What one tip would you pass on to new T keepers that you almost never hear about here?

Magenta

Arachnosquire
I would say to just leave them alone. Tarantulas don't want to play or cuddle. Aside from general maintenance, watering, feeding and whatnot, just leave them be.

I've only been keeping Ts for a few years, so I don't know how much weight my advice will have..

Timc

Arachnosquire
It's such an alien concept coming from a human/mammal perspective. A creature that rarely moves except to hunt or build/maintain a den, can possess reflexes and speed that surpass the eyes ability to register. It's really unbelievable...
Unbelievable is a great word for that speed. Even better are a the unpostable words I actually said when it happened!

cold blood

Staff member
Dont overlook common species and dont assume you instantly know which ts you will and will not like....often the overlooked ones become favorites or coveted ones just dont turn out to be so cool.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Don't expose them to radiation. It NEVER ends well. Okay, there was that one guy who was bitten by one and it turned out pretty decent for him, but other than that...

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Dont overlook common species and dont assume you instantly know which ts you will and will not like....often the overlooked ones become favorites or coveted ones just dont turn out to be so cool.
As a corollary, don't overlook the ones that lack bright coloring; interesting behavior can more than make up for pretty colors.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Not really a tip, but something to think about. Just because you have enough room for X number of sling enclosures does not mean you have enough room for X number of adult enclosures a couple years down the road.

I have very limited space and I've stopped myself from buying slings before once I thought about it because I don't want to have to give any up once they grow up. I try to make my purchases count!

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Most people will say that handling tarantulas is bad for them and for you. I agree, but if you are going to move into crazy fast spiders you should try it at least once, so you know how it is to have tarantula on you, and don't freak out when Psalmopoeus or something more dangerous teleports on your arm ;)

edit,
Now i see that gypsy cola had written same tip.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
My first tarantula was a P.murinus. Never had any issues. If you can chew bubble gum and walk at the same time you can keep ANY specie of tarantula.
heres my tip to beginners....ignore this type of advice...working your way up slowly is far more advantageous for both keeper and t.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Just because a way of keeping Ts works for you doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. Inversely, just because people do not keep their Ts like you doesn't mean their Ts wont thrive. Most T keeping is the basic stuff with a lot of personal preferences added in.

Five keepers, following the same path in keeping, will likely have 5 different experiences, and react differently to them.

Timc

Arachnosquire
P. Murinus was my first tarantula also, I would not recommend that as a first to anyone.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
This isn't on care for Ts, but on buying them. Don't be afraid to ask if they can work with you on the price a little. If you buy online, you can always email them with questions about a specific T and ask for photos of it as well. The photos on the sites are not of the T you are specifically buying, if they even have photos at all.

When I say questions, I don't mean ask for a laundry list of care requirements.

I have only purchased one T so far. I got photos of it, a little information on it (this particular one he said was skittish, prone to flicking hairs), and a reduced price.

Last edited:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Observe. How a T navigates their enclosure and where they decide to web up/spend the majority of their time can tell you a TON about your husbandry.

audi

Arachnopeon
Make sure you wear proper clothing...which I have learned the hard way. Etc. This is mostly basic common sense to us but, someone new this is an entire different story.
As a newbie, could you elaborate: what's the proper clothing and why?

cold blood

Staff member
whatever you want. long as your hands are mobile and have you protection on your most important parts.
Baggy shirts are bad news as a sleeve or the bottom of the shirts like to catch on smaller enclosures and send them crashing to the ground.