What species glow?

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
GUSTO said:
You should tell your friends to get a Scorpion, either a Emperor or a Desert Hairy if they want something that glows. But tell them to invest in a Book or browse the Scorpion forum on this site for awhile and If they feel they can meet the needs of the pet then get one. It's best to have the enclosure setup before you get the animal. On second thought tell your friend to look into Just the Desert Hairy ( H. Spandix) I think it would have a better chance of surviving in you r friends care than an emperor :eek: Or better yet to them to get a Chia-Pet.
Plants in my care ALWAYS whither and die. I have black thumbs! :(

WingedDefeat

Arachnopeon
How about getting back to the original post, eh? Reaming someone for their supposed ignorance is one thing, but having something relevant to say is another. So, are there any tarantulas that fluoresce under a black light?

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rob1985 said:
Not to mention since the heat stays up so does the mumidity.
You have an E. pachypus, right? Like most baboon ts, they're from an arid climate, they don't like humidity. Dry substrate and a water dish will make for a much happier African t.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
WingedDefeat said:
How about getting back to the original post, eh? Reaming someone for their supposed ignorance is one thing, but having something relevant to say is another. So, are there any tarantulas that fluoresce under a black light?

I agree. This person obviously cares for his/her T and the welfare of the one his friend bought in ignorance, why are you all jumping on him/her? I myself use a red light lamp on my T. blondi when the temps are low, he basks under it!
I have never heard of a glowing tarantula, I hope you are able to convince your friend to take that poor H. minax back to where he got it from, before he gets bit or worse, something happens to the T.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
WingedDefeat said:

Well if someone is not taking proper care of a pet, or don't know how to someone should let them know.

I don't know or have never heard of any T's that "GLOW"

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Something relevant to say.....

Tarantulas don't glow. Red lights don't bother them. Been keeping G roseas for 9 years never seen one 6". Not saying its impossible but......

Matt

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
arachnojunkie said:
Not to offend, but why on earth would you put a spider that is 4" to 5" MAX in a cage that is 30" long? Even a 10 Gallon is waaayyyyy over doing it. And lighting? :wall: I imagine you have a very stressed tarantula on your hands, again not trying to offend but educate. Please change your setup. For the spider atleast.....I bought my friend a 4" G Rosea and a medium Kritter Keeper for Christmas as he has been admiring my collection for like ever. Told him everything you would/should ever know about keeping the spider happy and healthy, what does he do about 3 days later? Goes to the pet store and lets an uneducated high school graduate convince him into buying a 10 gallon terrarium "setup" with bark a fancy water dish.....the whole nine yards for..........$70.00 :eek: I could have punched him in the mouth. Again, just trying to help. :) As for the Haplopelma sp. ANOTHER reason Ts shouldn't be sold in pet shops.
I dont see how a huge tank is going to stress a tarantula. If they feel 'exposed' they will burrow or take to a hide. I imagine the lands where they come from are bigger than a "30 gallon tank" <Ahem>.
If people want to setup a T in a 10 gallon tanks with plants and bark n such because it appeals to thier sense of asthetics, more power to em. I could never do it with 170 T's !!!!!!

And now ----- No tarantulas flouresce like scorpions. I've used the black light alot in the T room and never seen anything. The white banding mentioned not withstanding of course. But nothing like the full body glow of a scorp...

T

Strang Love

Arachnopeon
I have been keeping scorpions for much longer than any of my T's and they seem to be a better bet for people looking for a "cool" pet. They sit outside a lot, watching them eat/sting is pretty nifty :clap: :D, and the do that whole blacklight glowy thingy :D . And as for the glowing T i have never seen one but it's not to say i can't be possible. Oh and i also use a redlight on my G Birdeater and she loves it too but i have a cobalt and asian chevron that hate it. Guess it could on depend on the T

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you really think its a good idea that he should take it back? I dont think care in pet shops is exactly top notch and it might die waiting for an owner, and besides someone else might buy it that is just as ignorant as he was. I would feel a lot better finding someone experienced to take it so i can know it will be ok. If i can find someone im sure i can convince them to send it to a better home. I will talk to them about a scorpian, and i will make SURE that they research its need BEFORE getting it. As for my G rosea i am not going to change her tank becuase im sure Chile is much larger than a 10 gallon tank. If i get another Tarantuala (probably a B. smithi or B. albo) i will look into a smaller terrarium and i will check here to see wat they need, but that is a ways off. I will experiment with lighting to see wat she likes best, and i will look at a red light. What do u think of those blue nighttime lizard lights? I use that on my Chinese water dragon and she is pretty happy, but will it bother my T?

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Snipes said:
Do you really think its a good idea that he should take it back? I dont think care in pet shops is exactly top notch and it might die waiting for an owner, and besides someone else might buy it that is just as ignorant as he was. I would feel a lot better finding someone experienced to take it so i can know it will be ok. If i can find someone im sure i can convince them to send it to a better home. I will talk to them about a scorpian, and i will make SURE that they research its need BEFORE getting it. As for my G rosea i am not going to change her tank becuase im sure Chile is much larger than a 10 gallon tank. If i get another Tarantuala (probably a B. smithi or B. albo) i will look into a smaller terrarium and i will check here to see wat they need, but that is a ways off. I will experiment with lighting to see wat she likes best, and i will look at a red light. What do u think of those blue nighttime lizard lights? I use that on my Chinese water dragon and she is pretty happy, but will it bother my T?

I think either way the Tarantula is screwed. Why not give it to some one who knows how to care for it?

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Snipes,I will do your friend a huge favor and let him mail me the tarantula.Of course he will have to pay shipping,but he will thank me later.Yeah thats it,just mail me the damn T and that will be the end of that.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CherishYour_f8 said:
Snipes,I will do your friend a huge favor and let him mail me the tarantula.Of course he will have to pay shipping,but he will thank me later.Yeah thats it,just mail me the damn T and that will be the end of that.
AHHH! U beat me to it! :}
This thread makes me want to get a scorpion!! :D
Its off to purchase another book.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
CherishYour_f8 said:
With as much as Snipe's friend knows about T's, do you really want him to pack it for shipping? He would probably just stick the thing in an envelope and hope for the best.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
With as much as Snipe's friend knows about T's, do you really want him to pack it for shipping? He would probably just stick the thing in an envelope and hope for the best.
Aww man, that isnt a happy thought. :eek:
Its best i pick it up in person. ;)

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cherish, thank you very much. On monday i will talk to him about it and i will try to convince him. Incidentally, how DO you pack a Tarantula? I have never done it so could you tell me what the best and safest way to do it? Dont worry, i will be the one to do it if he agrees.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, i live in Seattle, Wa in case someone lives there.

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I may be asking for trouble by posting this but...

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=16807

this link is a good start (I think) on how to pack a tarantula. That having been said I've never shipped a tarantula myself, only received them through the mail. But all the well-packed shipments seemed to use that system. I've also had an awfully packed shipment though too...

That is, if the owner does decide to ship it. I hope that the owner decides to allow the spider to go to a new home. I wouldn't suggest the spider going back to the pet store either though - that's just asking for a whole new set of trouble and stresses for the spider.

As for the rose hair - as long as it has a decent place to hide, even if it were in a 55 gal I would think it would be okay. In the wild they have to deal with wide open spaces, and daylight. Although mine seems happier in the smaller space I've given her. I would think that either the blue "moonlight" lighting or the red lighting would work better than a regular bright bulb though.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definitely use the method that CreepyCrawly suggested. That is the best method for packing. Also, if your friend does send it out, assume that the box will be mishandled, so pack it extremely well.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for all the advice creepycrawler. Hopefully soon the H. minax will be in a caring home. I will start using the nighttime lamp as well. You can barely see the light, but it keeps things nice and toasty for my chinese water dragon. speaking of my water dragon, i am really proud that i saved her. She was severely emaciated because her owner had fed her like once a week and only two or three mealworms. Here are some pics if i can figure out how to put them on. The first is from early october about a month after i got her from her owner (again a neglecting schoolmate) and the second is from 1/25/05. I know it doesnt really have to do with this board, but i am really proud how i got her from a lifeless stick to a robust active little girl.

Attachments

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful Dragon!

I am a HUGE fan of chinese green crested water dragons, and have always had them (they were my entrance to exotics). That is a beautiful MALE water dragon you've got there. No doubt that it's a male. Looks like the male I had years ago. Good job getting him from a skinny little twig to a beautiful well-rounded dragon! Mine always loved thawed pinky mice as treats, and sometimes little bits of chicken (high in protein, with some fat - easy to vitamin coat).

That pic is making me want to get another one! Males make better pets IMO).