What should I put in here?

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
P everetti are very hard to find where I live, but if you have the opportunity to get one, go ahead!

As I like variety, I'd personnaly take a sp. I don't already have. If you stick on arboreals, why not try a Psalmopoeus? Or a Tapinochenius? Fast, beautiful, and no urticating hair!

Could be a great idea to try a more vertical setup for terrestrials heavy webbers. Let us know if you go down that road and post some pictures!

And I'm not sure H sp. Big black are the same as H minax.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

cold blood

Staff member
You have a glaring deficiency of Psalmopeous. May be NW, but no urticating hairs. Amazing genus that's without a bad choice. I'd get a P. cam for it if it were me:wink:

---------- Post added 08-29-2015 at 10:07 PM ----------

Big Black it the common name for H. minax;)

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P everetti are very hard to find where I live, but if you have the opportunity to get one, go ahead!

As I like variety, I'd personnaly take a sp. I don't already have. If you stick on arboreals, why not try a Psalmopoeus? Or a Tapinochenius? Fast, beautiful, and no urticating hair!

Could be a great idea to try a more vertical setup for terrestrials heavy webbers. Let us know if you go down that road and post some pictures!

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk
Ken the Bug Guy has an Everetti on his site that's tempting me, although I don't like to risk shipping when the weather here is so hot. It's definitely on my list, though.

I really appreciate the suggestions! I do like the sound of a Tapinauchinius. They give fast a whole new name. Gigas' are amazing spiders.
It's been a long time since I've worked with any. Same with Psalmos.
If I could find a Reduncus, Gigas, or Plumipes I'd be pretty happy. Those are all species hard to come by where I'm at.

That all said, I'm really gravitating towards an experimental tank with a primarily terrestrial webber. That just seems like it would be the most fun.

---------- Post added 08-29-2015 at 10:58 PM ----------

You have a glaring deficiency of Psalmopeous. May be NW, but no urticating hairs. Amazing genus that's without a bad choice. I'd get a P. cam for it if it were me:wink:

---------- Post added 08-29-2015 at 10:07 PM ----------

Big Black it the common name for H. minax;)
Haha, that is true. I am seriously lacking in Psalmos. The Cams are beautiful, though I've never had a Reduncus or Pulcher so I'd probably lean towards one of them first. I've had a few Cams and Irminias over the years, though I phased them out as I started focusing on OW.
With no hairs to bother me, there's no reason I shouldn't consider picking some back up. Is there a particular reason you prefer the Cams?

Good to know about Minax. I've heard a few conflicting reports.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I love the whole genus, cams are just incredible eaters and you just don't see many greenish t's....plus they're the largest and I though a good fit for the size...they're also out in the open pretty often for a Psalm, I really love the look of pulcher.....the others not in the hobby or really expensive are all really great looking, too....but I ignore t's at those prices until breedings bring prices into my universe.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love the whole genus, cams are just incredible eaters and you just don't see many greenish t's....plus they're the largest and I though a good fit for the size...they're also out in the open pretty often for a Psalm, I really love the look of pulcher.....the others not in the hobby or really expensive are all really great looking, too....but I ignore t's at those prices until breedings bring prices into my universe.
I appreciate the breakdown!
I can't argue that you're making them sound awfully tempting.

I'd for the most part started leaning towards an OBT, just to see how it would take to a strict arboreal enclosure.
I'm going to have to make a hard decision now.
Worst case, I'll get both and set up yet another tank. No harm in that, eh? :D

I completely agree about the various spiders with current astronomical price tags. They're just complicated to justify. Thankfully, the hobby has very dedicated breeders that make the few year wait to affordability somewhat easy.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not really enough cross-ventilation for an Avic.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
I disagree. I've kept Avics in such enclosures over the years, never had a problem. The vent below the door has about an inch high and nearly the width of the enclosure, and the top is of course completely ventilated.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Avicularia sp. Any tropical arboreal tarantula would be great!
Oh, neat! A fellow Coloradoan. Don't see any out here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not big fan of Avics, though I've started really considering either a Psalmo or Tapinauchinius.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 04:43 PM ----------

Not really enough cross-ventilation for an Avic.

I disagree. I've kept Avics in such enclosures over the years, never had a problem. The vent below the door has about an inch high and nearly the width of the enclosure, and the top is of course completely ventilated.
There is a good bit of ventilation with those enclosures, but in not sure I'd be comfortable calling it cross ventilation.
It's a little uni-directional with the vent on front. I wish they started making them with vents on the bottom that encirlced the sides as well.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I suggest you as well a Psalmopoeus cambridgei (but a trusted sexed female one, if you can, since that enclosure size is not for slings, obviously). Why Psalmopoeus cambridgei? Well, even if they are common than pulcher or reduncus.. wanna talk about their size?
They are arboreal beasts. I found them lovely. Good eaters. Not so high strung like irminia, more "gentle".

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I suggest you as well a Psalmopoeus cambridgei (but a trusted sexed female one, if you can, since that enclosure size is not for slings, obviously). Why Psalmopoeus cambridgei? Well, even if they are common than pulcher or reduncus.. wanna talk about their size?
They are arboreal beasts. I found them lovely. Good eaters. Not so high strung like irminia, more "gentle".
Calling them gentle is a big stretch. Maybe not as bad as P.irminia but can still be high-strung and defensive.
uploadfromtaptalk1441151563712.jpg

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, more votes for P. Cam.
Getting really hard to justify anything else going in the tank. :D

I wouldn't call them "gentle" either, but compared to an Irminia they're usually a bit less spastic.

Bob, that's a great picture! Thanks for sharing.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, narrowing my choices down to either a T. Gigas, or P. Cambrigei or Reduncus (depending on availability.)

Any last votes for P. Cam? ;)
I know a resounding majority of y'all love them.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I couldn't find any adult females on my last list, but I did get my hands on a subadult female E. Olivacea.
I'll try to get some pictures later tonight when she settles in a bit more.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alrighty!

Here she is.
Snug as a bug in a r... Tarantula in a tree. :D

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice! i was going through this post and was about to ask you how big your E. olivacea was because I was going to vote for that one to be in that enclosure,

lets see if she stays in the tree or burrows or webs around