1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I add to my collection?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by nirvannah, Dec 4, 2018.

1. nirvannah

nirvannah Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello guys! I am a fairly new tarantula keeper, although I am experienced in reptiles. I was wondering what should I add to my collection? I currently am a keeper of an Aphonopelma Chalcodes, a Davus Pentaloris, and an Avicularia Avicularia. I have noticed so far its a very addicting hobby! I would love to hear about some of your favorites, and do you guys prefer to buy slings over adults? arboreal or terrestrial? Etc!

2. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh Arachnosupporter

I'm noticing a lack of large NW terrestrials. I'd add a Phormictopus if you're looking: attitude, feeding response or a Pamphobeteus for: feeding response, growth rate, color.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. nirvannah

nirvannah Arachnopeon

I really like the Pamphobeteus species! BUT ill definitely look into the Phormictopus species as well! But ive also noticed a lot of NW terrestrials as well! I rarely see anything OW or arboreal.

4. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince

Texas
    I would hold off on the old worlds for a little while if I were you. Get a little more experience in the hobby before crossing that bridge so the learning curve isn't so steep. You can't go wrong with Phormictopus or Psalmopoeus either. I generally don't recommend Pamphos because they're more expensive, but if you're willing to shell out the cash then by all means go for it. The Aphonopelma and Brachypelma genera also some pretty striking tarantulas, but they're pretty slow growing.

5. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord Active Member

Ohio
    H. chilensis, H. orellani, G. pulchripes, P. platyomma, B. emilia, P. cancerides, B. albopilosum

All of the above are stunning. If you plan on getting Pamphobeteus sp. I recommend getting slings, same with B. albopilosum.

6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

A. geniculata or N. chromatus....

G. Pulchripes...

on the other end of the spectrum N. incei.....

if OW arboreal are something you want, start with Psalmopeous cambridgei or irminia.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

N. incei are awesome little spiders!

People love Chromatopelma cyanopubescens (GBB for short... one of the few Ts where using a "common" name is acceptable!)

Nhandu are great... I personally love tripepii.

Phormictopus cancerides and Lasiodora parahybana (LP for short) are great, too!

8. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Nhanduuuuuuu

• Like Like x 2
  9. SteveIDDQD

SteveIDDQD Arachnopeon Active Member

When I upgraded from new world tanks to something more advanced, I went for a P.irminia. So far it's not been a challenge at all as it's a pet hole, and when I do see it it's actually super chilled out.
    I'd look at an N. chromatus, it's high up my list for early next year.
    You could also go "big" and look for an decent size LP...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I hopelessly biased, but I am noting a distinct lack of Grammostola here and will happily add a (third?) recommendation for G pulchripes. Big, gentle, beautiful. Doesn't hurt that they're also usually pretty cheap (lol). As for the other question I think it's a really personal choice, but NW terrestrials seem to be a solid starting point for most people before they branch out into other specializations. Looks like you've already picked up a a happy fluffy arboreal though, nice!

Edit: sorry, left out a piece - wisdom given to me recently is that slings are more economical. Money aside, it's a matter of whether you want the big beautiful T now or if nurturing something to adulthood is more your style. I've done both.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  11. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

I personally enjoy a mix of slings/juveniles/adults. Right now my collection is mostly slings. As to terrestrial or arboreal, it's up to you. All the species/genera listed are all incredible and a joy to keep. If you want something with a great feeding response, A. geniculata or N. chromatus are excellent choices, and both tend to grow quickly. If you do delve into Psalmopoeus just remember that they can be tempermental, are rather quick, and can jump. Which, is awesome seeing by the way, but if you're not expecting it, it is most definitely a surprise! My P. cambridgei is probably my second feistiest t and is a hoot. When I first got it and was putting it into it's new enclosure, it ran around/jumped around my rehousing tub.

Grammastola are awesome too.

12. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Pics incoming

Acanthoscurria geniculata

Grammostola iheringi/pulchripes

Nhandu chromatus/coloratovillosus

Neoholothele incei

Pterinopelma sazimai

Dolichothele diamantinensis

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Psalmopoeus irminia/cambridgei/pulcher

Everyone needs at least one Brachypelma

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chuckmater

Chuckmater Arachnopeon

If you're looking for growth rate and appetite....

T. Stirmi, L. Difficilis, Lampropelma Borneo Black

14. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince

Texas
    Not really sure I'd recommend one of these to a new keeper, especially not one who hasn't kept any old worlds before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chuckmater

Chuckmater Arachnopeon

Good point....I don't know what I was thinking!! lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. Olan

Olan Arachnolord Old Timer

I say B. hamorii
    7A011996-6CF4-48F9-8BE9-F9410F9CCC25.jpeg
    97624928-C14D-41B7-8635-9662BBDEEA69.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. kaolincash

kaolincash Arachnopeon

my list is:
    • ACHERON: Aphonopelma seemanni [✓]
    • STYX: Ephebopus murinus []
    • LETHE: Eupalaestrus campestratus []
    • PHLEGETHON: Grammostola pulchripes []
    • COCYTUS: Nhandu chromatus []
    I'm building a "Skeleton Crew" of female Ts with skeleton leg patterns, each named after Greek underworld rivers. I'd recommend any on this list, as they're really interesting looking with a variety of dispositions. I currently have two A seemanni, one of whom is male and named Erebos after the Greek mountain, and they're both so different!! Acheron is far more skittish than Erebos, and has a smaller appetite, but, come to think of it, they're both pretty calm and not into kicking hairs, in my experience—so far—so I guess that's cool.

• Creative Creative x 1