What species do you feel need more propagation in North America?

Moebius

Arachnopeon
As the title says! This covers a lot of ground mind you.

We don't quite have the breadth of what Europe has to offer as reliably, with some exceptions that have been trail-blazed on this continent, and long-term hobbyists and breeders often notice the "dry spells" with species that tend to disappear like Bigfoot only to reappear years later, so it's nice to have a diverse set of folks giving their insights (including those who aren't in North America and have some perspective to offer).

So what could use propagation in your opinions? This includes everything from species that were around, but suffered from a lack of popularity and in turn less breeding attempts, those that came in limited numbers or later restrictions that dwindled available breeding stock, or those species that are simply criminally underrated in your opinions or otherwise overlooked in place of more common choices (Thrixopelma ockerti as compared to say, Aviculariinae and GBBs is one that comes to mind for me, not a lot of folks with interest it seems).

I know I've ran into instances where a species was sitting around lists for a while, caught my eye and then disappeared for prolonged periods afterwards making for something of a where's Waldo without EU imports of CB slings to fill in the gap, sometimes not even that being a possibility. Hell, knowing what folks overseas have struggled to find consistent CBs for isn't a bad thing, so please feel free to share!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
All species from Chile - Euathlus, Grammostola, Homoeomma, Phrixotrichus, Thrixopelma.

cold blood

Staff member
T. cyaneolum....heck, all Thrixopelma.

OBTs, other than the orange bob color.

Pamphs and Xenesthis....It would be nice not to be reliant on Europe for them.

A. bicoloratum and moderatum....We are in N. America, these cool Aphonopelma should be bred whenever possible, theyre way too scarce in the hobby.. Its ironic that most come back over from Europe.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
A. bicoloratum and moderatum
A. moderatum are a very, very, very slow growing Aphonopelma and it surpasses any other Aphonopelma IME, in terms of slow growth. I've had gotten 5 molts from one of mine and it's still under or close 1/4'' so I don't expect any breeding going on with this species until maybe 5 years max (If fed very well and warm temps) to reach maturity based on mature sizes being 4''.

Pampho's are something I'm actually working on right now, but the timing I had on the male threw me off for certain. My female P. petersi is a 7'' Mature female that molted earlier this month. Which my male was a close 5'' based on looking at him. I thought he would probably mature his next molt because pamphos have huge jumps in sizes every molt. Turns out he molted today and was not mature which was not what I was hoping for, so it threw me off breeding schedule. But he's leggier and bigger than I thought because his molt I had gotten today measured 5.6'' Now he's most likely pen-ultimate at a close 6'' or bigger and hopefully I can get him to molt into a MM in 4-5 months. It's totally possible in that time frame as I've done it before with my MM B. albo.

Megaphobema/all species in the genus.
I actually wanted to breed M. velvetosoma, but I couldn't afford it. A vendor I know bought a female from another vendor, but the female was smaller than his male as his male looked twice her size, which seemed to be at pen-ultimate. So not-so-lucky after all. I actually vent sexed the female for him too :rolleyes:.

Genus's or Species that need more CB in the US (My personal opinions) are:
Pampho's
Haplocosmia's
Some Aphonopelma's
Most Grammostola's
Xenesthis's
Sericopelma's (debatable for some people)
Agnostopelma (love the round abdomens they have) :D
Bistriopelma lamasi (I heard this species is in the US now, but I won't be buying one because of the high prices)
Euthycaelus's (I tried to buy a E. colonicus female for a low price, but I ran out of money :shifty:)

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
M.velvetosoma sling.
Ya,the money thing is a issue.But,i plan to retire at the end of the year,and blow my 401K on
rare and valuable T,s,and become rich dealing in T,s.
Im fairly certain this will workout well:bucktooth:.
Or not:grumpy:.

Attachments

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
NW's - Ami sp. Panama; Bonnetina chamela; Brachypelma - schroederi, kahlenbergi, klaasi; Ephebopus murinus; Homoeomma chilensis; Pamphobeteus sp mascara; Psalmopoeus victori; Pseudhapalopus sp.; Theraphosinae sp.; Thrixopelma ockerti

OW's - Coremiocnemis hoggi; Encyocratella olivacea; Haploclastus devamatha; Harpactira cafreriana; Lyrognathus giannisposatoi; Orphnaecus philippinus; Psednocnemis brachyramosa; Thrigmopoeus truculentus

Most of these are either rare in the US or expensive, usually both. Others are almost always wild-caught.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Bonnetina chamela
I have two mature females and one immature male. I also have an incubator. Hopefully, I will be successful with this species. They are gorgeous and there are definitely not enough of them around.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Well, in Canada I think there are *tons* of species that should be bred more; there are a lot of species that are coming in from Europe or the U.S. that should be here, period.

The Aphonopelma, Brachys and Grammastola species need to be more readily bred in Canada, as well as Pamphos and many, many others. If I need something to back up my opinion, try to find a sexed female B Emilia, or Smithi that's not imported in Canada. We are lucky to have the three major wonderful national vendors that we have, but we do not have the volume and availability found in other areas of the world, unfortunately.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have two mature females and one immature male. I also have an incubator. Hopefully, I will be successful with this species. They are gorgeous and there are definitely not enough of them around.
I have a 2 inch sling. It's already very pretty. Would be nice if they were cheaper and more people had them.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
Homeomma chilensis! Everybody should have one! Here in Canada I have a female that I think might be ready to breed after her next molt, and Martin at Tarantula Canada has expressed interest in breeding her when she's mature, so maybe there will be slings available in the next couple years.

Other than that, all the Pamphos. There is no such thing as too many Pamphos. It would also be neat to see some of the less common Brachys.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Hope this works out for you. I bought 3 slings a little while ago and while they weren't the most expensive species, they weren't cheap either.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Homeomma chilensis! Everybody should have one! Here in Canada I have a female that I think might be ready to breed after her next molt, and Martin at Tarantula Canada has expressed interest in breeding her when she's mature, so maybe there will be slings available in the next couple years.
I have two mature females and a very freshly moulted mature male. They are why I bought the incubator.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That's awesome! Do you plan on selling slings if you're successful?
Of course, but please don't count the spiderlings before they hatch. I bred both girls last year and was unsuccessful. That's why I bought the incubator.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
Of course, but please don't count the spiderlings before they hatch. I bred both girls last year and was unsuccessful. That's why I bought the incubator.
Ah that's too bad, hopefully the incubator makes a difference! If you have any interest in posting a breeding report it would be really neat to hear how it goes.