What makes you the most nervous

Bree24

Arachnosquire
1/4” slings make me nervous. So tiny. So fragile. I have terrible eyesight, and no word of a lie I have a hard time telling whether or not she’s eaten with that tiny body of hers.

I should probably spring for a fruit fly colony rather than giving her bits of pre-kill that she can’t finish, but I can’t justify spending $15 on a colony for just one sling. :shifty:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
When I see one of my tarantulas flip ready to moult. I much prefer to find them done and dusted so I don't worry.

Seeing a tarantula moult for me = squeaky bum time.
Same here. I've had quite a few molts and still nags at me, The ones who just toss the molt out of their hide like they're saying "here, I'm all done with this" are the best. The worst is when they do it right at the front of the enclosure. My G. pulchra (one of my favorites) did this and had two legs folded under her for awhile. Logically I knew this was no big deal, but I was still thinking "oh God no, she's going into a death curl". That was a month ago and of course she's fine.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Same here. I've had quite a few molts and still nags at me, The ones who just toss the molt out of their hide like they're saying "here, I'm all done with this" are the best. The worst is when they do it right at the front of the enclosure. My G. pulchra (one of my favorites) did this and had two legs folded under her for awhile. Logically I knew this was no big deal, but I was still thinking "oh God no, she's going into a death curl". That was a month ago and of course she's fine.
I've had loads of moults over the 20 or so years for keeping tarantulas but they still get to me. After this long it's never going to go away.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I should probably spring for a fruit fly colony rather than giving her bits of pre-kill that she can’t finish, but I can’t justify spending $15 on a colony for just one sling. :shifty:
Fruit flies are nutritionally deficient. You are better off feeding your sling pre killed crickets or cut up mealworms. It will grow faster and just be all around healthier. You will also save yourself the trouble of working with fruit flies, which will raise your blood pressure a few points.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Definitely pesticides for me. My city regularly sprays for mosquitoes with trucks but doesn't disclose the routes or when they're doing it. I just keep my windows shut in the summer and yell at people to close the doors quickly then hope for the best.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Ants. Never had an invasion but the thought of millions of ants devouring my Ts.... (shudder)
Hopefully ants are an unlikely scenario.

aphono

Arachnobaron
1/4” slings make me nervous. So tiny. So fragile. I have terrible eyesight, and no word of a lie I have a hard time telling whether or not she’s eaten with that tiny body of hers.

Same problem here. Try lighted hand magnifiers and one with a stand if you haven't got those handy. They've been a huge blessing with the little'uns. The stand is especially useful at feeding/watering times.

Bought fruit flies once. It will stay at precisely only once.. Also as mentioned, they are not good as feed. The little babies really will take to crushed head pinhead crickets or cut up meal worms quite well. So much easier.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
@Storm76 first there's the money and spending 40 dollars more than the cost of the T's for shipping but most of all the millions of things that can happen between origin to destination that can kill them in the process of them being shipped and I know there's LAG but that doesn't change the fact that they died just means well try again and hope for the best

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
@Storm76 first there's the money and spending 40 dollars more than the cost of the T's for shipping but most of all the millions of things that can happen between origin to destination that can kill them in the process of them being shipped and I know there's LAG but that doesn't change the fact that they died just means well try again and hope for the best
If it helps I've ordered a lot of inverts and have had only a few freebie sling DOA's. As long as they're packed well and nothing crazy happens during shipping they will be fine.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The experience level of a shipper I'm doing business with makes me the most nervous these days. I've gotten a rash of badly shipped spiders and subsequent DOAs from people who claim to have many years experience shipping animals. I open the box, and it's a souffle cup with a single piece of paper towel and a dead spider.

Also 8+" centipedes.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
@Callysplace101 What did you need clarification on?

I thought it was a pretty self-explanatory pic but spending 20 minutes chasing a pissed off Chilobrachys huahini around my bedroom isn't exactly my idea of fun :wacky::rofl:

buzz182

Arachnosquire
Ordering T's threw the mail the hole idea bothers me to no end and I still haven't ordered any my collection would probably grow faster if I did
The whole process makes me nervous too. Having a week delay with my package (thankfully they all arrived healthy) or a T being labelled twice so I potentially could have an OW Which i'm definitely not ready for have been my most nervous experiences.

AquasFloraAndFauna

Arachnopeon
The experience level of a shipper I'm doing business with makes me the most nervous these days. I've gotten a rash of badly shipped spiders and subsequent DOAs from people who claim to have many years experience shipping animals. I open the box, and it's a souffle cup with a single piece of paper towel and a dead spider.

Also 8+" centipedes.
To be honest centipedes make me nervous in general. Wouldn't stop me keeping one though

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
1. Chemical exposure. I wash up before and after feeding and watering.

2. T room getting too cold. Power outage for any amount of time during an Indiana winter is horrible.

3. Getting tainted feeders from the pet shop.

4. Having to rehouse ow beasties.

I’ve not had any of the above problems, but they are what makes me worry

BarksandFarts

Arachnopeon

Fruit flies are terrible nutritionally lol

Bree24

Arachnosquire
Fruit flies are terrible nutritionally lol
I know. I’ve read that online before and you’re the third person to say that in this thread lol I just figured it would be nice to put my mind at ease by adding the odd fruit fly to her cricket/mealworm diet here and there. Then I could actually see that it’s gone. I know she won’t starve to death as is. It’s just what makes me nervous. ;)

(I do think I can see a little change in her abdomen after this last feeding. I THINK. Haha!)

BarksandFarts

Arachnopeon
I know. I’ve read that online before and you’re the third person to say that in this thread lol I just figured it would be nice to put my mind at ease by adding the odd fruit fly to her cricket/mealworm diet here and there. Then I could actually see that it’s gone. I know she won’t starve to death as is. It’s just what makes me nervous. ;)

(I do think I can see a little change in her abdomen after this last feeding. I THINK. Haha!)
We get termite queen swarms over here if u can culture those they make decent feeders as well just dont let em escape. Alternatively one fast breeder is red runners. Breed fast and usually in any colony u’ll have a good mix of sizes

Bree24

Arachnosquire
We get termite queen swarms over here if u can culture those they make decent feeders as well just dont let em escape. Alternatively one fast breeder is red runners. Breed fast and usually in any colony u’ll have a good mix of sizes
I’m in canada. No roaches allowed. I’d imagine the same goes for those termites. As far as I know, it’s a select number of worm/larvae species and crickets only. I’d love a colony of turks, though. :(