1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Should I buy next?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by DexKing, Jul 7, 2018.

1. DexKing

DexKing Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi! First of all, I'm new to the hobby, and I have got my first two T's in April. Since then I ordered 3 more, so I now have the 5 T's:

-B.Vagans
    -B. Albopilosum
    -GBB
    -Nhandu Chromatus
    -Neo. Incei Het Gold

Before ordering my first T's I spent about 5 months searching averything about them and learning about the hobby, and they are doing just fine so I think that I'm doing a good job :D

So, I was thinking, what should I have next?

I'm thinking on a Caribena Versicolor (but I only find tiny slings 1/2cm), a G. Pulchripes, maybe a L.P... but I can't really decide.

Another thing that I was thinking about, was to keep another type of arachnides like a scorpion or a Damon diadema (Tailless whip scorpion).

I have a old aquarium that I think it could be a nice enclosure for a juvenile/sub-adult Heterometrus species for example. Do you guys think that I can use my old aquarium for a scorpion or should I just use another enclosure? (can post pics of the aquarium later).
    I would like to use it to make a good looking enclosure for some animal.

In resume, wath T's should I buy next and what could be a good animal for a display enclosure?

Sorry for the long post :shame:

2. mmcg

mmcg Arachnoknight Active Member

London
    Psalmopoeus cambridgei.

3. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

That's smart, more than most do in my experience. I would strongly suggest that you enjoy the Ts that you have for now, rather than collect them like Pez Dispensers. These are long lived animals. Two of yours, if female, may live beyond 20 years.

That aside, the short time that you have owned isn't nearly enough time to fully appreciate the range of behaviors, and husbandry issues one often encounters. Ts aren't going anywhere be patient.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DexKing

DexKing Arachnopeon

Yeah I know that they are long lived animals, but I doesn't hurt to have 2 more T's :happy:

Are they good for a begginer? I would like an arboreal T's but I know that they are faster.

5. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

I think Psalmopoeus cambridgei is a bit of a handful for a new keeper (especially when it comes time to rehouse a large juvenile or adult). Mine is now 5", and she is getting bolder with every molt. There have been several occasions where she attacked or grabbed my tongs or the water dish while I was doing maintenance. If I were a novice, that would be unnerving and would likely result in reflexive flinching or jerking that could injure the spider.

A juvenile Caribena versicolor or Avicularia avicularia would be a better first arboreal for a new keeper. Once you have some more experience raising your existing tarantulas (especially rehousings), a Psalmopoeus cambridgei sling is doable. (This species grows quickly, and your experience can grow with it.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Joldenra

Joldenra Arachnopeon

NC usa
    To be honest I really don't think you should get more, although you researched them for a while you should gain a little real experience with them. Overcoming a problem with them and learning from it is huge. So don't try to "catch them all" before u know the ones u have. At one point my spider never moved even during the night, the only reason he moved was to grab a bite. I realized the problem and fixed it now he walks corner to corner and climbs allot. Simple things like that is what makes owning them so fun. So pls just love the ones u have rather then collecting them faster then u can name them

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. AnimalNewbie

AnimalNewbie Arachnobaron

You name them???

8. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Na, they're an intermediate arboreal species (granted, mine was heinously easy to deal with because I basically never saw him until I sold him on to a breeder), I turned down loads as freebies when I started out as I didn't feel comfortable keeping a fast spider with moderately potent venom (they're not old world bad but a bite will ruin your day) as a noob.

If you want to get into arboreals then start with an Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora species, preferably a juvenile if you can find one (anything larger than slings can be hard to come by but slings are certainly do-able if you do your research on them) but this thread covers everything about their care Avicularia care.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoangel Active Member

USA
    i went from 0 to about 50 in 6 months so i won't say you shouldn't get more. That is for you to decide.

If you want to stick to easier species, would suggest searching here or youtube for begginer species. most of the lists are 80+ percent the same so just look up 3-5 and you should have plenty of options to look into.

If you want an arboreal, the C. versicolor is a beautiful sling, and readily available from many sources, though if like mine, it may be a spazz at times. They grow pretty quickly and are a joy to keep. Another readily available option would be the A. Avicularia. Not quite as colorful as the versi but same care. They are usually less expensive and you can probably find a Juvenile instead of only slings.

This seems a bit odd to me. I see het *insert morph/gene here* with snakes but not with tarantulas. Most people try to keep all the 'bloodlines' as pure as possible but saying it is Het for gold implies that the 'normal' and gold variations have been bred together? Do you know if this is the case?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018
  10. The Grym Reaper

You can get both from the same sac

11. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

[​IMG]

No seriously my vote goes to a vinegaroon. So different to a tarantula. They're absolutely phenomenonal little inverts. I have a Mastigoproctus giganteus called Clubber Lang.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Theneil

USA
    Regardless of the parents?

13. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    I believe so. I know that P. cancerides can have lots of color variation in the same sack so it makes sense to me that you could get both gold and olive from the same sack.

14. The Grym Reaper

I think so (I think the gene for the morph can skip a generation so if one of the parent's parents was a gold morph then blablablablah etc.)

15. Theneil

USA
    Interesting. Thank you!