy to handle

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pandinus (sensu lato), Heterometrus, Opistophthalmus, Hadrurus, and Hadogenes are my top recommendations of genera for beginners. They're all large, long lived, hardy, relatively slow moving, and have mild venom.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I always recommend Smeringurus vachoni. They can be a bit hard to find but since they are from areas like death valley, they can survive even if you are totally new and mess everything up. Plus, they eat very well and look very cool, especially males. Also they are easy to handle
In my experience, these guys are highly defensive and ready to sting anything that comes near them. i have two and both are extremely defensive / aggressive. they are awesome little guys though forsure

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
In my experience, these guys are highly defensive and ready to sting anything that comes near them. i have two and both are extremely defensive / aggressive. they are awesome little guys though forsure
Odd... All of mine are extremely handleable

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
strange haha
I ran into the same thing with my hadogenes troglodytes. They were recommended as easy to handle so I got a pair and they are both complete spazzes whenever I try to come near them. Guess there can just be a wide range of temperament between individuals. My imperators on the other hand, I swear I could reach down and pick them up like a baseball and they couldn't care less.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Heterometrus petersi, if you want something that's a bit more "fun" then go with Parabuthus transvaalicus (More venomous, but they grow quick and eat good, also super easy care. Top beginner specie if you are not too worried with venom.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first scorpion was a pandinus imperator highly recommend them so a first scorpion. They're a big species and they're not inclined fo sting. If they do though their venom potency is minuscule. Really cool species and one I'll always have in my collection.

Attachments