1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes you the most nervous

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by AquasFloraAndFauna, Aug 5, 2018.

1. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    They're great plus they basically pay for themselves, I've just had to put a bunch up for sale due to the recent heatwave in the UK causing a population explosion.

This, I've only had one DOA in over 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
  2. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster Arachnosupporter

Cept for that shy one with an eating disorder that I got from you! :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    Honestly i don't get nervous anymore, especially since i have a method for rehousing fast specimens, while at the same time eliminating escapes.

4. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnosquire

I only get nervous when I go buy a bag of crickets to feed my tarantulas instead of my dubias and know it's litteraly going to smell like crap when I open the bag to dump into enclosures and I will probably dry heave. I hate crickets but I get a better feeding response with the crickets.

5. I luckily don't have to worry about this problem but I'd hate for this to happen to me or even just see it happen.

6. WildSpider

WildSpider Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    Sugar ants infest our house. I used to see them crawling in my T's enclosure but I don't anymore after using petroleum jelly on the enclosure. Just put a thick couple inches of the jelly around the bottom of the enclosure, reapply it once a month, and that should take care of the problem;).

What I'm worried about is probably mold since it's not good to breathe that stuff. I keep my T's enclosure bone dry though so not a ton of trouble.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron

Man it's not a t but matnence in an assassin bug enclosure really gets my heart pounding

8. WildSpider

USA
    Kids, don't try this at home but pretty darn recently I found these little critters in our yard and handled them for a few minutes till I could get them in a jar to ID. Turned out they were assassin bugs. Knew they were great for the garden so was excited but I freaked a little when I read how they catch their prey and that they sometimes do the same to people that annoy them:nailbiting:.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. I wonder how getting stuck by one of those guys would feel

10. WildSpider

USA
    A guy on YouTube did it to himself on purpose to report how it felt. He recommended not trying it.

11. MintyWood826

MintyWood826 Arachnoknight Active Member

Is it true that they spread Chagas disease?

12. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoknight Active Member

I'm pretty sure that's just in South America, but don't quote me.

13. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoangel Active Member

Texas
    The CDC website was pretty helpful in this case. Chagas disease is spread through the feces of a parasite that is carried by an insect. The only way the insect can get that parasite is by biting an infected animal or person and the only way you could get it is if that insect bit you too. There are a few cases in the U.S. but the disease is most common in rural areas of Central and South America, so the chances of you getting it somewhere in the U.S. are actually pretty low. I'll drop the link to the CDC website if anyone wants to read more.
    https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/chagas/gen_info/detailed.html

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. beccadarling

beccadarling Arachnopeon

USA
    My worst fear would be them escaping when I'm not looking. I made the mistake of putting my 1" C. Versicolor in an enclosure with decent sized holes in the vent. I thought they were too small, but turns out I was wrong! I've not found him to this day. Lesson learned!

• Sad Sad x 3
  15. Esherman81

Esherman81 Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    When my jumping spiders try too jump from my hands lol

16. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

I don’t usually get nervous around my Ts, but I will always get the cold sweats and clammy hands whenever I have to open my C. Vonwirthis tank, she is fast and she is mean and lord oh my is she ever unforgiving. I am very cautious and attentive when I do anything with her

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron

idk but dont want to chance it

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MintyWood826

MintyWood826 Arachnoknight Active Member

This v

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnodemon Arachnosupporter

I found a Zelus luridus nymph last week while looking around a tree, and all I could do was curse and panic when it made it's way out of the deli cup it was in and disappeared. I found it on my hand, but thankfully it didn't think to stab me :nailbiting:

Aside from that, not too much that I can think off makes me nervous in the hobby. But I refuse to own any OWs or certain intermediate NWs until my rabbits and Ts are no longer sharing a room, so maybe I'll have something to contribute in the future.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

Man yall, I LOVE my Assassin bugs! Lol. Though it must have been entertaining watching me try to transport one outside of a restaurant on a plastic cup lid that it didn't want to stay on but I didn't want it on my hands either!

The thing that made me really nervous recently was watering my hoard of P. murinus juvies because I had to open their 4" deli cups to do so. And yes, I had escapees... all recaught, thankfully, and most immediately! Though there was one...

*on the phone*
    My flatmate: Are you missing a spider?
    Me: Is it orange and -
    Flatmate: - huge and on my bedroom wall? Yup.

Of course, "huge" to a non-spider person is 1.5"... but that little guy is safely back in his cup, too.

And now I have stabbed holes into the lids of their delis so I can drip in water without having to open them! Whew!

The thing I am constantly nervous about is contamination. I wash my hands and ensure none of my tools that touch/interact with arachnids/inverts touch anything else. I have, thankfully, not had any incidents.

• Like Like x 2