What should i do ???

gdfelas

Arachnopeon
My new black widow arrived. Two egg sacks one hatched all slings are dead. Should i move the female with her remaining sack to a new home or should i just move the sack by its self and give the female and the sack its own seperate home. I just dont think i should leave them the way it is with all the dead ones. i do want the the slings...Thank for any suggestions.

Attachments

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would remove the sac and put it in a dry place. It will hatch out soon. The female will probably produce another one in due time if you start feeding it. I used to keep several widows when I was a kid and they are one of the easiest spiders to keep.

gdfelas

Arachnopeon
Thanks

What should i do with the new slings to care for them?

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
gdfelas said:
What should i do with the new slings to care for them?
Well, escapees are probably going to be your #1 concern. Try to make sure their container is as escape proof as possible, unless you don't mind having a widow turning up here and there around the house. I always kept mine in a communal setup. Separating that many tiny widows would be a nightmare. Give them a structure to build on, and you should have a nice communal web that you can drop freshly killed prey into. Separate when cannibalism becomes a serious problem, or they reach a manageable size. Raising widow s'lings is fairly easy.

Good luck!

Tim

gdfelas

Arachnopeon
what should i feed the slings ?? about how long till they hatch ?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
gdfelas said:
what should i feed the slings ?? about how long till they hatch ?
You can feed the slings pinhead crickets,flies,moths or about any small insect.
Best that I can remember, it takes about a month for the eggs hatch out.