What parasites can affect a trantula?

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
I have never personally encountered any parasites of insects that infested my tarantula's. Though I often hear stories of such thing happening. What are some of these called, does anyone have photo's for me to see, and what are the solutions to exterminating them without a fatality to the tarantula? Thank you for any information in advance! :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
we just had a member posting numerous new threads in Q n D(15), 90% of which should have been in T chat. dont be that guy. :)

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
Okay, sorry. Just joined yesterday learning this whole website.
Tarantula chat for questions?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Okay, sorry. Just joined yesterday learning this whole website.
Tarantula chat for questions?
this ones fine to me, but asking about experiences and opinions should be put in T chat. i think youre good so far, just a warning i suppose.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Including but not limited to nematodes, Parasitic mites, Phorid flies and theyre larvae etc that could harm a T. To prevent phorid flies and to keep mites from exploding in numbers its best to keep up routine tank maintenance of removing food boluses after meals or uneaten prey, occasionally cleaning fecal matter when it starts building and making sure you have good ventilation in your enclosure's as overly humid, stuffy cages encourages them to set up shop and reproduce.

Last edited:

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
Including but not limited to nematodes, Parasitic mites, Phorid flies and theyre larvae etc that could harm a T. With preventing phorid flies and keeping mites from exploding in numbers is to keep up routine tank maintenance of removing food boluses after meals or uneaten prey, occasionally cleaning fecal matter and making for you have good ventilation in your enclosure's as overly humid, stuffy cages encourages them to set up shop and reproduce.
Thank you! Sorry for all the questions, I haven't ever been able to pick the brains of anyone other than a friend. I have around three years of questions Im flooding out. I hate googling answers for tarantula care, Id prefer asking hobbyists withe experience.

kinglaz85

Arachnopeon
How about asking all you're questions in one threads? No need for multiple threads.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thank you! Sorry for all the questions, I haven't ever been able to pick the brains of anyone other than a friend. I have around three years of questions Im flooding out. I hate googling answers for tarantula care, Id prefer asking hobbyists withe experience.
What I've done in the past is google the type of evil critter. Then if I have to, I'll write it down - with real pen and paper. Then cruise the old threads on this site. Have fun.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
How about asking all you're questions in one threads? No need for multiple threads.
I kinda like to ask all my questions separately. Several times I have seen some questions get over looked or not answered as thoroughly as others when they were asked in the same thread. Mainly due to the conversation moving off after one question that the responders keep focusing on.

I don't mind multiple threads put out by one person as long as they are asking valid questions and not just posting fluff. Five posts about what is you fave T size/color/shape etc back to back is what I don't like seeing.

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
I kinda like to ask all my questions separately. Several times I have seen some questions get over looked or not answered as thoroughly as others when they were asked in the same thread. Mainly due to the conversation moving off after one question that the responders keep focusing on.

I don't mind multiple threads put out by one person as long as they are asking valid questions and not just posting fluff. Five posts about what is you fave T size/color/shape etc back to back is what I don't like seeing.
Okay, wasn't sure what was acceptable. I thought all questions were appropriate and only asked what I was truly questioning. I'll wait a bit longer to ask more questions though. I'm here to learn and hopefully help, not be a pain.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Okay, wasn't sure what was acceptable. I thought all questions were appropriate and only asked what I was truly questioning. I'll wait a bit longer to ask more questions though. I'm here to learn and hopefully help, not be a pain.
I wasn't referring to your posts at all. Don't worry about it and ask what you want to know. I like seeing people excited about the hobby and being active. I'll answer any questions that I can.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with what others have said; no problem with asking questions as that is how we learn. But maybe try to combine them so you're not posting so many new threads at once and flooding out other people's questions.

Also, welcome to the fascinating hobby of Tarantula keeping. I have one statement for you: You can never have only ONE!

Good luck friend! :p

Sana

Arachnoprince
We had a problem a while back with little white mites of some kind. I didn't stick any under the microscope or go nuts trying to ID them, I just wanted them gone. We had one tarantula that we didn't think would make it as they were all over her and she wouldn't/couldn't eat. Our approach with her was to remove her from the enclosure into a temporary container with nothing but a paper towel with a few drops of water on it. We got rid of everything that was in the enclosure and cleaned the enclosure itself with everything short of holy fire. Over the course of a week in the completely dry ICU container we watched the mites fall off of her and die. The pests that I have had problems with can't survive outside of a humid environment. The rest of the effected enclosures had water dishes removed and were dried completely over that same time span. We also got some predatory mites (H. miles) that we put in all of our enclosures to eat the evil mites without effecting the tarantulas. We didn't have a single loss from that whole mess.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
Most people are pretty tolerant if you search the forums for an answer before asking a question, in case it's one of those that has been answered before. Otherwise ask away! The forums are here to discuss and learn. Welcome. :D

No exp with parasites and I don't know much about them in Ts. I haven't been in the hobby long. I'm sure you'll get some good answers though.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't worry too much about parasites. A rule is, never offer a WC prey (crickets, etc) to your eight legged. Keep the substrate based on your Theraphosidae needs, and with a good maintenance/cleaning, and proper ventilation, you will not end up with mites.
I've never had one issue since 1992 by that.

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
I agree with what others have said; no problem with asking questions as that is how we learn. But maybe try to combine them so you're not posting so many new threads at once and flooding out other people's questions.

Also, welcome to the fascinating hobby of Tarantula keeping. I have one statement for you: You can never have only ONE!

Good luck friend! :p
I had over thirty at one point. All different species. I'll always be addicted, just never got to add this page due to horror stories. Lol