What makes you the most nervous

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I’d love a colony of turks, though. :(
They're great plus they basically pay for themselves, I've just had to put a bunch up for sale due to the recent heatwave in the UK causing a population explosion.

If it helps I've ordered a lot of inverts and have had only a few freebie sling DOA's. As long as they're packed well and nothing crazy happens during shipping they will be fine.
This, I've only had one DOA in over 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Honestly i don't get nervous anymore, especially since i have a method for rehousing fast specimens, while at the same time eliminating escapes.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I only get nervous when I go buy a bag of crickets to feed my tarantulas instead of my dubias and know it's litteraly going to smell like crap when I open the bag to dump into enclosures and I will probably dry heave. I hate crickets but I get a better feeding response with the crickets.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Ants. Never had an invasion but the thought of millions of ants devouring my Ts.... (shudder)
Hopefully ants are an unlikely scenario.
Sugar ants infest our house. I used to see them crawling in my T's enclosure but I don't anymore after using petroleum jelly on the enclosure. Just put a thick couple inches of the jelly around the bottom of the enclosure, reapply it once a month, and that should take care of the problem;).

What I'm worried about is probably mold since it's not good to breathe that stuff. I keep my T's enclosure bone dry though so not a ton of trouble.

Last edited:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
As a T keeper what thing makes you the most nervous? For me it's when a fast sling or Juvie tries to bolt on me. I worry about crushing them or losing them. Or in the case of sturdy old worlds. Forget about them for a while and Discover them crawling on me in the middle of the night as a 4-5 inch T some time down the line. Hasn't happened to me yet but I'm not looking forward to it if it does
Man it's not a t but matnence in an assassin bug enclosure really gets my heart pounding

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Man it's not a t but matnence in an assassin bug enclosure really gets my heart pounding
Kids, don't try this at home but pretty darn recently I found these little critters in our yard and handled them for a few minutes till I could get them in a jar to ID. Turned out they were assassin bugs. Knew they were great for the garden so was excited but I freaked a little when I read how they catch their prey and that they sometimes do the same to people that annoy them:anxious:.

Last edited:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I'm pretty sure that's just in South America, but don't quote me.
Is it true that they spread Chagas disease?
The CDC website was pretty helpful in this case. Chagas disease is spread through the feces of a parasite that is carried by an insect. The only way the insect can get that parasite is by biting an infected animal or person and the only way you could get it is if that insect bit you too. There are a few cases in the U.S. but the disease is most common in rural areas of Central and South America, so the chances of you getting it somewhere in the U.S. are actually pretty low. I'll drop the link to the CDC website if anyone wants to read more.
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/chagas/gen_info/detailed.html

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
My worst fear would be them escaping when I'm not looking. I made the mistake of putting my 1" C. Versicolor in an enclosure with decent sized holes in the vent. I thought they were too small, but turns out I was wrong! I've not found him to this day. Lesson learned!

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
I don’t usually get nervous around my Ts, but I will always get the cold sweats and clammy hands whenever I have to open my C. Vonwirthis tank, she is fast and she is mean and lord oh my is she ever unforgiving. I am very cautious and attentive when I do anything with her

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
idk but dont want to chance it
This v
The CDC website was pretty helpful in this case. Chagas disease is spread through the feces of a parasite that is carried by an insect. The only way the insect can get that parasite is by biting an infected animal or person and the only way you could get it is if that insect bit you too. There are a few cases in the U.S. but the disease is most common in rural areas of Central and South America, so the chances of you getting it somewhere in the U.S. are actually pretty low. I'll drop the link to the CDC website if anyone wants to read more.
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/chagas/gen_info/detailed.html

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Kids, don't try this at home but pretty darn recently I found these little critters in our yard and handled them for a few minutes till I could get them in a jar to ID. Turned out they were assassin bugs. Knew they were great for the garden so was excited but I freaked a little when I read how they catch their prey and that they sometimes do the same to people that annoy them:anxious:.
I found a Zelus luridus nymph last week while looking around a tree, and all I could do was curse and panic when it made it's way out of the deli cup it was in and disappeared. I found it on my hand, but thankfully it didn't think to stab me :anxious:

Aside from that, not too much that I can think off makes me nervous in the hobby. But I refuse to own any OWs or certain intermediate NWs until my rabbits and Ts are no longer sharing a room, so maybe I'll have something to contribute in the future.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man yall, I LOVE my Assassin bugs! Lol. Though it must have been entertaining watching me try to transport one outside of a restaurant on a plastic cup lid that it didn't want to stay on but I didn't want it on my hands either!

The thing that made me really nervous recently was watering my hoard of P. murinus juvies because I had to open their 4" deli cups to do so. And yes, I had escapees... all recaught, thankfully, and most immediately! Though there was one...

*on the phone*
My flatmate: Are you missing a spider?
Me: Is it orange and -
Flatmate: - huge and on my bedroom wall? Yup.

Of course, "huge" to a non-spider person is 1.5"... but that little guy is safely back in his cup, too.

And now I have stabbed holes into the lids of their delis so I can drip in water without having to open them! Whew!

The thing I am constantly nervous about is contamination. I wash my hands and ensure none of my tools that touch/interact with arachnids/inverts touch anything else. I have, thankfully, not had any incidents.