What scorpion can live with no heat?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So...why don't you get a heat lamp/pad? Scorpions won't die at 70F they'll be much slower and grow much slower. And it might effect it's total life span.

Lizardman905

Arachnosquire
So...why don't you get a heat lamp/pad? Scorpions won't die at 70F they'll be much slower and grow much slower. And it might effect it's total life span.
I only have enough space for two more that need heat(probable a desert hairy and a flat rock) because I keep blowing my braker

---------- Post added 01-23-2013 at 01:10 PM ----------

And I what them to live at least 5-7 years.

---------- Post added 01-23-2013 at 01:14 PM ----------

Can I keep my h.spinifer with my emp?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you can't keep more then...don't. But get creative. I have a tub where I keep all my enclosures with a few heat pads to heat all of them at once. Using 3 5gallon heat pads I maintain both my humid and desert set up in there. Yes you can keep H. spinifer with P. imperator but watch out for innitial aggresivness. What are you currently using for heat to blow your breaker?

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could keep most euscorpius spp comfortably at those temps and probably a few of the Chilean species, especially if temps creeped up a few extra degrees during the warmer months.....also the lower temps usually slow the metabolism which would probably mean a longer overall lifespan.

Many other species could be kept at those temps but they wouldn't thrive and especially many desert species would likely have problems moulting.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
P. imperator and H. arizonensis can live in the 70s.

Last edited:

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I've got some C. hentzi that are kept at room temp like everything else I own. Heat makes molting a lot easier.

Went out looking last night and prolly found a dozen in the pines and it was in the upper 40s.

Lizardman905

Arachnosquire
If you can't keep more then...don't. But get creative. I have a tub where I keep all my enclosures with a few heat pads to heat all of them at once. Using 3 5gallon heat pads I maintain both my humid and desert set up in there. Yes you can keep H. spinifer with P. imperator but watch out for innitial aggresivness. What are you currently using for heat to blow your breaker?
Heat lamps, heat pads, UVB lights but I have a lot so it probable withstood more then the average house.

---------- Post added 01-23-2013 at 05:21 PM ----------

Thank I decided to get a b.jacksoni, a c.hentzi and a random euscorpius spp. And from what I under stand c.vit is now c.hentzi.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
...Yes you can keep H. spinifer with P. imperator but watch out for innitial aggresivness...
I would never risk such experiments. Every scorpion is cannibalistic. Some might live together with other scorpions of they same species but not with other species. Thats like you out a wild lion and tiger together in a cage.

Lizardman905

Arachnosquire
I figured it was the same with reptiles but I wouldn't put them together anyways, just curious.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would never risk such experiments. Every scorpion is cannibalistic. Some might live together with other scorpions of they same species but not with other species
I Disagree both these species are known for their non cannibalistic behavior. It's no more dangerous than putting two of the same specie together. I've always kept mine together with no cannibalism. I can't even say that about other so called communal species.
Thats like you out a wild lion and tiger together in a cage.
That's been done...ever hear of a liger?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would never risk such experiments. Every scorpion is cannibalistic. Some might live together with other scorpions of they same species but not with other species.
Risky though it may be, it has been done before with success.

Thats like you out a wild lion and tiger together in a cage.
Depending on their gender, you'll get a Liger. :D

EDIT: Sorry, Abyss beat me on both points.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
from what I under stand c.vit is now c.hentzi.
You are nothing but wrong. The major differences I know between the two is 1) Overall Size 2) The Telson

C. vittatus is native to the midwest/southwest and some of the east. Where as C. hentzi stops in southern GA and has been introduced a bit more northern in the south.

Two very distinct species.

I would never risk such experiments. Every scorpion is cannibalistic.
Here is a pic of two C hentzi adult females eating the same cricket to show you how communal they are. That cup has 1.3.0 that have been living together since Julyish. Also they are found very close to each other (Read: I was finding 2-5 on each pine tree and that is just what I could see.)
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i405/FLAmoeba/Scorpions/0117132152_zpsfd2c1220.jpg

Last edited:

Lizardman905

Arachnosquire
I Disagree both these species are known for their non cannibalistic behavior. It's no more dangerous than putting two of the same specie together. I've always kept mine together with no cannibalism. I can't even say that about other so called communal species.
That's been done...ever hear of a liger?
Still would you like to find a fat scorp with a half eaten dead one

---------- Post added 01-23-2013 at 07:27 PM ----------

You are nothing but wrong. The major differences I know between the two is 1) Overall Size 2) The Telson

C. vittatus is native to the midwest/southwest and some of the east. Where as C. hentzi stops in southern GA and has been introduced a bit more northern in the south.

Two very distinct species.

Here is a pic of two C hentzi adult females eating the same cricket to show you how communal they are. That cup has 1.3.0 that have been living together since Julyish. Also they are found very close to each other (Read: I was finding 2-5 on each pine tree and that is just what I could see.)
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i405/FLAmoeba/Scorpions/0117132152_zpsfd2c1220.jpg
Ok thanks but I have seen 2 Grammastola rosea's eat the same cricket.

CRBP742

Arachnosquire
You can house a male and female H. Spinifer and P. Imp together. Ive done this experiment myself and it was a success. Although they did not attempt to mate.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Still would you like to find a fat scorp with a half eaten dead one.
Why would I? What would make you think they would cannibalize? Others have already stated that they have housed both species with success.