What species ? Also doesnt eat for 4 months!!!

Jayson09

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, any of you know what kind of species is this tarantula? And he is not eating for months. Been trying to feed but he keeps on refusing. roughly 4 months ago was his last meal and im afraid he'll die.
20190614_164956.jpg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
What do you mean? Mature male?
Males have a maturing, or ultimate, moult where they will develop the appendages required for reproduction. Those appendages, or emboli, are located on the pedipalps. Some species also develop tibial hooks on their first pair of legs to help them to secure the female in an upright position. In addition to specific anatomical changes, males will also become leggier and slimmer overall. In some species, they make dramatic colour changes as well. Sexual dimorphism is present at various levels depending on species. It is clear, by your photograph, that your male has developed the emboli on his pedipalps.
It is not common that males will attempt a post-ultimate moult, but it can happen. In order to ensure that your male lives as long as possible, please provide ample drinking opportunities. I always have two water dishes in with all my mature males. This species can last a long time as a mature male, but they are at the end of their lives. It is not uncommon for them to refuse food and water and lose the majority of the setae on their abdomens.
If you know someone who has a mature female, and who is familiar with the steps required to breed this species, you might want to sell/trade him.

cold blood

Staff member
Keep in mind though, rose hair isnt a species, there are several species known as rose hairs. I guess porteri with yours, but ive never had rosea or porteri MMs myself.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
It's a boy!!!
Make sure to keep him an available full water dish at all times -- I imagine water will be of more interest than food in his last days (well, weeks, months)... And, well, obviously a female would be of the MOST interest to him; but water comes in for a distant second in interest.... :wacky:

Jayson09

Arachnopeon
It's a boy!!!
Make sure to keep him an available full water dish at all times -- I imagine water will be of more interest than food in his last days (well, weeks, months)... And, well, obviously a female would be of the MOST interest to him; but water comes in for a distant second in interest.... :wacky:
Are you saying that he's gonna die soon?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Are you saying that he's gonna die soon?
No idea when it moulted -- but the sad truth is males exist to mate -- they don't enjoy the longevity of females.
Some males make it two years, some.... 2 months. For a grammy -- I'd (personally) expect a bit more male longevity, than with say, an OBT.

I don't diss on males --- they are what they are and deserve every bit of care as a female. Their lifespans are shortened following their MM moult is all.

Fwiw, yours is lovely -- love the long-legged maleness, boxer gloves and tiny butt. :wideyed:

[Feeling sort of lousy to break the news about male longevity -- I am so sorry but it doesn't detract one bit from you having a super cute T -- it's just, um, a life fact I figured you knew. :( It's also why I let the handling pix 'go' without comment. ]

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Grammostola porteri.

They are known for being able to fast for long periods of time, and typically the ones that can do that (species from arid regions) grow more slowly and are also more long-lived, including MMs. I can't give you an exact figure. Best guess 12-24 months after his last molt. I can't rule out even longer than 2 years, but I don't want to get your hopes up by setting that expectation. The best way to look at it: anything after a year is a bonus.

Last edited:

Jayson09

Arachnopeon
No idea when it moulted -- but the sad truth is males exist to mate -- they don't enjoy the longevity of females.
Some males make it two years, some.... 2 months. For a grammy -- I'd (personally) expect a bit more male longevity, than with say, an OBT.

I don't diss on males --- they are what they are and deserve every bit of care as a female. Their lifespans are shortened following their MM moult is all.

Fwiw, yours is lovely -- love the long-legged maleness, boxer gloves and tiny butt. :wideyed:

[Feeling sort of lousy to break the news about male longevity -- I am so sorry but it doesn't detract one bit from you having a super cute T -- it's just, um, a life fact I figured you knew. :( It's also why I let the handling pix 'go' without comment. ]
Its ok i understand. Atleast you have been honest. Dont you worry i knew he not goin to get his life longer. I still have 8 beautiful t's anyway.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They are known for being able to fast for long periods of time, and typically the ones that can do that (species from arid reasons) grow more slowly and are also more long-lived, including MMs. I can't give you an exact figure. Best guess 12-24 months after his last molt. I can't rule out even longer than 2 years, but I don't want to get your hopes up by setting that expectation.
I don't want to get his hopes up either but @Leila has one that's still going strong after 3+ years and I've heard of MM Rosies living for around 4 years or so after maturing.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Gotta say, I am regretful of any of new information re: MMs short-life. I am sorry for of any newbies surprises. :(

Tommydragon10

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, any of you know what kind of species is this tarantula? And he is not eating for months. Been trying to feed but he keeps on refusing. roughly 4 months ago was his last meal and im afraid he'll die.
View attachment 312745
looks like a Chilean Rose Hair. Its common for them to go on hunger strikes. I've seen you tubers who claim to have had theirs go on strikes for 6 months. It'll eat when it wants to.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
who claim to have had theirs go on strikes for 6 months.
6 months is for amateurs... I've had slings fast that long ;)

To the OP- How long have you had the spider? When was his last molt?