What other species should I add to my collection?

ChrisB1

Arachnopeon
I've been on a tear lately buying Tarantula's. My wife surprised me with a Curlyhair from Petco 3 months ago to get me a bit more comfortable with spiders, and since then we've added a huge number more to our collection. We've had some failures, some learning curves, but overall we've been having a blast. We have the following slings:

1x Acanthoscurria Ferina
1x Acanthoscurria sp Maldonadoensis
2x Brachypelma Hamorii
1x Brachypelma Vagans
1x Bumba Cabocla
1x Caribena Versicolor
2x Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens
3x Grammostola Pulchripes
2x Grammostola Pulchra
1x Haplocosmia Himalayana
1x Hysterocrates Gigas
2x Kochiana Brunnipes
2x Lasiodora Parahybana
1x Nhandu Chromatus
1x Nhandu Coloratovillosus
1x Nhandu sp Red
1x Pamphobeteus Antinous
1x Phormictopus Auratus
1x Psalmopoeus Cambridgei
1x Pterinopelma Sazimai

In the process though we have lost:

1x Nhandu Chromatus - (A cricket ate him during molt - so now we try to clear out the crickets after a time if they don't eat them - or - we pre-kill the crickets).
1x Homeomma sp Blue - Died on Arrival
1x Nhandu Tripeppi - Died on Arrival

One that I think we are about to lose - if we haven't already.
1x Theraphosa Blondi - (This was an expensive lesson in understanding and learning about Tarantula ICU's. This was a $200+ sling, and I believe it had a puncture on its abdomen - I learned about the Tarantula ICU too late though, we moved it over to the ICU and it was still moving but this morning it's completely motionless).

We really want a few old worlds to finalize the collection, and we really would like to get another Theraphosa Blondi.

Are there any species, Old World or New World that you would recommend to us? Or are we overstepping and should slam on the brakes?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, for me when a Theraphosidae arrive on pure 'DOA' (btw as a note, never happened to me, but I rarely buy online) in general isn't the purchaser fault, so I wouldn't count those two T's you've lost as 'failures'.

Let me point out, also, that (according to your list above) you already jumped into OW's, since there's written H.gigas and H.himalayana :bookworm:

Anyway, have a look at Ephebopus spp. (IMO amazing) and Megaphobema robustum (that black/orange) for NW's.

As for an OW suggestion, well Ceratogyrus spp. but basically every 'baboon' one - just stay away from the arboreal ones for now, mark my words, mark my words :rolleyes:

ChrisB1

Arachnopeon
Well, for me when a Theraphosidae arrive on pure 'DOA' (btw as a note, never happened to me, but I rarely buy online) in general isn't the purchaser fault, so I wouldn't count those two T's you've lost as 'failures'.

Let me point out, also, that (according to your list above) you already jumped into OW's, since there's written H.gigas and H.himalayana :bookworm:

Anyway, have a look at Ephebopus spp. (IMO amazing) and Megaphobema robustum (that black/orange) for NW's.

As for an OW suggestion, well Ceratogyrus spp. but basically every 'baboon' one - just stay away from the arboreal ones for now, mark my words, mark my words :rolleyes:
Thanks for the reply! This is true we have jumped into OW's but not by choice! Both were freebies from the breeder we purchased from. They are tiny at the moment so we are rolling with them - the himalayana has built a webbed nest under a piece of cork bark and has an amazing feeding response which is a huge part of why I want to jump further into OW's - except this time of my own choosing - not from freebies! The gigas is a pet hole. :(

Where do you usually buy? I have had a great experience so far with the one website I've been using, but am always open to other options to try.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks for the reply! This is true we have jumped into OW's but not by choice! Both were freebies from the breeder we purchased from. They are tiny at the moment so we are rolling with them - the himalayana has built a webbed nest under a piece of cork bark and has an amazing feeding response which is a huge part of why I want to jump further into OW's - except this time of my own choosing - not from freebies! The gigas is a pet hole. :(
Well, they are slings, and - while under a different context still a 'double edged weapon' - this detail will give you a bit of extra time for gain more experience, if nothing. Let's view the half full part of the glass :lock:

Yes, Hysterocrates spp. are 'pet holes': they need to be 'pet holes'. Majority of OW T's actually, are :angelic:

Where do you usually buy?
In general from other northern Italian breeders :playful:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The husbandry for T. blondi is difficult, even for long-time veterans of the hobby. Not something a beginner should be anywhere near, in my opinion.

So, your first T was a B. albopilosum 3 months ago, and you already have 27 Ts, including some OWs?

This may not be what you want to hear, but IMO, you're in over your head already for someone at 3 months. You have slings, and no experience with adults. I would not get any more Ts until you get more experience with all aspects of husbandry, behavior, rehousing, etc. I would not under any circumstances get any more OWs until you are more experienced, for your sake and for theirs.

ChrisB1

Arachnopeon
The husbandry for T. blondi is difficult, even for long-time veterans of the hobby. Not something a beginner should be anywhere near, in my opinion.

So, your first T was a B. albopilosum 3 months ago, and you already have 27 Ts, including some OWs?

In my opinion, you're in over your head already for someone at 3 months. You have slings, and no experience with adults. I would not get any more Ts until you get more experience with all aspects of husbandry, behavior, rehousing, etc. I would not under any circumstances get any more OWs until you are more experienced, for your sake and for theirs.
Yeah, I was thinking more the same, that we probably went a bit overboard. We do have the housing situated for them though! We ended up buying about 20 sling enclosures and 4 terrestrial juvenile enclosures and 2 arboreal juvenile enclosures from Jamie's Tarantulas, as well as 2 of her adult enclosures. We also bought 5 Nano Wide's (8x8x8) and 2 Nano Tall (8x8x12) Exo-Terras. With the goal of buying a couple of the Exo Terra Mini's (12x12x12) this week for when we need to rehouse in the far-ish future. I understand it will be a while before we actually need them, but I'd rather have them on hand. We also had to buy 16 and 24oz deli cups.

A bit more info though, so the B. albopilosum is an adult but that's our only adult. I'm definitely not experienced in any way - my wife growing up - pre-college - always had tarantulas, and has been bit, dealt with urticating hairs, etc. She'd usually buy adults from the expo; unfortunately, for that reason slings are brand new to both of us.

I'm happy to wait and see how successful we are with our current amount, and hope for the best, but I thought I'd at least ask the question in case I was overthinking things on whether we over boarded it all.

That's good to know about T. blondi's - I will have to make sure we don't go down that avenue again for a while. Thanks for your response!

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, 3 months in and you have that list....you absolutely dont need to be getting more...IMO you have too many right now.

What was the thing you learned about an ICU? I hope it was their worthlessness.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, I was thinking more the same, that we probably went a bit overboard. We do have the housing situated for them though! We ended up buying about 20 sling enclosures and 4 terrestrial juvenile enclosures and 2 arboreal juvenile enclosures from Jamie's Tarantulas, as well as 2 of her adult enclosures. We also bought 5 Nano Wide's (8x8x8) and 2 Nano Tall (8x8x12) Exo-Terras. With the goal of buying a couple of the Exo Terra Mini's (12x12x12) this week for when we need to rehouse in the far-ish future. I understand it will be a while before we actually need them, but I'd rather have them on hand. We also had to buy 16 and 24oz deli cups.

A bit more info though, so the B. albopilosum is an adult but that's our only adult. I'm definitely not experienced in any way - my wife growing up - pre-college - always had tarantulas, and has been bit, dealt with urticating hairs, etc. She'd usually buy adults from the expo; unfortunately, for that reason slings are brand new to both of us.

I'm happy to wait and see how successful we are with our current amount, and hope for the best, but I thought I'd at least ask the question in case I was overthinking things on whether we over boarded it all.

That's good to know about T. blondi's - I will have to make sure we don't go down that avenue again for a while. Thanks for your response!
It's good that you found your way here. This is the place with the best information. Care sheets are usually terrible. Youtube videos are a mixed bag. Pet store employees are mostly terrible, although every now and then you'll find someone knowledgeable. Ask questions if you can't find the answers in existing threads, and people will help you.

ChrisB1

Arachnopeon
It's good that you found your way here. This is the place with the best information. Care sheets are usually terrible. Youtube videos are a mixed bag. Pet store employees are mostly terrible, although every now and then you'll find someone knowledgeable. Ask questions if you can't find the answers in existing threads, and people will help you.
Definitely, thank you. I appreciate the responses so far. I was hoping people would tell me I'm nuts for going from 1 to 27 more in 3 months. I felt it internally but needed to hear it from elsewhere. Even still, they at least did it nicely - or so far I've read it nicely? Either way, we know now to not buy anymore for a while, and if I fail with any of them - not to re-buy! :)

We've been using Tom Moran's husbandry videos for guidance on most of ours.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Tom is among the best on youtube, probably due to his teaching background that carries over a lot in his videos. He also has a podcast that is pretty good (although he can ramble a little.)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I would definitely wait. At 3 months I only had 3 tarantulas and that was back in 12/2014. I didn't get to 27 until last year. Get more experience with what you already have.

Zymotic

Arachnopeon
Here are a few of the more popular species:
Harpactira pulchripes
Ephebopus cyanognathus
Idothele mira
Neoholothele ineci
Davus pentaloris
Pterinochilus murinus
Hapalopus sp. Columbia
Monocentropus balfouri
Dolichothele diamantinensis

You may want to consider waiting a while before you expand your collection any further. This way you'll know how much time you need to invest, how much space you need, and what the overall expense will be to keep all these tarantulas into adulthood. If money and time isn't an issue then splurge out.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'm all for new hobbyists getting excited for the hobby, but buying so many in such a short period of time is irresponsible and honestly just dumb.

Stick to what you got. You have more than you probably should currently. :meh:

Minty

@londontarantulas
Slam on those brakes, slam on them hard. Keep learning with what you’ve got, but it sounds like you’re at risk of overwhelming yourself.

ChrisB1

Arachnopeon
If money and time isn't an issue then splurge out.
That's a big part of why we went from 1 to 27 so quickly. I've got your list saved but will be holding off on buying anymore. Like I mentioned, my gut said we were going overboard - and now with everybody else chiming in with a similar thought - I will wait. :)

Slam on those brakes, slam on them hard. Keep learning with what you’ve got, but it sounds like you’re at risk of overwhelming yourself.
Got it, loud and clear! :) I think we will hold off on anything else. People so far have been pretty nice with us going overboard - and we've already started reading a whole bunch of threads on various issues/topics. Either way, I hope we can keep what we have alive and well.

Minty

@londontarantulas
That's a big part of why we went from 1 to 27 so quickly. I've got your list saved but will be holding off on buying anymore. Like I mentioned, my gut said we were going overboard - and now with everybody else chiming in with a similar thought - I will wait. :)

Got it, loud and clear! :) I think we will hold off on anything else. People so far have been pretty nice with us going overboard - and we've already started reading a whole bunch of threads on various issues/topics. Either way, I hope we can keep what we have alive and well.
Good luck. You’ve already got a great number of tarantulas in your collection and some great species. You’ll learn a lot with what you’ve got.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can see why you had some deaths.

You have plenty already, I'm not sure why people collect exotic animals like Skittles when they barely know what they are doing.

I would not get anymore if I was you. Wait until they grow, rehouse them etc etc.

People amass collections of "animals", then a year later find out their "interest" was not long term, and the animals may suffer as a result.

ChrisB1

Arachnopeon
People amass collections of "animals", then a year later find out their "interest" was not long term, and the animals may suffer as a result.
Hopefully this isn't the case with us, especially with the amount we spent. It certainly hasn't been the case with our reptiles so I don't anticipate it being the case with the T's. We still have a couple of grow out enclosures to buy this weekend but that should be our final purchases.

when they barely know what they are doing.
Accurate.