1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do if I found a mite in one of my enclosures?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Ztesch, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    So today I was feeding / doing maintanace on my T's enclosure and in one of my slings enclosures I noticed 1 tiny white thing moving around in the sub. I didn't get a pic as it crawled into the sub. I'm pretty good about general maintenance in the enclosures but I have noticed that I may have a little bit of mold growing on my top soil /coco fiber mix. There are a few spots on the top soil that has dry white dots on them. I don't keep the sub overly damp its actually usually more on the dry side. The specific enclosure I had watered a little more as the sling was looking like it was going to molt soon. Anyways my question is should I just let the sub dry out or should I rehouse my sling?

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Ztesch

This isnt the specific enclosure but here are the white spots I'm talking about. Screenshot_2017-11-11-23-41-46.png

3. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoknight Active Member

One single mite walking around the enclosure and not on your T really shouldn't be an issue. It's likely just a scavenger mite feeding on the mold that's in the enclosures

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ztesch

Ok good.. How do they get in there in the first place?

5. WeightedAbyss75

WeightedAbyss75 Arachnoangel Active Member

They are literally everywhere in houses. With grain mites, eggs can even be found in grain cereals. They basically just wander into your cage in search of food. The problem is when you get hundreds or thousands built up and breeding in a tank. Then, they can bother or even attach directly to your T. However, having a tiny number of mites isn't bad at all. Thye can be clean up in your enclosure. So long as the numbers don't go out of control and none are crawling on the T, mites are pretty harmless IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoknight Active Member

As already stated, they can basically show up anywhere. But most mites are harmless. Pararsitic mites would be the main type of mite to worry about, but you'd probably only ever see them ON your tarantula, not wandering about the enclosure. And you'd likely only have parasitic mites if you had a wild-caught tarantula that already had them when you got them

Edit: I originally wrote "predatory" mite, but PARASITIC mites are actually the ones to worry about. My bad!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ztesch

All good man. Well thanks for the info, I'm 4 months into owning T's and this was the first incident of me seeing a mite in the enclosure so I just wanted to make sure everything was ok.

8. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnobaron Active Member

It's not a problem, if you start to notice more then drying out the enclosure should get rid of them, I'd only rehouse if they're swarming out of control.

The bloody things are literally everywhere, I almost never find them in my tarantula enclosures, they love livefood colonies though, I've noticed a few under the lid of my roach bin, a few crawling on the tub of supers I keep, I can't keep mealworms at room temps or the tubs end up absolutely plastered with the things (I'm not sure why they get the worst of it, I keep them on the same substrate as the supers but they hardly bother them).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Swoop

Swoop Arachnosquire Active Member

Texas
    Maybe the mealworms are killing the pupae which is attracting more scavenger mites? I try to pull the pupae out of the sub in mine when I can but still find a lot killed by the larvae. That's a lot of juicy dead bug to attract mites.

10. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnobaron Active Member

As far as I'd noticed it was only the beetles that ate the pupae (although I remove any pupae from my main population of larvae as I find them so they don't stay in there long enough to get eaten).

They generally don't go for my beetle tub which do have half-eaten pupae in sometimes, it's the tub that contains eggs and freshly-hatched larvae that they flock to like flies on a turd.

11. Ztesch

Ya ill just let the enclosure dry out a bit. I haven't seen anymore so it should be ok.

@cold blood whats so funny bro?

12. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Leave it to clean your cage.

Mites aren't the ultimate T killer like some think. They're more helpful than harmful.

Only a few are harmful.

13. Ztesch

Well that's good to know I'm not gonna lie I was kinda worried at first. The last thing I want is mites in my bedroom.

14. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

With the time you have been around I would have assumed you have read similar threads. Part of it was just playin' with ya as well:)

Go Pack!

15. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Arachnosupporter

Too late, your bedroom is probably already full of them. Dust mites, anyway. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Ztesch

Man you guys got lucky. The bears coaching staff is squarely to blame on that one. That's was the stupidest challenge I have ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

without rodgers, luck is all we have to rely on:(

• Sad Sad x 1
  18. Ztesch

You guys are fine. You at least have 5 more good years out of Rodgers.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1